Used 2007 Mazda CX-7 Consumer Reviews

Used CX-7 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...65

Pros
Cons

VVT Timing Chain Issue?

houstongfamily, 03/20/2012
Sport 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was driving my Mazda CX-7 on the highway at 65 mph when my car made a loud noise from the engine and had a loss in power. I towed the car to a Mazda dealer where the technician that inspected my car stated the timing chain was missing a pin and caused the engine to break. Therefore my engine needed to be replaced. I replaced my engine at 72K miles which is slightly over the 70K mile service notice that Mazda recently put out for reimbursement from repairs related to the VVT Timing Chain. I hired a lawyer to pursue reimbursement of my engine replacement cost and would like to know if there are more cases of engine failure or repairs around/above 70K miles due to the timing chain.

Great fun cuv !!

Ken McWilliams, 10/05/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

It's more like a car than a truck. Quick and nimble but more room than Honda CR-V or Toyota rav 4

Turbo failure x 2 and only @ 63,000 miles

highland303030, 04/25/2013
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

1st turbo blown @ 43,000 miles driving down the road 30 miles an hr hear a load pop and whine and total loss of pwr. Seemed like i could only drive in 1st gear. Took to dealership and the following: 1. turbo charger replaced 2. Gasket, Turbo Charger 3. Gasket, oil pipe 4. Stud 5. Stud, Surge Tank x 8 6. Nut, Flange x 9 7. Sensor, air & Fuel 8. Pipe Fuel main 9. Valve, Selenoid Confirmed Customer concern, performed compression test and evaluated engine 175, 175, 180, 180. Engine appears not to be internally damaged, found turbo Impeller Rattling and sending engine oil into exhaust system, found no oxygen sensor signal. Replaced turbo and oil lines, replaced oxygen sensor. replaced fuel lines

Worst Car I've yet to own!

mtbrider1, 11/01/2011
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Hmmm.... let's see.... how many people have had happen the EXACT same thing as I have--Bad VVT causing timing chain stretch? Started to happen at 62k miles and thus Mazda is not standing behind the car. Luckily I caught it before it caused a snapped chain and ruined engine. Timing chains are supposed to last MUCH longer, and yet Mazda acts like it is a rare occurrence. I also struggled with the turbo lag. At first I fooled myself into thinking that it was normal for a turbo-until I owned a TDI Jetta--not even close. The unsettling lag and then surge in power at times was almost comical. The longer we owned it, the less an less we liked this car--sold it off for a new Subaru!

The Zoom We Have Been Waiting "4"

Scott Gottuso, 11/25/2006
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We looked at the Infinite FX35 and were convinced this was our next vehicle. We saw a CX-7 on the road and within two weeks flew from Florida to New York to make the purchase. We got a great deal. The CX-7 is awesome and fun to drive. It has plenty of power and tons of cool features. The little things Mazda thought of to include are huge. A small blue light the illuminates the cup holder area at night with just enough light to hit the hole. The blue/orange back lighting and the upgraded headlamps with the GT Package are a must. The price was key. All the features of the FX35 without paying for the name.

12345...65