Used 2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

My manual has great “zoom zoom zoom”
By R Dub

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

First off, mine’s a manual. I have excellent get-up-and-go (yes, with AC on) unlike some other reviews Insaw on here, & I’m guessing it’s because I’m selecting the gear for acceleration. I’ve had this car for 5 years now. I get 32 mpg- some city, but mainly half mountain pass commuting and half So Cal stop-and-go traffic fwy commuting, with my average weekly commute currently at about 300 miles. To me, with rough mikeage like that, 32mpg is excellent. I love scooting on up the mountain in this car, it’s always a pleasire to drive. It’s got great zip & has excellent handling. My husbnd says the road noise is higher than average but it has never bothered me since I put non-factory tires on it- it’s a mazing what a good tire can do. Other cars I’ve driven on these same roads are a manual 2002 Nissan Altima, a manual 2001 hyundai tiburon, and an automatic 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited. They’ve all good pep (thankfully the Jeep was post 2012 with the beefier engine!). The Altima performed very well, but my Mazda3 has performed the best on the mountian with the steep incline and some tight turns. The Tiburon did have that 6’th gear just like my Mazda3 does, which is a lot of fun but kind of hard sometimes to remember it isn’t there when you drive a 5 speed. No mechanical problems thus far. The dash glue can’t handle So Cal summers alparently, and a couple of years ago, the dash material separated by about an inch from the too middle instrument panel. The fake chrome paint stuff on my steering wheel emblem and the regular paint on my steering wheel buttons is starting to show quite a bit of wear this year which is annoying for a 6 yo car. I plan to drive it into the ground, so reselling this won’t be a problem & if all the markings go, I know what the buttons do, so not as bug of a problem for me. Mine’s a hatchback & with the back seats laid down, i can fit four of those big rubbermaid bins in there olus extra room for smaller items on top. I think that’s excellent gargo capacity. I’m having a baby soon & I tried out the carseat in the back in all 3 seats and it fits well & is easy to lean in to maneuver and adjust straps. The depth is a little short in the back which has never been a problem with adult passengers, but with the bigger car seats you do have to make sure the from seats aren’t positioned all the way back. I’m 5’6” & my husband is 6” & we both feel comfortable in it. It takes full synthetic for oil, so an oild change is $45 on the cheap end on up to $90 depending on who does it, but keep in mind it’s synthetic and you get more miles between changes- 7000-8000 instead of 3000-5000 with regular oil, so it’s comperable since frequency is half.

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring
By Ouloubay

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Just traded my beloved 2012 Mazda 3 i Touring for a 2019 CX 3 Grand Touring. I love the CX 3 but still miss my 3 i. The 3 i had much better fuel capacity (14.5 Gal) compared with around 10 for the CX 3 and got much better gas mileage. On the last day I owned the car, it averaged 48 MPG during the 45 mile drive from my home to the dealership where I traded. It then sold in 2 days. Somebody got a car that they're really going to love!

6 Speed Semi-hot Sedan
By Matthew

2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased as a daily driver. Wanted something with a fun manual transmission without the anemic HP of a Civic or Camry. The 2.5l I4 punches with 187 HP. It's not blistering fast by any means but is comparably more spirited than others in its class. Good value and reliability for the money.

sport friendly
By jclives22

2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I just purchased 9th of June with 51,000 miles one owner. Very pleased with total package. Small, but steers and drives with good pickup, smooth shifting automatic. I wanted a reliable hatchback that had some sport, good handling and good mileage. The rear storage is small but adequate with flat folding of rear seats. I read reviews and found that some reviews were unfounded with criticism of dash and navigation. I find it very user friendly and deem it a good and wise choice. Thanks for the Zoom Mazda 3, you're not a BMW or Audi but as fun and reliable without excessive cost for repairs. I had an old 626 in the day. It never asked for anything but gas and oil changes and served my family well. Thanks Mazda!!

It's the right car.
By Konrad

2012 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback w/SKYACTIV-G (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned several cars, but I recently purchased my 2012 mazda3 Skyactiv hatch just last summer so I can have a car that will provide some longevity (I've never owned a car for more than 3 years) so I figured I get something economical with some cargo space for my camping and hiking. I was looking to get a Subaru, but I found this Mazda for 10k with only 29000mi on the clock. I can say this. The car is stellar, it lacks a little off the line with the AC going, but it's a little 4 pot, so don't expect much. It's not a car for traveling with a group (but by myself it's perfect) as comfort up front is a little tight on the legs (I'm 5'11") and lacks an overhead bin and some dash cargo space for your phones and stuff. BUT on the highway I average about 41mpg. and to a tank with mixed driving I get roughly 360miles on 28 bucks. So that says something. It feels nimble, and bulletproof, the ride is firm, so get yourself some michellins or pirelli P7 to soften up the ride a bit. But all in all it's a great car that doesn't cost much to own, and it has a terrific safety record. I'm an enthusiast and the technology behind these little zoomers is everything to write home about. No turbo charger which is great because those hey pricey, and it's always fun to drive.