Used 2013 Lexus GS 450h Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Lexus GS 450h Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 Hybrid CVT Automatic - (7 reviews )

Best New Car I've Ever Owned
By Phil W.

2013 Lexus GS 450h 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 2013 Lexus GS450h with Luxury Package and Precollision with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and I have to say this is the best car I've ever owned. First of all, I LOVE driving a Hybrid and second, I LOVE the performance on this thing. 340HP and I average just a hair shy of 30MPG. I'm going to take it to Thunder Hill Race Way next month to show off to the Miata and Lotus guys... my tires are low so I figure I'd wear it out even further before putting on a new set (LOL). Third LOVE for this car is the equipment... The 18 way adjustable seats are TO DIE FOR. I am 5'6" and will never buy another car without leg extenders and adjustable side bolsters and butterfly headrest. Triple LED headlamps are also awesome. Originally, they were too low so it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to slightly adjust the beams higher and now they are perfect. My daughters, 8 and 4, are so spoiled from rear door and windshield sunshades and pleathra of buttons in the center armrest. I put them into my BASE Tacoma truck and she thought it was FANCY and HIGHTECH because of cloth seats and manual windows. Lastly, Dynamic Radar Cruise is another thing I love. If every car on the road had it, we can all set the cruise control at 75 MPH on the freeway and CRUISE on the freeway substantially reducing congestion and save gas at the same time from drafting each other and reduction in speed up/slow down. If this isn't a thing already, IT SHOULD BE. Thank you for reading!

Almost 1 year later & still loving it

2013 Lexus GS 450h 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It will be one year 12/28/14, since buying this car, and I love it. In town averaging 28-29; freeway 34-36--that compares to my Infiniti of 17 city, 23 freeway. The Lexus experience is also so much better than the San Diego Infiniti dealer. I have only 3900 miles at month 10, and one service. SD Lexus has been great. I also experienced zero defects thus far; also, much more than I can say about either of my Inifinitis. I would buy this car again. It drive and handles well, is quiet and a joy to be in. I have the luxury package, which I think helps improve the experience greatly. Trunk lighting is awful. I added an LED light in the trunk. It also needs more charging options.

Fuel economy. comfort.

trunk lighting. charging for mobile ports.

39 months later and love the car even more

2013 Lexus GS 450h 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Update: 9/2017 -- Just had 20K service and nothing to report, which is why I love Lexus. 03/17: The car had to have the first repair of any kind since purchase: The door locking mechanism/actuator required replacement. The car is still under warranty until 12/28/17, so no cost. I've had the car almost 48 months now and actually love it more than I did in the beginning. As [twice] previously mentioned, I do not drive much, as I live in downtown San Diego, mostly walking to destinations. I am averaging 29 in town, with 35-36 on the highway when driving to Palm Springs or Los Angeles. I have found driving in ECO mode is usually fine, unless I am in the desert (my car is black, so require full a/c there). Sport + is a totally fun experience, and I like that I can have it when I want it. The service experiences at San Diego Lexus were great--what a treat over the previous Infiniti experience. I recognize that this is a unique car, and most will buy the 350 rather than the 450h; but they are missing out on a true sleeper! This car is surprisingly fun to drive, comfortable and economical. It's not cheap to buy, but if one buys it at the end of the year like I did, one can make it a value close to that of the 350. I highly recommend this car.

2013 GS450h

2013 Lexus GS 450h 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased via Lexus' December to Remember event for $15K off sticker, so made purchase much easier. Price for this car is otherwise high for what it is.
Black with flaxen seats and lux package for $60K--Because of valuation, was considering 2014 ES300h with Ultra, but this price made the GS450h more palatable.
Beautiful car. Good mileage for such a large sedan. Great drive.
Traded Infiniti FX35 (2009). Liked car, but dealer experience was awful. San Diego Lexus is great and complete opposite.
I recommend this car to anyone--it has surprised even me how much I love it. The power in Sport + is awesome!
Just passed year four, and still in love with the vehicle. What a pleasure to drive. Over summer took it to the mountains and it performed excellently.

Beware of MPG Claims on the GS450h
By gilnarro

2013 Lexus GS 450h 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

In most respects, the GS450h is an excellent car. It inspires confidence and drives fine. But, there are two features that are unacceptable to this buyer: 1) Unless you purchase the Luxury pkg., you can't get the LED headlamps w/AFS. The regular bi-Xenon headlamps provide minimal illumination and are worse than any we've ever had on our Lexus autos; 2) Lexus claims that this car gets 34MPG average. While brand new, it only got 30.4 MPG. With less than 9K miles on it, this winter, we've gotten 29.2 MPG!. I'm on top of air pressure and I don't gun the car. So, it's not me; it's the car and Lexus's misleading claims.

Performance, handling, interior finish.

Install LED head lamps w/AFS as a regular feature Improve windshield wiper design so that it doesn't streak at the points. Revise MPG claims and don't mislead customers. Radically improve the navigation and phone voice commands system: It consistently mis-hears our voices, even when simply placing a call. Improve interior lighting, as well as trunk light.