Used 2015 Land Rover LR2 Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Land Rover LR2 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

Tata made BIG mistake stopping LR production
By Boston Suburban driver

2015 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought a brand new 2015 LR2 HSE with lots of extras (navigation, roof rack, tow hitch). Great car with truly unique looks. Have gone on long trips (500+ miles) to Maine, no problems in cold, ice, snow, the occasional pothole and/or curb, etc. Load up with surfboard and/or bikes, drives fine. It's a high sitting SUV so absolutely no quick turning. Handles very well in small parking lots. It's a smallish SUV when you sit inside. I use for myself mostly, but it can handle the family too. Every time I pack it up, I think the luggage won't fit, but somehow it does. If you have a few kids to move around a lot, it's probably too small. We have just one and it works fine. Would have upgraded to LR4 in a few years, but LR stopped production of that model as well?? Tried the new Discovery Sport, and it's a glorified Honda CR-V. If you want off-road, fine. If you want on-road, that's OK too. But, LR tradition and image is off-road, and the LR 2 & 4 replacement models are just not off road types at all. Very happy with LR2. Probably be a collector's item, as it's all steel framed (terrible gas guzzler), and has traditional LR suspension. The new Discovery Sport is a sedan, so it's a car undercarriage with a bubble on top (like a Subaru Forrester). I don't know why Tata is degrading/changing the LR brand, but it is doing so drastically. I love my LR2; I've driven the Discovery Sport and RR Evoke as loaner cars; I would never buy either of them. Nothing unique; nothing special; nothing rugged about either of them. Those are trying to compete with BMW X series. As a LR lover, I specifically, deliberately, and consciously want noting to do with a BMW x anything. So, I'm going to have to look elsewhere when it goes :( If you get a chance to buy one, they are fun to drive, dependable, and good in congested areas. If you live in a rural setting, it could feel small very quickly, but for tighter suburban roads, it's great. Because it's a true LR, it has the traditional stadium or "dining room chair" front seats. This provides unmatched vision for the driver. The replacement models went with "cockpit" seating, which again is OK, but has absolutely nothing, zero, zip to do with LR heritage. (really, wtf?) Here again, LR just dropped one of it's key signature features to replace it with a run of the mill everyone is doing it type of styling. Who's running this company???! LR2 is great car overall. Shame they are stopping LR models, as LR buyers (like me) won't magically change into Discovery buyers. They are very different vehicles... So, LR 2/4 buyers, maybe it's hello G-Wagon, Tahoe, Lexus GX, or luxury Wrangler (if they ever build one). Hey Jeep - there's your goal. Keep it under G-Wagon pricing and you'll have a winner! (Also, make it totally dependable and reliable, which I know is a Jeep problem, and hence why I paid double the price of a Jeep for a LR). Can't break down for any reason, anytime, anywhere. Indestructible luxury truck like SUV is what we want).

Excellent SUV for long Road Trips
By Javelin

2015 Land Rover LR2 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Not long after we got our LR2, we took a long road trip from Missouri to Nova Scotia(Canada). No problems to report here and that was about 3k miles of road. Our second road trip took us from Missouri to the west coast Seattle, Washington area and up to Vancouver, BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Canada. Coming back to the US through North Dakota and back to Missouri - the trip took 5600 miles! No problems to report whatsoever. This SUV can accelerate when needed even with full-cargo in the back and four occupants; eg, coming out from a Rest Area and into traffic. The braking is excellent. I really enjoy this car's performance; when it's 100F outside and you have the AC on at full blast, I don't see/feel any noticeable engine performance degradation or lag...the car just go. Reliable SUV from personal experience.

Great Vehicle for Anything
By Mike D

2015 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my LR2 immediately prior to one of the most punishing winters in New England history and put 13,900 miles on it in a year of driving (mixed town/highway use as a daily driver).

The all-wheel drive system of this SUV is unmatched by any other SUV in the compact market. When forced to drive in several of the blizzards with 1-2 feet of snow, I simply placed the vehicle into snow mode and had no issues driving on untreated roadways. The climate controls are all control dials, which made it easy to adjust while driving. The voice-activated navigation, heated steering wheel/seats were also incredible. The 4 cylinder turbo engine moves the vehicle, giving it a sporty and fun driving experience when paired with the nimble nature of the steering system. Another cool feature for cold weather drivers is the heated windshield. Land Rover wove miniature wires through the windshield that heats the entire thing when activated (which prevents just a small section defogging and instead rapidly dissipates condensation and ice development).

The negatives to the vehicle are its compact cabin (but it is a compact SUV and I am 6' tall), the presence of turbo lag when accelerating, the poor fuel economy when compared to other vehicles in this segment, the lack of a power liftgate (which has now become standard among LR2's competitors), and the small amount of legroom for rear passengers (once again; its a compact SUV).

In the 13,900 miles that I drove the vehicle I experienced 2 mechanical issues. The first issue was a "low coolant" message that occurred when it was -20 degrees out. The vehicle did not have low coolant however, and the message disappeared after running the engine briefly. The second issue was a "service required" message that came on after bringing the vehicle in for its first annual service. I had to bring the light to the dealership three times to stop the message from appearing. All of this was covered under vehicle warranty, however it was an annoyance and the service experience was not what I would have expected from a luxury car brand.

All said, this vehicle is incredible if you need to have the confidence to get through anything that nature throws at you (While keeping you extremely comfortable). If you're willing to compromise on that ability, other SUV's offer more technologically advanced features and much better fuel economy ratings.