Used 2001 INFINITI QX4 Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific QX4 model:

Great Value on a Solid Vehicle
By D. M. Weed

2001 INFINITI QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I picked up my QX4 last year as a daily driver, a vehicle to park outside in all kinds of weather and not worry about its cosmetics. It has proven to be reliable after I had a few issues related to age and mileage (181,000 when I bought it) addressed. These are great vehicles--decent materials, good driving dynamics, and Nissan's bulletproof 3.5L V6--that are available for very little money. The most serious issue on the QX4 is rust around the front strut towers (the front suspension can collapse if it isn't addressed), and although Infiniti will repair the problem under recall, it's a good idea to see whether the one that you're considering has a strut-tower rust problem before buying it. It handles well, and the ride is good unless the pavement becomes too uneven, and then it rides, well, like the truck that it is. Don't expect it to ride like a newer unibody crossover in all situations. Acceleration is decent, but the engine note makes the vehicle sound as if it is working hard to move. The brakes are also decent but are not exceptional. The interior is nice. Repair costs are reasonable since it is essentially a Nissan Pathfinder underneath the trimmings. I consider my QX4 one of the nicest and best vehicle purchases that I've ever made. I wanted a vehicle that could work, be fun to drive, and carry me in comfort: it's delivered on all counts.

Dependable
By Kelly

2001 INFINITI QX4 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 2003 and still going strong it the end of 2015 with170.000 miles. Had one repair in 12 years for approx
$500 and a tow. Paint started to go bad in door in 2015.

Simply admirable.
By jubal82

2001 INFINITI QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Pros:

The reliability of Infiniti.
(engine/transmission never let you down)
The classic design.
(never get tired of the look)
The quiet city cruiser.
(car-like luxury-smoothness)
The able muscle on demand.
(whenever necessary @240hp)
The attractive interior.
(quality leather all around)
The choice engineering.
(switchable Auto-2wd-4H-4L system)
The convenient features.
(4 seat heaters/2 auto seat adjustment)

Cons:

The gas guzzler.
(15-17mpg)
The tiny legroom in the back.
(not easy to get in/out as well)
The rust issues underneath/fender areas.
(questionable building quality?)

I live in a rural area where it's 60%highway and 40% off-road driving.

2001 QX4 in Canada - still going strong 2013
By ay9i

2001 INFINITI QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

170,000 kms and the only repairs have been engine coils at 150,000 ($900.) emissions sensor (2 @ $150 each) and air mass sensor ($300). The machine is excellent to drive in all conditions. The 4x4 system works very competently in snow and mud. The vehicle is well appointed, powerful, quiet and smooth. Extremely reliable.

Poor fuel economy & premium fuel
Cramped back seat (legroom)
Poor rust resistance *****

Anyone considering one MUST insist a shop remove the plastic covers over (esp. rear) wheels. EASY. A perfect looking vehicle can have BAD rust issues behind these
Must spray inner front fenders and under front of hood. These areas rust from behind & will ruin vehicle

We have had this machine 12 years. A very "car -like" ride with capable handling - even at very high speeds. Very quiet and stable - feels heavy and tough. Great smooth engine and transmission. Faultless mechanicals. Excellent quality dash and instrument layout. Plenty of protection re: airbags etc. Very durable interior materials, especially the optional interior treatment with wood(false) and leather seat facings. We will keep ours until any visible rust appears. I have a hunch this machine will run smoothly and reliably for years to come, despite it being 13 yrs old.

Model dropped long ago.

Bought new in 2000, still driving it in 2012..no issues, very reliable
By moniqx4

2001 INFINITI QX4 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in June of 2000. I owned a 1998 Qx4 which lacked power so the added 70 horsepower was a much needed improvement. I expected to keep it 10 years, but it at 12 years
(155k miles ) and it hasnt given me a reason to get rid of it. I've kept the scheduled maintenance up on it, and the only thing I've had to do outside of that, was replace items that would normally need replacing, like brakes, shocks, etc.
I got my money's worth on it.

Pros: Very reliable. Does good with towing, towed 4 sportsbikes from AZ to Cali and up and down hills didnt notice any drag. Aged well for the most part, still quiet, still comfortable, nothing leaking.

Cons: Not the fastest SUV out there

At the time I got it I loved the Navigation, it was the only vehicle that had one. however, because it was the first it was CD based, which sucks now.Still works fine thou. The size, not too big and not too small. I'm 5'2" so for me it was perfect. Drove like a car, but had the flexibility and size of a SUV that I wanted. I liked how it looked as well, when it was new got a lot of compliments and second looks, of course not so much now. LOL However,I still like how it looks, doesn't appear dated even after 12 years.

- Paint, over the years gotten quite a few chips and dings, that seem excessive. and i did wash and wax on a regular basis. - More headroom, front and back. I'm short so no issue for me, but anyone over 6 ft, in the front tends to be close to the roof, and in the backseat, not made for tall people at all. My Maxima had more headroom. - Gas mileage not the greatest. As it has aged I've lost a few gallons to the mile. getting like 16 - 17 in the city.