Used 2005 INFINITI G35 Consumer Reviews - 339 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 INFINITI G35 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G35 model:

2005 G35 - my perfect 13 yr old car
By KCM

2005 INFINITI G35 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 13 years. It's been a fun and amazing vehicle. It almost has 100k miles on it now and we've kept up the maintenance and has never had a serious issue. Still looks great and runs like a champ. Have been considering buying a new car but feel like nothing would compare to the sporty fun and reliability of my G35!

Best car I've owned, and I've had BMW, Volvo, Saab
By Lew Flagg

2005 INFINITI G35 x AWD 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

And other great cars. The Infiniti is now my wife's primary car, but she still let's me drive it from time to time. I like a sporty handling car, and this is it, firm but not harsh. People think I have a new car and don't believe it is 12 years old with 152,000 miles on it. I'd like to replace it, but I'm having trouble prying my wife's hands off the steering wheel.
Finally in the Spring of 2018, when the car was 13 years old with 155,000 miles on the odometer, I traded the Infiniti for a Subaru Legacy, partly because the nearest Infiniti dealer here in Maine is 45 miles away.

My 2005 Infiniti G35X Sedan (Great Luxury Car)
By Nissan Guy

2005 INFINITI G35 x AWD 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 Infiniti G35X (All Wheel Drive) sedan with 94,000+ miles on it on the beginning of August 2016. This car is my daily driver. It was in great condition and I really love the way this car drives. Especially, the roar of the muffler. I had this vehicle toward the end of summer and now through the fall and winter. It handles well on dry and wet roads. I love the stiff suspension and the the heated seats, mirrors, power everything and cool features like the ability to (by factory remote) lower all four windows down at the same time as your walking towards your vehicle. This model came without the navigation system which was okay with me. So, I read a lot about these cars on various forums specific to the G35. Let me start off by saying my gas mileage was horrible initially. I was averaging about 14 mpg in the city and highway. So, I reset the trip computer by simply disconnecting the battery for over an hour which rest the computer. Afterward, I drove moderately around the city and on the highway. In other words, I didn't punch it at every single stop,etc... My mileage improved to over 20 mpg in the city and highway. The system adjusts itself to the driver. So, if you really push this car all the time you will get poor gas mileage. If you test it's ability on occasion you'll get good gas mileage. BTW, I suggest sticking with the premium gas. It's just better for performance. Oil consumption happens with the engines as you get around 100k. It will burn about a quart of oil every 1,500-2000 miles. It's normal. Nothing to be alarmed about. I'm using conventional oil but will probably change to high mileage. Others use synthetic oil but I had a lot of leak issues with a Maxima when I turned to it. If your car hasn't been using synthetic I would suggest not using it when it has higher mileage. The brake issues heard about with these cars can be remedied by buying after market brakes and pads instead of the defective Nissan. Overall, the car gives you the luxury and ride of a BMW and Mercedes at a fraction of the repair cost. After all, you're riding in a Nissan. A Nissan that was engineered to compete with those European cars. For a car thats 12 years old it's still gets looks. Now, it doesn't have usb ports so you'll have to add. I had to use a plug in phone holder through the cigarette lighter because there really isn't a good place to put your phone. And i have my usb port through it. Oh, and every instrument light in the car is amber color. Basically a light orange. Some people hate it. Others like it or their indifferent to it. Personally, I think it's okay.I like the car too much to worry about something that trivial. Nissan didn't make it all red because they didn't want to copy BMW and Mercedes. If you want a solid sedan with 280 horse power that won't be super expensive to fix, this is the vehicle for you. Keep in mind, with any used car you buy it's important to get one in good condition. This car can last for over 200,000 miles and I plan to keep mine for another 100,000+ miles.

Beautiful, reliable, sports GT...
By Joseph

2005 INFINITI G35 Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car in July of 2010 and have not regretted it for a single moment. I chose a diamond graphite coupe, 6MT revup, with black leather interior. I wanted a sports coupe that provided a sense of luxury and performance without breaking the bank. When I purchased this car I was considering one of my long time favorites; the BMW E46 M3, along with the G37 coupe, and BMW 335i coupe. Though I knew both BMWs were better performers, I decided against them after extensive research that showed I would likely experience expensive regular maintenance and frequent, costly repairs. The G37 was also faster and had an upgraded, nicer interior, but the exterior left something to be desired for my taste.

This car is extremely reliable, low cost maintenance, and loads of fun. I literally look forward to driving it every day. The G35 coupe is truly a beautiful car with a timeless design and I get compliments on it all the time from tuners, luxury car owners, to casual, young and old. I would argue it is one of Infiniti's best exterior designs. Concerning maintenance costs, this car has been great. I purchased it with 50k on the odometer and with it being a daily driver, it now has 166k on the odometer. My most expensive repairs have been replacing the clutch / flywheel at 150k and the power steering pump shortly after; both for under 2k... that's it! I had to replace the steering wheel clock spring and did it myself for around $50 dollars. (Used part)

PROS...
APPEARANCE - now this is of course completely based on ones preference, but I think this car is beautiful... and based on the feedback I get on almost a daily basis, the G35 is an aesthetically pleasing design, even by today's standards. It still holds its own next to the newest designs. It was truly innovative and groundbreaking at its debue and it still shows today with the timeless, classic lines, defining its motif.

PERFORMANCE - fun, fun, fun... Strong, responsive engine. With 298hp it is not the fastest out there but still a competitive performer. This particular engine is shared with the 35th anniversary 350Z 300hp engine. The only difference in the intake assembly making a difference of about 2hp. With the 350Z 'Z tube' you get to the even 300hp mark.

SOUND - the exhuast note is glorious (almost exotic) and coveted by many car enthusiasts. One of the best 6 cylinder exhaust notes around, especially in this price range. Most are either too raspy, high pitched or simply unheard. I get thumbs up all the time for the G's unique, tonal qualities. Pure bliss...

RELIABILITY - The engine still runs like new and doesn't miss a beat. It does burn a little oil... about 1 quart every 3-5k between oil change intervals.

PRACTICALITY - Great, especially considering it is a coupe. I have a 16 month old and a 3 month old and I can get them both in the back seat. (One forward facing and one rear facing child seat) with plenty of room for myslef at 6ft. Trunk space is actually decent and the rear seats let down for larger items. Headroom is good up front, but the back not so much for taller passengers.

CONS...
RIDE COMFORT - don't expect a Cadillac /Benz plush ride. With the low stanced Nismo-tuned sport suspension, this car has a firm ride no doubt. I don't mind it much, but my wife and other passengers have stated it is less than desireable. It is smooth on the open highway, but does not absorb bumps and potholes well as you would expect from a 'luxury car'. It is slightly softer than the 350Z.

NOISY Manual Transmission - On forums, the G35 and 350Z 6spd transmissions are often referred to as 'the rock crusher'. The clutch is noisy and chattery. You really notice it when sitting at drive thrus. Mine is even more noisy since I replaced the flywheel with a single mass, opposed to the oem dual mass.

QUALITY / Materials - Interior materials are not the best but have held up well. An average mix of leather, plastics, and real aluminum trim that were fair and comparable for the mid 2000's.

AUDIO / Electronics... The stereo sounds good but the interface is old and dated. I have since replaced it with a modern double-din touch screen that resolves this and many other technology related desires.

TIRE WEAR - in its stock configuration, this car's camber setup eats up tires (inner wear) and does not have the adjustability needed to align for long wear. However, I purchased SPC's front and rear camber kit and can get a flat alignment that wears even for 40k.

Anyway, I could get a lot more granular with this review but all things considered, I absolutely love this car. The pros outweigh the bad by multitudes. It has been a great car and I plan on keeping it for years to come. I am a detail enthusiast and take immaculate care of all vehicles I own, so I expect it to continue running and looking great. I would definitely recommend it to someone who is looking for a classy, reliable, grand tourer...

If you have $8K to spend on a sporty sedan in 2016
By Infinitimama

2005 INFINITI G35 Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

You can't go wrong with this car. My old car died unexpectedly, so I was in a bind to get something that looked good, was inexpensive but sporty and had four doors. I found this clean six-speed manual G35 on a used car website, the price was only $8700. It had 85K miles on it, was in great shape inside and out, had 18 inch wheels, dark tint, black on black with leather interior and the Bose radio. I only drive manual transmission cars, so I jumped on it, and I've had it two weeks now. It's not perfect, but I seriously love this car. The GREAT things about it are: It's quick. Acceleration is top notch! Shifting is short and smooth, passing is easy, and the engine has a low roar that will get you in a good mood. It feels solid on the road. Handling is great. The styling doesn't scream "I'm 11 years old!" at all. It still looks really good. When I tell people it's a 2005, they are surprised. Other good things to note - the inside is roomy for a sports sedan, even in the back seat. Power outlets, three cubbies for storage, in-dash 6 disc CD changer, and an armrest that comes down with cupholders for the rear passengers. I like the location of the clock and the features like cruise control, seat memory, and the dash are easy to use and locate. As far as getting a sporty sedan with the most bang for your buck, a used G35 is the way to go. Now - the bad stuff is the same as other reviewers. The inside is a bit noisy - little clicks, clanks and creaks as you are driving. They are slight but you will notice them after a while and wish they would go away. I also don't know why the Bose audio is supposed to be spectacular because it's nothing special. Not much bass unless you really crank it. I'm already thinking about upgrading the head unit and speakers, because I had better factory audio in my old Mustang. The inside materials and design are also basic and nothing special. Also the turning radius seems a bit wide. Overall though, unless you are really nitpicky about the negatives, I would recommend this car in a heartbeat.

UPDATE...Edmunds asked me to update my review. I've had the car six months and I still love it. I just might be an Infiniti fan for life.