Used 2016 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...13

Pros
Cons

Awesome Value! Got A Lot For My Cash

Genette T, 02/25/2018
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Update-March 2020- The 2016 Sonata that I purchased is holding up real well. Even though I have 54,000 miles on it. I have not had to replace any tires (about 50% wear on them and nothing has gone wrong. It is simple, well maintained, well running car. I wish it was more exciting to drive. To solve that issue, I purchased a 2015 Mazda 6 used, with a manual transmission. It is my daily driver and I use the Sonata for the long road trips. The only maintenance I have done is change the transmission fluid, had the oil changed a few times, replaced the air and cabin filters. Other than that, it is all good! Purchased this car four years ago to replace a new 2016 Civic, that I found to be too small, with seats that didn't support well and uncomfortable on very long drives. If you have ever owned a Camry, this is the Korean version of one. The less exciting things are. 1) The 2.4L engine is rather tepid, if you think you are going to make burn-out marks on the street, you will be wrong. It kind of eases into highway traffic and you have to stomp on it (it will scream at you when you do), to get some good merging on a very busy and loaded highway. However, for regular surface streets, it accelerates well enough. Handling also is kind of on the sloppy side, so if you whip it around a corner at high speed, don't be surprised if it tries to whip you back. In other words, it gets a little bit floaty and may not go exactly where you point it. It will eventually settle down. Tire grip is okay, but the Kumho tires on it are not as quiet as some BF Goodrich's that I've used on other cars. They will be replaced by Pirelli's or BF Goodrich's. So, you wonder why I purchased it? I knew about the handling and tracking because I've rented this vehicle several times. The first reason is fuel economy. This car when driven continuously on the highway at around 70mph, gets about average 34 to 36 miles per gallon. Even in mix traffic, I very seldom get less than 32 mpg. In a 250 mile drive recently, where I had it cruising at 65mph, the car achieved, 39.75 miles per gallon. For a car that can easily handle four adult passengers, or 5 passengers with kids in the back, that is phenomenal. It is a very quiet cruiser, on very long drives there is not a lot of noise intrusion, which can increase driver fatigue. The entertainment system is very simple to use, with large fonts and nice size push buttons for phone, media, radio, blue-tooth and the like. It also works very well with my Android phones. The visibility behind the steering wheel is excellent to the front, sides and the rear. The trunk is very large and you can throw a lot of stuff into it. Also, the layout inside is simple and the quality of the materials is decent. Most important was the price. Getting the Sports model with twin exhausts (that make it look sporty, even though it is not), LED daytime running lights, the darker chrome in the front and then putting dark, tinted windows on it. Well, it looks like a design that although a little bit boring, well still look good in 6 years. At just over $21K, none of the other mid-size (large mid-size) cars could match it for the equipment and features One more thing, I have had no real issues with this vehicle at all and I'm at 39,000 miles. The entertainment system went weird after two months of purchase. Hyundai ordered me a radio, received it and installed it in about a week. It still has another 20,000 on the bumper to bumper warranty and more than a 100,000 on the powertrain.

Almost three years now. So far, so good!

Genette, 04/30/2016
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is an update! I've had the 2016 Sonata SE for about 3 years now. So far, I have had no real issues with the car. It has about 57,000 miles, because it is primarily used for long distance driving, versus the local around town stuff. The only issue I ever had was with the radio and Hyundai promptly changed that out for me, around the first 5,000 miles. I change the oil about every 4,000 miles, and have changed the transmission fluid already, at 53,000 miles. The tires, a Kumho brand, are not my favorites. But I will say, that they still have a lot of wear life on them, at this mileage point. Driving? It is a smooth, but definitely boring care, especially, after comparing it to my 2015 Mazda6, that I bought used. The Mazda6 is the daily driver. The mileage runs at least 35 to 36 mpg on the highway for long distance. Seldom does it go below 31 mpg when driving in the city. I'd like to trade it for a Camry with all of the safety features, but can't justify that, since the car is working quite fine. Not exciting, not fast, does do a little leaning on hard turns. But it is a good car, so far! No complaints

2016 sport/limited

sngldad1@bellsouth.net, 04/04/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great overall value. Comfort level is good with seats, multi position electric drivers seat is roomy and comfortable, however, my knee seems to be pinned against the shift console so I have to move the seat back further than I'm comfortable with. Same with my previous sonata(2011).. Technology features with android auto are great. Didn't come with garage opener remote. that option was 10 times the cost of ordering another remote and clipping it to the visor...So far with econo function engaged I'm averaging 35 mpg.

living the dream

Karen Borinstein, 06/20/2016
SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love the car I chose. I am very frugal so to me I spent more than I wanted. Love the safety features but wish you did not have to purchase packages to obtain them. I guess you pay for the quality you get. I am happy every time I get in my car to go somewhere. It is a joy.

new sonata

joe owens, 07/06/2016
Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

this is by far the best Hyundai we have owned and this is number 5. it is a fine car for a reasonable amount of money even if it cost more than our first house .

12345...13