Used 2016 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

Used Sonata for Sale
Select your model:
12345...13

Pros
Cons

Really great car, with one hiccup.

Doug, 04/28/2016
Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Updated, after a year: We spent several weeks researching and test driving different cars before deciding on the Sonata, and then at the last minute saw the value in bumping up to the Sport model with sunroof and other goodies at a bargain. Overall we're very impressed with the car. It feels luxurious and solid, and a quiet ride was an important thing to note as we test drove cars. Turned out though that after all that testing and deciding, we didn't actually test drive the Sport model before we bought it, thinking it was basically the same car as a standard Sonata, just with a sunroof. But now I know the Sport model comes with different low profile tires which makes for more road noise than the standard Sonata. Still, this is quieter than most, and reviews online say that it will lose more road noise with updated tires. The stock tires get really bad reviews. After a year, I now know that what I feel as a slight dancing of the front wheels at cruising speed (compared to my well-tracking heavy full-size truck), probably will not go away with new tires. It's due to the electronic steering system, compared to a hydraulic steering that most cars use. Rather than a smooth rotation of the steering wheel and tires, what I feel as I make slight corrections at freeway speed is nothing, nothing, then too much. This is something you have to drive the car a while to notice, and on really smooth roads it's more noticeable. I didn't notice it on the short test drives. If you look up this issue specifically, you'll find forum discussion about it. There are three different settings for the steering that the dealership can change in five minutes. It's normal, sport, and something else. I had it changed once, to sport I think, and didn't notice a difference. My wife doesn't notice it at all--or just thinks it's normal, so I haven't messed with it again, but plan to try another of the settings when we take it in for the next oil change. Android Auto has a lot of cool features--like GPS and Pandora, but it's really clunky that the phone must be plugged-in at this stage of Bluetooth technology. This is primarily my wife's car, and she simply doesn't bother with it, so those features are lost to her. There are now a couple small squeaks that are from the surprisingly tight fit of the interior. For example, there is no gap between the dashboard and pillars, and I suspect it's this tightness of fit where I'm getting squeaks. As I do in my truck, I'll eventually locate the noises and slip cardboard or something in as a washer between squeaking surfaces. Again though, of everything we looked at, the Sonata really stood out. It looks good, is small enough for a daily commuter, but comfortable and roomy for a long drive, with spacious and comfortable rear seats--which was in fact the first thing I looked at, by sitting in the back seat first. At the rate my wife drives, this car will last well beyond the average. While I originally knocked fuel economy--because our average was coming in under 30, it now runs around 30, 32 on road trips, which is closer to the rated mileage.

Fantastic Upgrade!!

Austin Dailey, 05/18/2016
Sport 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love it!!!! I was trying to get out of my '14 Sentra SV that I felt I was over paying for. Only 1.5k miles on the car and I love the change to a larger sedan, I get almost the same gas mileage as I had with my Sentra by driving on the freeways a bit more that surface streets. It has the power for me to navigate traffic with ease. I also ended up getting the sport edition with quite a few of the additional packages, and I love everything I got, and its definitely worth the ~$100 difference in my payments. My only wish is that the BlueLink last longer, or was less expensive to renew. It's definitely worth looking into, it's about 10 times the car other manufacturers were trying to sell me. Update (11/21/19): another 30k miles on the car and it's still fantastic! Only problems are with infotainment no longer displaying the time, manufacturer states the warranty only covers 3yr/36k miles for that, and left multi-switch (the one that controls turn indicator) had to be replaced. Outside of that it's still wonderful!

Gave Hyundai another chance!!!!!!!

Chad Walden, 09/03/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My first Hyundai I bought in 1993. This was my first car ever. It was a 1993 Hyundai Excel GS. After a 6 months of having the car I begin to have trouble. The check engine light came on. When I pushed the clutch in the car shut off. After several trips to the dealership, the cause was the ground wire to the engine had broke. Well by then I didn't want the car. I said that I would never purchase another Hyundai. Well I was wrong!!!!! I was looking for another car due to a my 3 year old kicking my seats in my 2007 Volkswagen Jetta. My heart was set on a 2014 Toyota Camry. Well I was introduced to the 2016 Hyundai Sonata. Let me tell you!!!! This car is crazy!!!!! Hyundai did their homework and research! Excellence is all I can say. I really am enjoying this Hyundai. I hope and pray nothing happens to it but if it does, I will buy another one. Too may awesome features to name. GREAT JOB HYUNDAI!!!!!!!!!

Comfort, bells and whistles but still cheap

Gaius Gracchus, 02/08/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you are after a vehicle that has a lot of space and nice features - like a backup camera, adjustable passenger seat (height, too!), automatic mirrors, etc., for a low price, you may consider the Hyundai Sonata 2016. It has tons of passenger room and the seats are pretty comfortable. The turning circle for a car this size is great (much better than the Accord, for example). It also has a surprisingly quiet ride and is not too bumpy. However, Hyundai still does not know how to make a good engine. When you start your car in the morning, it rattles and taps like an old sewing machine. After a bit it quiets down. Also, at a stop when you are idling, it will start to vibrate a lot. It sometimes seems to shudder upon acceleration or even sometimes coming to a stop. Thankfully it has a good warranty, but if you do not follow the maintenance rules exactly, they will void your warranty in a heartbeat. It is probably best to get them to do the oil changes, even, so that they can't say you did not do it properly. Hyundai is notorious for trying to bug out of honoring their warranty.

Im leasing this car

David Cutich, 07/07/2016
Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love it. I upgraded from an '09 Ford Focus so honestly this is a huge upgrade. I got the Limited package with the tech package. Its amazing. It rides well, the entertainment package is awesome, the infinity speakers are great, I love the ventilated seat and the heated seats. The heated steering wheel is a cool feature. The sport mode tightens the steering up and it handles like a dream and it nicely adds a little get up and go. The ECO mode adds gas mileage while going down the highway. The normal driving mode is a nice drive too. I love this car and it was between this and the kia optima with the tech package. I loved both cars and they are both on the same body but I got a better deal on the Sonata for a lease. They honestly handle the same and amenities are the same, however I did like the Harmon and Kardon speakers a little better than the infiinities. But, Im confident in the Sonata and the features are great. I would definitely lease another one after this lease is up. If you're on the fence between this and anything else, pull the trigger you wont regret it. Especially if you are coming from a car like the ford focus or some other compact car. The space is literally uncomparable. I could fit 2 Ford "Foci" in this car. (Obvious hyperbole, kinda)

12345...13