Used 2009 Hyundai Azera Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Azera Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Azera model:

Simply Outstanding Value!
By Tanis M.

2009 Hyundai Azera Limited 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is simply outstanding. I have the Limited model and am very pleased with it. The ride, comfort...the technical amenities. This car is loaded. You can't ask for more. I only have three issue with the car...and I'm really nit picking to find two of them. One is the hunting around gears 3 & 4 when climbing a hill. Two is the visibility of the Radio/Navigation screen during a specific time of day as the sun goes down...it becomes difficult to see due to glare. The final one...gas mileage, I feel, is more of a byproduct of the "class" of vehicle the Azera is trying to compete with. Big luxury cars usually do not have good gas mileage and this one is no different. While not the worst MPG on the planet, I've been averaging about 28, it is still about 5 mpg lower than I would like. A positive spin on the MPG is at "least" the vehicle takes 87 grade octane and not the 89 or 91 the other luxury brands call for. Definitely helps in the wallet.
Other than that, this vehicle is money. One suggestion that I HIGHLY recommend...make sure, if you buy this from any type of dealer, to purchase whatever extended warranty they are offering. With this much technology and various bells/whistles something is bound to go wrong; nothing is perfect. That stuff is super expensive to repair so make sure you are covered. I bought my car from CarMax with a little over 37,000 miles on it. The warranty added an extra $40/month to the payment for the top warranty but I'll have no deductible and will get everything fixed, bumper to bumper, for the next 100,000 miles. One final note. If you want a "driver's car" then do skip the Azera...this is a get from point A to B car in supple comfort, quiet and enjoyment.

110,000 reasons to like my Azera (Updated 10/5/17)
By Bill

2009 Hyundai Azera Limited 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

The '09 Azera has been a great car. The car itself is a sleeper in value and performance. You get a luxury car, lots of extras, great materials at a reasonable price. I really like it and will continue to keep it. The only drawback I have is that the nav system changed from one manufacturer to another and Hyundai didn't contract to have the updates available. Therefore the maps haven't been supported in the last half dozen years or so. I'm sure the newer models are updatable but mine isn't. Upkeep has been routine, nothing out of the ordinary. However, tomorrow it goes in to have knock sensors replaced. The check engine light came on and the remedy is $600 for the dealer to replace the sensors (buried deep in the engine). I'm not happy about it but after all these years, I'll keep it maintained. I sure won't be trading it in any time soon. I would buy another '09 Azera that has been well maintained without hesitation. BTW, I bought it "new" in 2010. The '09 and '10 are identical and the dealer was anxious to get the older inventory off the lot.

Update 10/5/2017 - It's still going strong. Now being driven by my son-in-law. The only repair was a driver door handle. Took 10-15 min to replace. I purchased a 2017 Azera Limited. It has all the bells and whistles but to be honest, I still like the handling and performance of the '09. Having the '09 with the '17 technology would be the best of both worlds. I haven't changed and would buy a well maintained '09 Azera in a heartbeat.

Update 10/5/2018 - I'm watching my son-in-law wash the car. He an my daughter are having a get-away weekend in St Augustine. I'm guessing that mileage is well over 150K by now and the car is still beautiful. There have been no mechanical issues. My 2017 Azera has 20K but the '09 is still my favorite.

Best Car I've Owned So Far!
By Hawkskill818

2009 Hyundai Azera Limited 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

I've had Volvos, Chryslers, Nissans, and Subarus. But, I've owned my Azera Limited for about 2 years now, and it is the best car I've ever owned, hands down. It is comfortable, powerful, fuel efficient, has a great sound system, and is SAFE! Consistently averages about 25-26mpg at speeds of 80mph, close to 30mpg around 70mph. I was also rear-ended at about 50mph in this car, the appraisers and auto body employees said if I was hit at any higher speed the car would've been totaled, but I came out completely unscathed! No whiplash or even a backache! It also performs very well in inclement weather, remains sure footed in rain, and the ESC system helps a lot in the snow as I have never gotten stuck and rarely slide around. It is also an extremely reliable car, I have never had any issues with anything on it. This is definitely a diamond in the rough car for Hyundai, and I will proudly buy more Hyundai products for many years to come because of my experiences with this one!

Great car but not for snow!
By seagypsy1000

2009 Hyundai Azera GLS 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I had my Azera for over two years and I absolutely loved it! However, with any kind of ice on the road, the car became completely undrivable. I had really good tires on it and even going down straight, smooth, flat roads with any type of ice on them, the car would fishtail all over the place. Ultimately, I decided I had to trade it in or risk winding up in the ditch in the winter. If I lived where there was no snow, I would have never given this car up! I was told by a dealership that even with studded tires, the car would still act the same way. It's a car meant for cruising and that it does very well.

Heated seats, Sirius XM built in, smooth driving, sun roof, auto seats.

I don't know how to make this car do better under icy conditions but that would be the only thing I can think of that could make this car any better.

Azera
By Dave Stoltz

2009 Hyundai Azera Limited 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 5A)

My wife is the major driver and she loves the car and the features like heated seats etc. After correcting a tire problem the car is once again riding very smooth with good handling capabilities.

Level of control with all features within reach.

For someone 6'2" there isn't much leg room when driving the vehicle, best fits someone shorter.