Used 1997 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Best car I have owned, and I have had 82 cars
By Kenneth Hausmann

1997 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

The best buy is the DOHC VTEC, second best is the SOHC VTEC. I like driving this car more than any car I have ever owned, and that includes Corvettes, Mustangs, a Jaguar, even an NSX. They are fun, agile, cheap, great gas mileage, nothing is expensive on them. Quick off the line, AC has no problem with tiny cabin, even in Texas heat. Fairly rare now, DOHC VTEC's are very, very rare. I have had 8 Del Sols in my life, I love these cars. Both of my sons drive one as well. Great value on these cars, just watch for rust, modifications, and accident damage.

My Prize possession of 20+ years, 1995 V-tec dels
By stevie bleu

1997 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

I bought my car with 45,000 on it and now its got 230,000. The most expensive repair ive had to do in 20 years is one water pump and timing belt , If you can find one to buy that's not been modified, the stock V-tec with 5 speed will absolutely fly and it runs like a clock, when you start doing the mods on the engine your going to lose dependability in my opinion but that's your choice, The only negative with my car has been the paint the clear coat started peeling years ago a body shop guy told me it was common for this year and model color (RED) GO Honda cant beat them even older used ones that's been taken care of solid transportation , dependability, Maintenance cost, less repairs than most.

Awesome investment
By G Cl3aN

1997 Honda Civic del Sol VTEC 2dr Coupe

This is a 2 person ride only! Must be at least 48" to ride this baby. Not a family car. But if you want to get from A to B quick; here you go. I got lucky with my purchase. 1997 Honda Del Sol V-Tech with 97,000 miles! No engine leaks or problems. New tires with original wheels. No leaks at the targa or trunk. Still had the spare tire and jack that was never used. Leather seats that needed updating but no biggie. The kid before installed an Alpine stereo with new speakers. Except the subwoofer is gone :( But they didnt mind if I kept the Rockford Fosgate 800a2. Niiiiice! At 20 years old she just has a small dent in fender and faded paint. But that doesnt stop her from passing you up on the freeway. Love the 35 mpg. I just bought her a week ago and I cant wait to begin to restore her. But even if I didnt restore she is a good investment.

Fun Coupe
By John Hed

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

Great little fun car. Love the easy to remove and store targa top. Even when stored I could still fit a couple sets of golf clubs an small cooler! Only little 2-seater I've found that can do that! Great visibility, wonderful seats and almost no wind with the top off and windows up.

love the car
By roadkill7007

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

i recently bought this car as my first car and i never knew all that is was a rare car to find. i dont know if its a VTEC, SI or an S but it's manual. after some couple of adjustments and part replacements, the car works amazing and fine. although the car has more than 250,000 miles on it; it has no trouble on the motor and it doesn't suffer to accelerate fast and to make all the shifts. if somebody is able to buy this car, get it. it is very worth it once it is how you want it.

1. able to take off the top to make it convertible 2. acceleration and the motor sounds when accelerating is amazing 3. small car makes it easy to fit in small parking spaces in parking lots.

1.could improve the stereo system 2.lights, headlights and taillights. 3.replace the seats with new seats. 4.repaint it with new quality paint