2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Consumer Review: Still Great After 65K Miles

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid - Consumer Review

Touring Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Still Great After 65K Miles
By newhopian on

2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After three years and 65K miles, I love this car. I reliably get over 50mpg from April through October (Pennsylvania) and am averaging 53mpg since the beginning of Spring. Winter mpg reliably is above 45, except when the temperature s in the teens or lower (can be as low as 39mpg on a given trip). These numbers are an aveage across multiple trips. If I drive a short distance (5 miles or less), mpg typically does not rise above 42, unless the battery is fully charged at the beginning of the trip. Best mpg are seen when driving longer distances, such as my 50 mile commute to work, where I see 54-60mpg on any given commute. The trick to maximizing mpg is utilizing the gas engine when accelerating and reserving battery use for maintaining speed on flat and downhill road. Because of regenerative breaking, my brake pads have ~60% life remaining, and my tires probably won't be replaced until I reach 75K. The interior leather and all electronics have held up well, and I have only been to the garage for inspections and oil changes (which are required every 10-11K). I have put a couple scratches on the alloy tire rims parallel parking, but other than this, the exterior is like new. The LED headlights are fabulously bright, although I do occasionally have oncoming cars think that my brights are on (there are two low beams on each side of the car).

• Outward visibility
  • Bluetooth
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By newhopian
on 01/15/15 14:40 PM (PST)

I was asked if there is anything that I dislike about this car, and the answer is yes for minor issues. First, the navigation menu does not open when "Not on a digitized road" while driving. Second, my iPhone cannot connect to the Bluetooth if previously connected to the USB port. You have to unplug it, connect the Bluetooth, then replug into the USB. Third, if somebody other than me wants to play music via Bluetooth, then I have to switch it off on my iPhone. Fourth and last, I fear getting a flat tire and not having a spare (has run-flat tires). These four things are minor inconveniences (well, babe the tire could be a bigger one), and they would not prevent me from buying this same car again. They also would not prevent me from recommending the Accord hybrid to a friend.

By newhopian
on 06/04/14 07:20 AM (PDT)

The final comment on mpg with the cruise control on references lower mpg when the ACC is active and better mpg when the driver is controlling speed.