Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

“Cool car”!
By John Papier

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

“Cool” because A/C has never been recharged since new, 18 years, and still works great. (145,000 miles). Engine replaced at 115,000 miles and ‘rack and pinion’ steering replaced at about 60,000 miles. Transmission seal blown at about 100,00. One window motor replaced and side door lock mechanism replaced at about 123,000. Retained for loading bikes (3) inside and loading mulch, etc. and lawn debris to the dump.

Should have turned it back in
By K Miller

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought it used, first mistake. Had a 90 day warranty. The week before the warranty expired, transmission went out. They replaced it at their cost but we had to pay for a car rental and deductible. Paid the van off and everything went down from there. Was told a lot of stuff in front end needed replaced, cost $1000. Had rear axle replaced due to recall and something in the front was fixed previously on a recall but not fixed right so they fixed it again. Had to pay for rental car again. Instrument panel flips out and does crazy things when it feels like it, not fixing it. Turn signals don't always turn off or switch to other side on their own, not fixing it. Brake light module went out and had to have it rewired since the part is no longer made. Heat/A/C lever broke since it's plastic, was able to fix myself, $50. Traction sensor bad (fixed for $250) and traction wheel bad, not fixing, was told another $100. Cruise control doesn't work right. Weird rattling sound started, was told it's the flex plate and would be $1000 more. Rattle sound started to only happens when A/C is on so I don't use the A/C. Only rattles when sitting at a light for a long time. Not sure I believe the plate is bad since sound comes and goes, sounds more like something is loose and rattling. Now, the motor went. Engine smoking and oil on the road. Had to have it towed and we were about 1 1/2 hours from home. We did check the oil before driving that day and it was about 1/2 quart low. Was planning on filling it when we got back. Now get to pay a huge tow bill. There were other repairs I can't remember right now. Total spend on van, was supposed to be less than $10,000 but was well over $20,000. This was supposed to last me at least 5 years. Didn't make it 2 1/2. We do take very good care of our vehicles. More than frustrated, not sure if it's the vehicle or dealer to blame. Since it's paid off, they don't care. Told me it's time for a new car. **update 2/3/18. Still driving and still costing me more. Get a new car? All my money is in this van.

Wouldn't buy another 99 Windstar!
By Rachelle

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought the van from an elderly couple with only 128k. Seemed great at the time. The blinker for some reason whenever you'd turn on the left one would flash a light on the dash like a bulb was out (it wasn't). No mechanics could figure out the problem. The heater fan quit working. Developed some electrical problem with the dome lights so when your driving at night they'd just randomly come on and stay on or sometimes they'd strobe. The back passenger door quit opening from the inside and would only unlock whenever it decided to. When the door wouldn't unlock you could not do it manually so the kids would have to climb through. Then around 140k the head gasket started leaking and between 140k and 150k the tranny just blew. I am a Ford lover all the way but they totally FAILED with this vehicle!

Do not buy
By Meechie

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

When I firt purchased in March of 2010 I was excited. We had our 4th child, we needed the room. I purchased with 128,000 miles. First 6 months of owning caliper was sticking which cracked my rotor on front driver side. 2 weeks later the heat sensor went and the water pump along with power steering pump. I knew it's was a older vehicle so I wasn't expecting top notch condition. Only passenger side door unlock and lock when pressing the button, have to unlock and lock driver side doors manually. The driver sliding door keeps sticking so you have to keep putting oil on it or WD-40. I kept regular maintenance (oil changes, breaks etc.) Could never fix antifreeze leak, it would just leak in another spot. Seems like each time I turn around something else needed to be fixed. Each time I got the engine light off to get inspected if comes back on a month later for another issue so I gave up and just waited when it was time to renew the inspection. In 2011 experience signs of transmission failure. August of 2013 around 140,000 miles had head gasket replaced. February of 2014 transmission failed completely, replaced with another used transmission. The cluster instrument also goes hay wire I also had that replace and doing the same thing again. Emergency break never worked from the beginning and still don't. 2013 I had to replace the front frame that holds the transmission and engine due to it rusting out so bad, if i didn't the transmission would of fell on the ground, I talked to Ford but they said they can't do nothing about it. The van now has 146,000 miles on it. This is nothing but a money pit I would not recommend this vehicle to anybody. I wish I would of done my research but you live and learn. Not reliable at all, the only thing I can say I never was stranded I always got home when something went wrong.

Don't waste your money
By toomanyfords

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

Purchased a used 99 in 2010 with about 100 k miles on it. Within a year the transmission went out. Had it rebuilt and it did fine after that. Bought it with a small oil leak and it burned more and more oil over the next 4 1/2 years until one day the engine seized out of nowhere at 145k miles. I have to say the engine held up for a long time with obvious issues before it finally quit. But... it did have the issues in the first place. Other than that, never had any other problems with it ( lol). My overall impression of this van... well it's not worth the couple thousand they go for used. Save your money.

The a/c worked good