Used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Used Escape Hybrid for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...31

Pros
Cons

Escaping the gas pump!

Daniel Romans, 09/20/2016
4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My last 2006 Escape Hypbid I had for several years with no issues until I hit a Cow Elk at 60 mph. I bought this one to replace it. This one has more electronic features and so far seems to be even better in the mileage department. It is the most economical SUV I've heard of. I get over 30mph average mileage, nice looking inside and out, easy to drive. My previous one four wheel drive did real well in deep snow as well as plowed snow and slush, I'm expecting no less from this one. Update. My "new" 2006 Escape Hybrid has been a major blessing for my wife and me. It does great in the snow and the mileage is great for an SUV. We are forced to drive over not so maintained rural roads in all kinds of weather and it handles just fine. Bought a "Yakima" clam shell carrier for the top and replaced the original tires with Michelins. Gas mileage went down only about two mpg, so still very happy with the vehicle. update 2018. Still going strong. Many miles put on since. To get over 30 mpg, I have to keep it below 65 on the highway, and not put the ac on max so the gas engine runs continually in city driving. Upgraded the tires to Michellins 2 years ago instead of the suggested hybrid tires. Mileage has gone down by about 2mpg but the tires between the added traction and tire wear, it has been well worth it.

Awesome

D.Wit, 11/18/2006
4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For an SUV, it's a great little truck. The hybrid/gas electric gets 35mpg, has room for 5 plus your stuff. Handles great in the mountains. Has 16 in. wheels stock, so you sit high to see well. It's just fun to drive! It doesn't look like a hybrid...looks sporty. It's my wife's truck, but I'm 6.2 and 260lb and comfortable driving it.

Fine Vehicle Even in Houston

CG, 10/24/2006
4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was nervous about purchasing new automotive technology but I have been completely satisfied by the reliability and performance of the Ford Escape Hybrid. As another reviewer noted, in hot humid climates like Houston where use of MAX AC is mandatory, the gas engine runs, reducing gas mileage. For the other 5 months of fall/winter/spring that we have, the SUV is blast! All year round it performs like a 6 cylinder SUV. The exterior and interior finishes are of good quality.

Brake system failure. 5-7k to repair brakes

Tim Fitzgerald, 03/03/2016
4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this 2006 ford escape hybrid with 67k miles. Thought it was a great investment for my family and the economy. The joke was on me. On my way to work one morning my dashboard lights alerted me of a brake system failure and had to roll into a snowbank to stop. I have the car towed and expect a modest repair bill of $1000 or less, we are talking about brakes. To my surprise I was quoted $5000-$7000 to repair the brake system. The bulk of the cost is in the hydraulic charging unit, quoted to me at $4500. $1000 for a new master cylinder and $1095 to bleed the brakes. We are now up to $6500 with out labor costs. With labor looking at 7-8k. How can Ford justify a repair of brakes to cost $7-8k??? Have contacted ford several times with no answers or assistance. They apologize and tell me there is nothing they can do. Ironically they changed the brake system in 2007 model, I wonder why??? Talk about Ford satisfaction. Stay away from these vehicles they have done nothing but drain my bank account. Tim Fitzgerald Swampscott Ma 01907 boomer328@comcast.net

Nice little SUV hybrid

guru32145, 05/20/2011
4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this from a used car dealer who had lowered the price to 2500 below kbb. I think he was having trouble selling this because people fear battery failure even though the battery is supposed to last for the driveable life of the vehicle. We started out having trouble getting more than about 24 mpg, but a lighter foot better use of the regenerative breaking (shifting to L when stopping and long light taps on the brake rather than quick short stops) have brought our mileage up to 29 which is about what the new EPA estimates say we should get. This will probably hold its value given rising gas prices. Good job Ford for making a superior vehicle.

12345...31