Used 2016 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (17 reviews )

Super Star Ford c-max energi
By Anthony

2016 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Handles very weel. Excellent acceleration. Ride and comfort are excellent as well as minimal noise. Comfortable front seats. Could use a bit more cargo space.

So much more than I expcted!
By Amber

2016 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went to the dealership looking at Escapes - I wanted a hatchback, "decent" gas mileage, and lots of bells and whistles. My salesman asked If I'd considered a C-Max - I was anti-hybrid prior to this but he showed me a 2015 lease turn in. First, LOTS of options! Second - Sits like a small SUV, plenty of pep, and handles beautifully with the wider tires and bigger wheels! Third - 80+ MPG is not out of the question - and between initial charge on the Energi and Hybrid backup, I see this on a pretty consistent basis. After 2400 miles of ownership, I just filled up for the 3rd time. Everyone who has ridden with me compliments the interior, quiet ride, and comfort - and then I tell them the fuel economy and they are shocked! No regrets here, I'm in love with this car!

Fun to drive
By Pat

2016 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have been very happy with the drivability and gas economy. I'm having a great time driving this car and it makes my trips to work enjoyable. I'm comfortable in the car and feel very safe.

Ford Should Promote this Car More Widely!
By AkDut

2016 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just turned in our leased Chev Volt (lloved the technology but interior was way too small) and went looking for a roomier electric and gas car. We live in Alaska so a full electric car is a too hard to manage (few charging stations). These Energi combo vehicle works great. After looking at the new Prius and testing higher end hybrids (Avalon, Malibu, etc.) we settled on the CMax Energi for two main reasons: (a) comfort - this is a great vehicle for us and has plenty of headroom (I'm 6'2" and could not physically fit into a Toyota Avalon) and (2) Price - we got a fantastic deal on the 2016 model in January 2017... oh, and the amazing feud economy is also a given... After one month driving in temps from -20F to 37F we couldn't be happier - the car has great winter features and gets better mileage than the Volt! Oh... and I finally get to sit upright again... so why doesn't Ford promote this vehicle more actively?

Great comfort, pickup compared to Prius
By Leung

2016 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is a “Plug-in Hybrid”. The “Plug-In” part is a pure electric car. It needs to be “plugged-in” to an electric power source to charge its battery. This battery is used to power an electric motor to drive the car. Electric only vehicles are typically called “EVs” and I will use EV to refer to the car in electric-only mode. Separate from the EV, C-Max Energi is a “Hybrid” car. The Hybrid is a car with a normal gasoline engine, but also uses the engine to charge a battery, which powers an electric motor to either drive the car on its own or supplements the gasoline engine to drive the car. This improves gas mileage, especially in stop-and-go city driving.

The battery for the EV part of the C-Max Energi is good for about 20 miles on a full charge and 550-mile range on a full tank/charge.

Prior to getting this car, I had rented several Toyota Prius models and drove them for months. They have many plusses: first, they have been on the market for over 10 years so all the kinks have been worked out; next, they have 50+ MPG gas mileage and even higher in stop-and-go city driving. Also, there are probably 15 variations of Prius to choose from. And Toyotas have legendary reliability. So, why did I go for the C-Max, a Ford, an American car? The two minuses compared to the Prius are it has lower gas mileage - 45 MPG in my first two tanks of gas - and the reliability is unknown – the model has been available for about five years. Consumer reports has the C-Max 5-10% below the Prius in reliability. But, I felt the pluses where many. Listing them quickly:
• It’s much quieter - insulation from road noise and a longer wheelbase and larger wheels means it rides smoother/quieter.
• Better acceleration - while the engine is 2.0L vs. the Prius 1.8L, the C-Max is heavier cancelling out the larger engine advantage. But the C-Max combines electric and gas power when you want to accelerate, so getting on the highway quickly is no problem.
• Roomier and higher - for such a small frame, its very roomy inside because it’s tall so getting in and out is easy.
• Lower cost - because it’s an EV, there are a number of government incentives (below) that lower the cost.

To sum up my view, the C-Max Energi has many plusses and only two minuses, which I can live with. And I’m buying American (paperwork with the car says it’s about 55% US, with the rest from Japan, Mexico and elsewhere)

EVs qualify for up to a US$7,500 federal government tax credit and the C-Max Energi qualifies for a $4,007. It also qualifies for $1,500 rebate from California. These incentives make the car much less expensive and pushed me to get the plug-in hybrid instead of a normal hybrid. Combined with incentives from Ford, the price was very attractive and pushed me to get a C-Max Energi vs. the Prius.

After being shown the numbers, there was no way I was not going to lease. Before I go into the numbers in the lease, let me describe the incentives (or discounts) from Ford that totaled $12,000:

⁃ $4000 tax credit for an EV. If I bought the car, I would be able to reduce my federal taxes by $4000. However, if I leased the car and Ford still owned it, Ford would take the tax credit and give me an immediate $4000 discount.

⁃ $4000 factory incentives - this was a $4000 standard discount that Ford had provided all year.

⁃ $2500 year-end incentives - combined with a few other programs, I get another $2500 off.

⁃ $1500 lease incentive - this one I don’t really understand. If I bought the car outright, I would get all of the above. If I leased the car, I would get $1500 more.

The 2016 C-Max Energy had a sticker price of $34,000. Add to it about $2,000 of taxes and fees and subtract the $12,000 in incentives, right off the bat, the car is costing me $24,000. (34,000+2,000-12,000 = $24,000). $24,000 is the amount I am financing with lease.

Then Ford took the $12,000 less the $2,000 tax and expense and used the remaining $10,000 as a down payment for the lease. So I had to put no money down. I drove off with the car, and except for paying for insurance, did not pay a dime.

I looked at the monthly payments and the residual value, (the amount I would have to pay if I decided to keep the car at the end of the term for lease) for a lease of 24 months, 36 months and 48 months. It was clear that the 36- month lease was the lowest cost.

The numbers are:
⁃ Price of the car: $24,000
⁃ Deduct the end of three years’ residual value provided by Ford: $12,500
⁃ My 36 payments, including interest: $12,000
⁃ Tax on the payments: $1,000

So, I am paying $13,000 divided by 36 monthly payments (about $360 a month) and can give the car back to Ford at the end. If I want to keep the car, I pay Ford $12,500 plus tax of about $1,000 or $13,500. I have done the math and the interest rate I am paying 4.36% per year.