Used 2006 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Bad transmissions
By Justin Schafer

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

At 42k miles my transmission fluid is black when i replaced it 3 months ago. Of course they tell me i need a new transmission and of course it's 6k out of warranty. Eventually i get a hold of someone at dodge who agree to help, yet they only decided to pay 50% of 2,800 to get a new one. 02-05 come with 7 yr 70k powertrain warranty and late 06 to now come with a lifetime powertrain of course i got an early 06 so i'm screwed with a 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper. When i turn the wheel lock to lock it squeals, fluid seems fine, mystery illness. Terrible gas mileage, center console latch stuck and couldn't get it open after awhile. The whole center console is cheaply made.Overall bad choice on my part

ipod port

Better quality interior, more bed tie downs, transmissions

Great Truck!
By alex

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Dakota since it was new, and I love it. I've also customized it so that makes it more fun to drive. Subs, 20" wheels, cold air, flowmaster, you know the whole package. I go big, LOL. I always get compliments on the looks and it drives well. Power can be added though. Even with cold air intake and flowmaster, still have issues. Nonetheless, great truck!

The size is right
By Gregg

2006 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I like the size of the Dakota. Full size trucks are too large for what I need and compact trucks are just too small. Good power from the 4.7 L V8. Knew better than to get the V6, little if any better fuel economy with no power. Back seats are OK for the little kids but should have gotten quad cab for more room. Had problems with vibrations at 50-65 mph. Dealer finally found & replaced 3 defective tires (Goodyears). Only real gripe is the extremely soft front suspension. Dips and bumps in the road make for a bouncy white knuckle ride. Very unnerving when the front end is bouncing up & down & up & down nearly bottoming out over a small dip on the highway.

Perfect size truck and V8 engine. Feels sturdy for a smaller truck. Comfortable front seats and large armrest. Grill attached to hood for better engine access.

Stiffer front suspension, feels unsafe at higher speeds. More hooks in bed of truck for tying down cargo. Better tires. Cross member is directly under oil drain which makes a mess. Better MPG would be nice, but hey, it's a truck.

Go V-8 for the power
By Brian

2006 Dodge Dakota Laramie 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Pretty good truck overall. Average 19- 20 mpg with no load and city/hwy mix. With load drops to 17-18 mpg. Has a good ride but wind noise has picked up over time. Ignition module went out at 40000 just over warranty ($400). I really enjoy the truck overall. I was at the dealer and talked about trade for kicks. The V-8 is undesirable over the V-6 even though you only gain 1-2 mpg with the V-6. The V-8 has the power to haul and get you on the road as the V-6 was a dog to me.

Sirius Radio. U-connect. Laramie features give the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Great Truck
By Steve C.

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2006 Club Cab about 19 months ago. I currently have 31,800 miles on it. Few complaints or problems. I love the large center arm rest. Very comfortable driving position. The 3.7 liter v-6 is adequate, but could use a little more power. My only complaint is that when you hit a bump, the front suspension rattles & sounds loose. Also, the blind spots are rather large which makes it difficult when pulling out of certain types of intersections. I like the styling and the interior is basic but it works well, after all it is a truck. I would recommend a Dakota to anyone who needs a truck. It's a great compromise between the smaller compact trucks & the full size gas guzzlers.

I love the large center armrest. The bed is a great size. You can haul 8 foot items with the tailgate down. Gauges are large & easy to read.