Used 2013 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (66 reviews )

Great at what it was built for
By Pablo

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased a 2013 Volt new in May, 2013, and only wish I'd have waited for a few months because the price dropped by $5,000. I have driven the vehicle for over 165,000 miles and have had only 2 issues; one of which was repaired under GM Recall, the other was covered by GM Warranty. I drive 120 miles round trip for work, so in the summer, roughly 1/2 of my commute is on battery power. The lifetime average for the car is currently at 56.7 mpg, and will increase over the summer months, as the heater uses more of the electric range during the winter. The ride is great and the only thing my spoiled kids complain about is the lack of a DVD entertainment system, and no heated rear seats. The car has driven fine in the Colorado winters I've had to deal with for the past 4 years, a lot of which is because of the tires chosen. I went away from the factory tires within a week of buying the car, because they were NOT good and I didn't feel safe while driving in rain with them, and certainly would have been worse in snow! Our Volt has been awesome and after reading about people with in excess of 200,000 miles, I have no worries about the dependability and longevity of the vehicle.

Excellent in rear view
By Alan Gilreath

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Great car. I would have been happy with 1/2 of the great success of this vehicle. It has proven to be a great car in dependability, reliability, efficiency and service. Great value overall even when the upfront cost seemed steep.

Amazing technology in a small package
By Derek C.

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The 2013 Chevy Volt is a small car with a big package! The interior is well made with many features. The drivetrain is the best in it's class (PHEV). It's the only PHEV that can use full acceleration without the gas engine coming on until the battery is used up (avg 40 miles). Battery range is less in cold weather. Driving it is still enjoyable after 5 years of ownership and 70K miles. This is the most flexible EV on the road - 30-40 miles of all-electric range with a fully capable gas backup for unlimited travel without waiting for a charge - just fill up with gas in 3 minutes like everybody else and keep on driving!

My review after 3 years of ownership
By Jason

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased my 2013 Volt Premium off lease with 14k miles. Then drove it 85% of the time in electric mode for over 3 years to 65k miles. During this time, the ONLY issue was a passenger seat airbag. This car was super reliable and from reading on GM volt forums was “over built”. Meaning GM could not afford to let this car fail. I have since sold the volt and thinking of purchasing a newer generation or Bolt. I feel confident in GM battery technology and from what I have researched these cars are designed to handle 100,000 charge cycles. At 38-40 miles per charge = 380-400k miles on these batteries.
Love the comfort of this car, could be quicker. Tight handling and smooth driving car.

The money I save on gas is more vs car payment
By Joe Bakalar

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased this vehicle back in April of 2017. It was 3 years old with 29,000 miles on it. I traded in my Chrysler 200 and applied that towards the $14,500 cost of the vehicle. I was attracted to the leather seating, the bose sound system, and most importantly the fuel economy. I am not someone who has ever been attracted to a hybrid vehicle, the irony of all of this is that I was originally interested in a truck. The car did not feel like a traditional hybrid vehicle : flimsy, light, no features, small, etc. It felt like a luxury vehicle with many options inside the car. I drive an average of 80 miles a day for my commute. I use all electric on my way to work, and then one gallon of gas on my way home. At times I may drive more depending on what location I may be working. I used to spend over $320 a month on fuel. Each time I filled my tank in my old car I would spend $80 a week, sometimes more. With the Volt I spend an average of $20 a week because I don't use anywhere as much fuel. There are other savings, too. I have no had an oil change on the car since I purchased it because the mileage I accrue is half electric / half gas. I only need an oil change when I've used 7,000 miles on the engine. I would recommend a used Chevrolet Volt to anyone because the price is half of what you would spend buying a new one, and the payment will pay for itself, and you'll still save money while driving in a very nice car. It has a statement when driving it. Only concern I have is that it does not have a spare tire, so I purchased my own spare tire and keep it in the back.