2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Our 5th Tahoe
By Amy W

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

We love these trucks! Having driven its Dodge and Ford counterparts, there is simply no comparion. In my opinion, the Tahoe handles and rides more like a car than its competitors. We love the design, the power, the utility, the comfort, and the minimal maintenance that comes with the Tahoe. This is our 5th. We have never had an issue with any of our Tahoes, and hope our good fortune continues. I cannot see ourselves without one. We're a family of two, but we've always had large dogs - and the Tahoe is a perfect fit for all of us.

SADD Chevy!
By Reaux Terry

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Been having my 2016 year and half. Nothing but problems. After 8 months car wouldn’t start had to call triple A and get jumpstart several times. Chevy said bad battery but wanted me to pay. Next automatic lift gate stop working, had repaired and stop working again. Next touchscreen stop responding to touch. Next air condition vents keep popping out in backseat area. NOW air conditioner is blowing hot air! Soo angry!! Buyer Beware!!

Nice, but choose options carefully
By Jeff K

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I had, and loved, a 2007 GMC Yukon years ago, and recently traded my 2014 Durango with loads of miles for this Tahoe. I love the exterior appearance. The front and middle seats are SUPER comfy, but the third row sits too close to the floor to accommodate anyone but kids.

I don’t mind the trade off of the truck ride for the truck capability, but wouldn’t get the 22” wheels. They help with handling, but they make the ride a little harsh. Turning radius is amazingly tight for a big vehicle, making it easy to turn around. The rear view camera and parking sensors help infrequent drivers of the Tahoe more comfortable parking it. The lane departure system is a little obnoxious, nudging the wheel to put you back in the lane.

Chevy/GM has done a nice job of improving the gas mileage over the years, but I feel like I’m filling the tank a lot due to the mileage and gas tank size. I didn’t have that issue with the Durango.

The loading height at the rear hatch is pretty high. I’m tall, so no big issue, but I notice my wife struggle with it when she borrows it.

The instrument panel and controls are well thought out, and all of the electronics are easy enough to figure out and use.

I bought this to haul people and stuff, and tow a trailer once in a while. If I didn’t need to tow the trailer, I’d consider another V6 Durango or maybe the Traverse.

Do not buy without knowing this
By Damian S

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

So we just bought one for our family of 5. Second row is huge which is great for three kids. Unfortunately we assumed all seats had head rests. WRONG. Chevy have decided in their wisdom that the middle seat passengers safety is none of their concern and saved 10 dollars and have made seats with no head rests (and it's not even an option). I have reached out to Chevy and they don't seem to care as it is not mandated by federal law. Well Toyota /Nissan/Hyundai/BMW/Honda/Acura... do care and they all have headrests for the middle sears in their SUV's. Shame on you Chevy.

An Engineers view of my Tahoe
By Chad Parks

2017 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I'll start off with two big ones...Great Power and Handling. I've got the Max Tow package which came with a slightly lower gear ratio, but with a 6 Speed transmission, it still has a nice power band through the upper gears. The Front Strut and Rear coil spring is a tried and true combination proven by GM over several years now and with the addition of the magnetically controlled medium for the shocks it ensures a quick to respond firm, but comfortable ride. Fit and Finish of interior and exterior are on par with upper end European brands...which was not the case a couple decades ago. Go stop in and look at the clearances at the body seams and paint application on any current European model and then look at the Tahoe...the fit/finish speaks for itself. Dash and User interfaces are intuitive and easy to engage with, either bare handed or with gloves on. The various electronics applications are more than sufficient in coverage and are user-friendly to learn and utilize in making your travels easier and safer. This is my first vehicle with a back-up camera and after thinking I'd rarely trust it in day-to-day real life, I've found myself checking less and less with the "over-the-shoulder" verification assuming the camera can't totally be trusted with visibility and depth perception on things I thought it wouldn't be able to display accurately. (Just for peace of mind, I still do the quick looks over the shoulder if backing in between vehicles in parking areas). Electric seats, heaters, release controls, rear A/C, etc. all work well and placement of their controls is intuitive for the drivers and passengers. It has a drop-down DVD player that I know will never get used, but came as an option with the vehicle package ordered. I'd been a Grand Cherokee owner of a few models over the last 24 years, but the current Jeep lineup just couldn't match what the Tahoe had for attributes and its evolving pedigree. I'm an engineer with Pratt & Whitney and I've not typically been impressed with the layout of engine bays on any SUV's, but it appears obvious GM put some well-thought-out plans to the future accessibility regarding maintenance aspects of the Engine/Transmission/Drivetrain...everything is easily accessible and brackets/hoses/cables/etc. were all designed with long term viability with a mindful stance on areas where chafing could occur and extra clearances or anti-chafing materials applied. I put the Tahoe up on my garage lift (yes I did mention I'm an engineer and I inspect everything) shortly after purchasing and noticed the design/engineering of the undercarriage was well thought out as well. Strategically placed body and transmission mounts/component brackets/brake and fuel lines/control modules were all laid out with an eye on placement for accessibility and serious engineering utilized in the design for long term durability with thicker gauge steel on most everything(where it used to be thinner gauge metal and/or plastic). A great amount of thought was put toward corrosion control as well...when I was going over every inch of the underbody/frame with a high-power light, I couldn't find one area where there wasn't at least some form of long term engineered corrosion control used in maintaining the long term viability of a specific component/bracket/etc. I even noticed a full-sized spare wheel/tire tucked up nicely behind the rear axle with plenty of clearance around it as well...it even had a tumbler type lock securing the spare release cable. The Jack/Tire tools were stowed securely behind a quick release panel on the back left side of the cargo area. You'll need to keep your owners manual handy in the glove compartment, as it will explain(with pictures) exactly where everything is kept for getting your spare down and a potential flat changed. You'll have some fun exploring the finer touches on this vehicle, which I don't have time to cover in a short review, but rest assured this one is designed and built for long term viability and enjoyment for the owner. I also have some peace of mind on the aspect it is an American vehicle, and from what I've seen in examining the various attributes inside and out....I'd say GM has a winner with its Tahoe.