Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Plastic parts in the engine always suck
By LD

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Not getting enough oil to engine...bad oil pump design...after 130000 miles! It will cost you 3000 in repairs.

5.3 liter AFM complete FAILURE....
By Mark Banta

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned approximately 10 Chevy trucks (8 trucks, 1 Suburban, 1 Tahoe) for 25 years and have put 200,000 miles on several of them. I currently have a 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 liter with Active Fuel Management. That engine is CRAP. I love the truck but the engine went sour at about 150,000 miles. First a Lifter failed in cylinder 6. Spent almost $2000 on repairs. Now cylinder 6 has 40 psi pressure and the dealership says the whole engine has to be replaced. Never again, GM.... Never again.

The great American truck
By raymond smith

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The truck does all things well , when highway traveling you can get up 20.5 mpg @ 65/ 70 mph which is very good for its size v8 with 315 hp,however because of its length and long wheel base it takes more effort to park , I usually park in so I can drive out. All things considered it is very comfortable even with its Z 71 package

Great truck
By John Anderson

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought New. Replaced door locks after 5 yrs. Wrecked in early 2017 and wish I had it back.

Nice, but.......
By Jeff Boyd

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought new a 2008 LT with Z71 package. It now has 116,000 miles on it. I would like to say trouble free, but that has not been the case. I change the oil myself every 10,000 miles and use Royal Purple and a top of the line filter. I have never had to add oil between changes, so that part is all good. Now for the bad. (A) the fuel line ruptured spraying gas all over, including in proximity of the catalytic converter, forunately now fire resulted. Even though it was off of warrenty the dealer fixed it for free as it was a safety issue. (2) at around 90,000 miles I noticed that the cover on the left CV joint was torn, and grease was everywhere. I had to have that repaired and in the process a new wheel bearing was installed. (B) at 116,000 miles the right wheel bearing failed. I have never had a wheel bearing failure in any of the vehicles I have owned, and I dont understand this. I don't work the truck hard, it is not used in harsh environments. Other than these issues I like the truck, in fact, there is nothing I don't like about it, but this causing me to consider another make other than GM for my next truck.