Used 2008 Buick Lucerne Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Buick Lucerne Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lucerne model:

good car
By Harold St. Clair

2008 Buick Lucerne CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

wish for better gas milage

Nice Ride
By Tom Goodman

2008 Buick Lucerne CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Really liked this car. It was conformable, quite, very low maintenance, good gas millage and handled very well

Didn't I really rather have a Buick
By Robert

2008 Buick Lucerne CXS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Looked at a lot of cars before settling on this one which I bought used. Have driven Lincolns (Mark series), Taurus, Mercedes, and a Caddy. Must say that this is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. With the Northstar V8, it is very quick to accelerate - I had to get used to the electronic gas pedal as it is instantaneous, but the power and smoothness make it fast off the line and it easily and extremely quickly accelerates to highway speed. I took it for a test drive before I bought it and when I "floored" it on the highway, I was truly impressed. It's got more power than I will ever really need. I've gotten 17.5 MPG around town and 25.9 on the highway for a combined total of 20.6. Not great, but not bad for a full size, powerful luxury car. The interior is soft, roomy, and has easy to understand controls. Trunk space is great, and my front bucket seats are extremely comfortable for any length trip. While the turning radius is very large, because I have driven many large cars and trucks/suvs over the years, it's something that didn't take long to get used to. Fit and finish are incredible, and the Harmon Kardon stereo system is top notch. The quietness of the interior is amazing and the engine is very smooth and "purrs" softly - even under heavy acceleration. Heated seats, heated washer fluid and heated steering wheel are great extras, especially in the northeast where I live. I love the lines of the car and it really does look sporty. I had always thought that the Buicks were for the old folks - luxurious but lumbering cruise mobiles for the geriatric set. Boy was I wrong. Not that this car would appeal much to anyone under 35 in my opinion, but it has a sporty style and a lot of power with all the bells and whistles. Could not be happier with the purchase. Next car I'll definitely look at the top end Buicks again. Best features - cooled seats, heated wiper fluid, ride, sound system, styling. Worst features - turning radius, a few blind spots (but the blind spot assist is a very good aid)

Unstable Buick
By Frank n Tina Husted

2008 Buick Lucerne CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had a Buick Lasabre before this Lucerne . Our Lasabre was a super great car with excellent performance and fuel mileage and reliability . The Lucerne is a 2008 and we have had this car for three years now . While we have had this car the water pump has been replaced and we have had numerous issues with the engine light coming on . The first few times were due to squirrels chewing the spark plug wires on the backside of the engine . After the third time of replacing them I covered them with wire loom and wrapped them with black tape . Then the squirrels chewed a couple other wires on the intake air temperature sensor . I soldered these wires and used heat shrink tubing over them . While I cannot blame the car or manufacture for these issues this was just the beginning of the issues . The engine light keeps coming on for numerous times for electrical issues . It came on due to emissions , traction control , abs and more emissions issues . All of these issues seem to be problems with poor connections at the wire plugs . After the connectors are taken apart and very slightly crimped back together , the issues with those particular sensors go away and a new one comes up . I have been chasing these issues all summer long . The only replacement parts I have put on this car is the water pump , which is a part of normal maintenance . I love this car even mainly for the bucket seats in the front . It doesn't ride or handle as good as the Lesabre did . And it certainly isn't as reliable as the Lesabre . We put on well over 100,000 miles on the Lasabre and had NO issues with it whatsoever . I'm sure this Lucerne is one of Buicks few that is full of electrical issues but I still love this car . The fuel economy is not as good as the Lasabre even though both cars had the famous 3.8 engine . One day I will get all the electrical connections taken care of . It is a little inconvenient to take care of these electrical connections , but it is something I can take care of and it doesn't cost anything but the time to do it . This puts a sour note out there for Buick , but I have had other Buicks with no issues at all .

always a buick
By Mary l zimmerman

2008 Buick Lucerne CX 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)