2018 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Audi S4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S4 model:

Fast Fun!
By GMO24

2018 Audi S4 Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had many VAG autos over the years including a APR stage 3 VW CC R-Line and more recently a 2016 Golf R with an APR stage 2 setup prior to my purchase of the 2018 Audi S4. That’s said, the S4 is very refined and fast for a stock vehicle compared to some of my previous experiences. The car is an absolute joy to drive. The handling is very good at high speed and the car is completely composed, especially in dynamic mode. My only grip is that I wish they would have given it the DSG transmission in the S6. The ZF 8 is good and quick but still not as fast or intuitive as the DSG. That aside, the car is fantastic. The carbon fiber trim is sporty and aggressive looking without being overbearing. The cabin materials are high quality and the Fine Nappa leather is a must in my opinion. The Bang & Oulefson stereo is amazing. As good if not better than Bose. All in all I’m very happy with the car. Lastly buy the service/maintenance package as the servive dept charges insane prices for simple 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K service intervals. TRUST ME! I found out the hard way with my wife’s Audi Q7.

larger sport sedan
By DR J

2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

this car is closer in size to e class Mercedes and 5 series bmw.shop against these cars and not c class mb and 3 series bmw.much better then e class and 5 series for far less money.

A joy to drive!
By Robert

2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

As advised by Edmunds, going with Premium Plus and adding Technology package and S Sport Package seemed to be the best value. Coming from 21 years of driving BMWs, I was doing a lot of research on why change. But with technology platforms changing so fast, I wanted to keep an open mind. It was a surprise that Audi S4 came out on top for me after two test drives and a lot of research. Interior, Exterior, performance, and driving comfort. Now, after 4 months of daily driving plus several long roadtrips, I'm sure it was the right choice.

Amazing
By K Rein

2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased the S4 a couple months ago after researching many other similar vehicles, to include BMW and MB. I came from a 2011 Infinite G37X and while I loved that car, you really cannot compare the two. The Audi is simply the best vehicle I have ever driven. My S4 has the Napa leather package and the S Sport package which I highly recommend. This car handles amazing, it actually feels like there is someone sitting behind me steering my rear wheels while taking turns or curves at a higher speed. The six piston brakes are awesome also. Anyone who nit picks the steering, suspension, brakes, transmission or anything else on this car is being ridiculous. This car is solid all the way around and this review is coming from your everyday guy. There is nothing I don't love about this car, I look forward to getting into it everyday. Lastly for you audio enthusiasts, the Bang & Olufsen stereo is also amazing. The louder you play it the better it gets. I hope this review helps you when you are trying to make your decision.

2018 vs 2010 Audi S4 Prestige
By Twowheelsgood

2018 Audi S4 Prestige quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

After much cross shopping, including the Mercedes C43 AMG, I ended up replacing my 2010 Audi S4 Prestige (7A) with a relatively loaded 2018 S4 (S- Sport and winter packages, 19" wheels, Dynamic Steering). I've only had it for one week so this just my first impression, which is mixed. What's better in the 2018 S4: suspension (more compliant with no loss of grip); brakes (less grabby with no loss of stopping power); steering (still lacks feel but quicker and more accurate, particularly off center); front seat adjustability; instrument panel; parking & driver aids; headlights; fuel economy. What's better on the 2010 S4: exterior styling (except the lights); throttle response; transmission (DCT); difference in driving experience in different mode settings (comfort, auto, dynamic). It looks like the 2018 wins by a knockout but it doesn't. The new car is really let down by a tendency to bog on initial throttle application. It feels like some combination of poor transmission tuning, a very soft throttle tip-in setup, and some degree of turbo lag. It can be a party pooper and the car doesn't come alive in Dynamic mode they way the old one did. We'll see if the 2018 S4 grows in on over time. I've already discovered that using the paddle shifters helps with throttle response. I've already shifted this car "manually" in one week more than I did in the old S4 over seven years. The ZF 8-speed in the new S4 responds pretty quickly to the paddles but doesn't cope well with stacked downshift requests. I read that the terrific new 10-speed auto in high performance Chevies drops multiple gears in an instant. More to follow once my new S4 passs the 1,000 mile break in period.

Edmunds asked for an update, so here it is at 5,000 miles (February 2018). I have warmed up to this car considerably. The performance is sneaky in that very potent acceleration, cornering and braking occur with so little fuss that it's easy to caught out going much faster than appreciated. It reminds me of riding my BMW S1000RR in that regard. What is really impressive is how well a car with this performance deals with slogging on the daily commute. When surrounded by other cars that limit enjoyment, I put the car in Auto or Comfort mode, set the dynamic cruise control (on secondary roads as well as highways) and let the car deal with it while I listen to the excellent B&O sound system. When conditions and traffic permit, I switch to the Dynamic mode with or without manual shifting and go for it. The steering and handling are excellent and with the sport diff the car actually wants to rotate, which is a rarity in front-engine Audis. The issue of delayed downshifts and throttle response persist but these are largely eliminated when Dynamic and Manual are selected. I think my original disappointment with Dynamic mode was because I followed the recommendations for light throttle inputs during break-in. There is now a distinct difference between modes, Dynamic is very crisp but happily does not cause the ride to become too brittle or edgy. The only other irksome problem I've had so far is a weak HomeLink transmitter. I have to carry the remote in the car because the built-in unit often fails to open or close the garage door. I believe this is because they relocated the transmitter from under the front fascia in the B8 to somewhere in the back end of the car in the B9 version. Indeed, if the HomeLink doesn't get a response when I approach nose-in, I can turn the car around and present the back end to the garage and it will work. But that's tiresome so I keep the remote in the car. Seems a dumb fault in $65K luxury sedan. I had no such problem with by B8 S4 or with my '14 Audi Q5 TDI. So as you can see, I have warmed up considerably to this car and would strongly recommend it to any enthusiast who wants a 4-season sport sedan that copes equally well with felonious speeds and daily driving. Every time I get in the car I look forward to driving it and the interior, including the virtual cockpit. I have also been saved a few times now by Audi Pre-Sense, Lane Assist and Cross Traffic Assist, so the technology is excellent. At 5,000 miles there have been no mechanical issues with the car and it will easily get 24-25 mpg measured at the pump unless relentlessly flogged in which case it will be in the teens.

One last point - when I bought the car I was told by an Audi service manager that the 18" Audi OEM wheels I used for winter in my B8 S4 would fit the B9. Wrong! These wheels didn't clear the calipers of the new car so I had to buy aftermarket 18s to which I fitted Nokian Hakkas. Not the sportiest winter tire but absolutely the best in terms of stopping and going in snow.