Used 2001 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Biggest Mistake I Ever Made When Buying A Car
By steadybeat

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought when I bought a Volvo I was getting a quality vehicle. While it does have the most comfortable seats , a decent enough stereo system, and other interior features that are very appealing it has become a glorified enclosed couch sitting in my driveway. How I wish I had read the reviews here before purchasing because I would have changed my mind. I went with it because of the reputation of the company that I knew of in the mid-80's. It lasted a total of 6 days from purchase from a private seller. I noticed that the heater wasn't putting out and checked fluid levels and topped off the radiator. It came home on a rollback: overheated+blown head gasket. Never,ever, again. What a waste!!!

01 V70 T5 Geartronic/ Auto
By cub740

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my V70 T5 Automatic 2 years ago not knowing the bad rep the car has. No wonder the price is pretty low. In 2 years, i put in 50K miles with total support from Volvo specialist for a routine maintenance and to tackle to 'usual' problem. It has been maintained with full synthetic at the specialist (NOT JIFFY LUBE) who knows this car in and out. Car has been served me well but it does cost a lot to maintain this car. But when you compare this wagon to a BMW / AUDI/ Mercedes wagon, then volvo still cheaper than those germans. Don't compare these cars with your HONDA or TOYOTA. Compare Euro to Euro not to the Japs. Your idea of cheap maintenance, get a honda/toyota. Problems below*

Totally love the seat, functionality , total luxury without being flashy as BMW/ Benz. Great MPG as I get Max 32 MPG on total interstate driving. Combined City/Highway 24MPG. Dynamic stability traction control is great on ice/ snow and emergency maneuver. Fold down seat to a cavernous space.

*problems/Maintenance (at Volvo specialist) : on my 2 yrs of ownership, Driver door module (parts/labor $600) / Engine mounts top,bottom (common probs / parts/labor) $400, Required Transmission service every 20K miles to prolong the transmission life $100/ service. Oxigen sensor/ emission issues roughly $300 for some various parts. Key point : Take good care of the car, it ll take care of you. Don't just take it to a lube job, take it to a specialist who knows the car in/out. Auto trans, be gentle, let the trans engage then accelarate. Let turbo engine spool down after a long drive before turn off the car. I love my V70 T5 so will you.

What a disappointment
By makanani2

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm thinking the only reason why this car comes up with 4-stars is for the comfort and interior and exterior design, which are excellent. Tell any Volvo mechanic that you own a 2001 Volvo V70 XC and after they stop laughing hysterically, they'll weep for you. The transmission is going to fail, if it hasn't already. Mine had an oil leak so bad, we named the car "The Valdez". Three weeks after being told that it would cost more to replace the transmission and fix the oil leaks than the car was worth, it blew up on a mountain pass. If you want a Volvo, find an older 740 (non -turbo).

Most comfortable seats ever!

Junk After 120K miles
By jmg1977

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a Volvo, right? It is actually my 4th. And my last. Too bad for what used to be a great Swedish product, but not anymore! Nice styling, great handling on the interstate and sips gas. All ok until about 120K miles. Then literally every electronic and fuel injection component, even the seatbelts started to malfunction. Thousands of dollars. Not the typical older car reliability failures and certainly Bosch doesn't make anything reasonably priced for replacement parts. My next car will be American or Japanese. Not as unreliable or expensive to fix.

Styling, fuel economy, road manners

Return to quality manufacturing of core systems so there is not a huge cost of ownership and frustration once the car is middle aged.

worst car ever !!!
By Los Cabos

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Replace transmission 2 times going to third. It's worst car ever !! Avoid Volvo brand!

• SUV