2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Often Love This Car
By Margaret Treat on 01/29/10 08:31 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Have owned this since new. I enjoy the comfort of the ride and the saftey features. The car has never broken down on me. I travel cross country alone and even camp in it. It's solid. I have had to replace the top motor mount, mass air flow, lots of headlight and tail light bulbs, the electronic throttle and the temp sensor for the heater. But the car has 150,000 miles on it. The motor doesn't use a drop of oil. I have used Mobile 1 in it since break in. The car is amazing on icy and snow packed roads. I often say I love the car and have kept it longer than my cars in the past. But repairs are expensive and I hate the dealership. With no other dealership close, I would not buy another one.

8th volvo and last volvo, sadly.
By gav on 01/10/10 18:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The cup holders are handy whilst waiting for the tow truck! Gearbox has new surprises every time you drive it. ETM is an affront to our collective dignity, electrics are poor, fuel system must have been designed at Lada by the accounts lady after a bit night on the Stolle! Maintenance costs are quite severe and plentiful. After 7 previous volvos all with outstanding reliability, function and longevity it saddens me that a company could transmogrify into producing such a failure of a vehicle. When not being repaired or diagnosed, it's fast and safe with ample room and functionality, but it now drains my wallet, energy and faith in what i considered to be the best manufactured vehicles ever.

I love this car!
By Annie on 12/30/09 17:26 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Presently at 93,000 miles. Yes I have had the odd quirky issue, but the only major item was a radiator replacement. Transmission has been fine and 'baby' runs quite well. I use my wagon to transport mulch, stone, plants in the summer and she's always been a jewel. I love this wagon and plan on keeping for a very very long time.

good car
By john on 12/22/09 05:08 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought used in Sept 2008 with 27000 miles, now is 37000. I change the oil and maintain myself. Fairly easy to work on, best to have code reader, but have not needed yet. Light bulbs here and there needing replacement, pretty easy to do. Japanese Aisen Warner transmission requires special mobil synthetic oil and dipstick should be checked regularly, it is in an awkward location, way low on drivers side. Only use Full synthetic oils, including brake fluid. If you do I would expect 200000 miles of good value, as our 25 year old volvo 240s. We love this car. Have not added any as trans. fluid is pink. Very good highway car.

'01 V70 T5 - Thumbs Up!
By Rick on 12/02/09 11:27 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

New to the Volvo world but my brother has owned three, including his current '02 V70. Just brought home our '01 T5 last month; it's a well-maintained 2-owner w. 95k mi. I've owned various BMWs, Jaguars, VWs, etc. & this Volvo compares very well. From the interior & exterior design to the performance & fun of driving, the car has an overall feel of real quality & thoughtful engineering. As preventative maintenance, I changed the timing belt (incl. tensioner & pulley) & water pump after the purchase; also put in a new cabin air filter. The '01 V70 sometimes gets a bad rap, but I suspect that's at least as much owner issues as the car itself. Thumbs up on a great car, especially the T5.

2001 Volvo Transmission Problem
By ararat on 11/28/09 08:57 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had 3 2001 xc 70's, now I'm down to 1 and I have a 2001 V70 T5. They all have had the same problem- TRANSMISSION....I think somebody should start a lawsuit against Volvo because anyone who has a 2001 Volvo has a transmission problem. I've tried everything to fix the problem...nothing works. The only thing that would help is buying a whole new transmission.

good safe car
By blackie on 11/25/09 05:06 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We have owned Volvo 240s since 1991 when I decided Honda Civics were not safe enough. My reasoning came from the junk yard. I would look at the cars there and ask did the occupants become seriously injured or possibly killed? When I looked at Volvo's, the answer was no. Along comes 2008, we decide to modernize, we buy a new Nissan Versa sedan, side airbags, front airbags, the works. My wife was rear ended while she was 15mph, the other driver 50mph, both the other drivers Nissan Sentra and my wifes's car totaled by the insurance companies. both parties injured moderately. Versa did ok but if she had been in the V70 I believe she would have been injured little, if at all. Volvo for life!

My First and Last Volvo
By volvo_disappointment on 10/31/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

When I was looking for a car, I had four criteria: safety, reliability, longevity, and environmental impact. Volvo rated well in all categories. This car has been nothing but a disappointment and money pit. Just a short list of previous problems: throttle module, fan, fuel system. Now, the heating is out and the transmission needs to be replaced, to the tune of $5K. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. The car was great to drive for the first two years, and then it seemed to fall apart in spite of being well cared for. I resent Volvo. (Thanks, Ford.) By contrast, my 2002 VW has more miles on it and has required no repairs, just maintenance. It's VW for me from now on.

Going Strong at 160K
By drh on 10/08/09 15:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Now at 160K with no problems. New tires and preventive care is all this volvo has asked for 8 years. Very fun and comfortable ride with the 2.4turbo and luxury cabin. Besides family of five chores and vacations, we take this volvo antiquing and regularly treat it like a truck. On the highway we get 28-30mpg on regular grade fuel.

XC is a big improvement over SUV
By ericj on 09/21/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

After 2 small SUV's I bought the XC. With the interior capacity, roof rack with cross rails and roof storage container, I can carry more than when I had an SUV. The ride is much smoother and the power of the turbo helps getting on the highway. I get about 18mpg around town and 28mpg on the highway. I have kept up with maintenance and only had a problem with a leaky angle drive. I have to drive farther for work, so I am putting more highway mileage on it. Very comfortable to drive long distance.