Used 2001 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Volvo dropped the ball on the V70 series
By gedafe

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My family and I have driven Volvos for most of our lives, from the old 240's up to today's V70's. I have to say that (arguably) though looks have improved, quality control has not. Sure my V70 looks top notch, but I've had multiple issues with the car from the brakes to the ETM to the suspension. All of these problems are not cheap to fix, ranging from $700-1200 a visit. It seems that Volvo dropped the ball on their 2001 line of V70's, and they're not considering any recalls. You'll find many owners having the same problems: ETM gives out while driving at highway speeds, the clunk felt when starting up from a stopped position, the brake rotors needing replacement every 20K miles, etc.

The body is a smooth compilation of the rugged "tank-style" of the original 240's and the new "modern" curvature of the 2000 era cars: sweet design that shows power and grace. The interior, though sparse, has all the amenities in right places: cup holders, lights, finger-tip controls in wheel.

Someone offer a recall on these. Have the ETM reworked, find someone to produce rotors that can stand the heat of stop and go traffic on a front-heavy car, develop a better suspension mounting on the front end. I've not been impressed with the workmanship of the new Volvos.

Safe but not reliable
By sinew23

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I wanted a Volvo because of its safety. I picked the XC70 because it had all wheel drive. Since we've had this car, it's had nothing but problems. First, we had to replace all the bushings for the suspension system which cost me $1800. Next the EMT failed which cost another $1200. Now, they're telling me the torque mount, inner tie rod and rear lumbar rod needs replacing and it's going to cost me another $1500.

The dual climate control, sound system, turbo engine and all wheel drive.

The general reliablity of the model.

No more trucks for this texan
By no truck texan

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this volvo reluctantly because of worries about reliability; however, this wagon has FAR exceeded my expectations. It is quick, capable in any road condition and gets much better milage than my former suburban and sequoia. I have had NO issues with this car in over a year with the exception of burnt out headlights which I had read about- my dealer replaces them for free, so I don't mind! I will most definatley buy another one when this one wears out!!

The way it drives (its quick), the wet/winter weather driving feature, and of course built in booster seats!

Headlights burn out too often and are hard to install- the head mechanic at the volvo dealer has to put in the tail lights.

2001 v70xc
By vb

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car reminds me of the old english sports cars... a dream to drive WHEN they're working. I've had reliablity issues with this car since day one. Interior and exterior parts are flimsy and break. Front end built too light for American roads. Poor support by dealer. I don't think they know how to fix it, they just replace parts till the problem goes away. I would say.. STAY AWAY from this car.

No car ever handled better in the snow, and I include in that a bronco, an expedition.

Quality

Love this Car!
By Sarah D

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first experience not only with Volvo, but also a wagon. It has more than met my expectations in a car. I feel very safe putting my 2 chilren in it everyday. Comfortable and roomy throughout, but durable and sturdy. I don't think I will ever drive any thing other than a Volvo. I have driven the sedans also, and enjoyed those as well.

All of them!