Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

So many problems
By Chris Wade

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car looks amazing and is a very safe family car. The interior is beautiful and well set up. I did find that some plastic parts broke pretty easily though. I bought this car when it was about six years old. I put very few miles on it but spent a lot of money on repairs. Such a sad car to own especially after years of having great Volvos (1965 122s, 1978 240 wagon) The throttle body is a huge issue that costs about $2500 and caused it to intermittently stall. The heater core leaked due to being a mix of aluminum and plastic. $900 Front suspension was weak, had to replace both A arms The worst flaw was the transmission. Went out just over 100K and was almost $7000 to repair. At the cost of this I opted to send it to the scrap yard. Car looked great but the repair was more than it was worth. 2001 was known for transmission trouble, this was a lemon year.

Transmission Totally Messed Up
By Maria

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a few years ago used, and no less than 10 hours of driving time later the transmission started to get jerky. The car has limped along, with us babying it, but the transmission always gets jerky after 15 minutes of city driving or on hot days. It's been a constant source of stress for us. If you get this year, just get a manual and save yourself the trouble! Glad to finally be getting rid of it-- hopefully our next choice will be a wiser one.

2001 volvov70 cc. Too many problems
By Unhappy Volvo

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Electrical problems. Sunroof opens won't close. Throttle body went out. Pcv system is bad. Bought at 135k miles car has 146k has depreciated by 60% and the problems continue. Stay away from these cars. B

Best Car I'll ever own
By Bruce McNally

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I paid more for my 2001 V70 2.3 (manual trannie(but with just about every extra available) than I ever had for anything - 20K with 37K miles. It just turned 240,000 and has gotten me from NYC to Merida, L.A., Portland, New Orleans (yearly), Florida you name it - snow, ice, rain & wind, in great comfort, style and if I could figure out how to keep this car for the rest of my life I'd do it. It ain't cheap but you've gotta find great (not dealer) mechanics and sometimes buy your own parts online. I do understand the auto trannie in these first years sucked and have friends with those problems, but otherwise *****

Heated seats & seats themselves, sound system, handling, mileage (30 highway), overall reliability, exterior design (mine's Moondust then had a black leather interior installed), CARGO CAPACITY, room for me and 3 dogs to sleep, power (that's the 5-speed)

Rear legroom, road clearance (I had to finally have mine jacked up - what with NYC and NO road conditions - went through 3 radiators)

Uneven Likeability
By sbe79

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have V70 T5 model. It has 147K on it. I have to say that I really, really like the car. I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it. It drives, mostly, great. I like the way it handles. It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car. The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s. However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot. One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning. The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely). Mechanic can't find the issue.

Good handling. Good overall layout. Great amount of space in a nice-looking car that aesthetically holds up after 12 years. Fun to drive. It fits me, my wife, our 2 teenage boys and a carseat for our toddler nicely.

The transmissions in these are crap. Electrically, it's a bit iffy. The door panel is one thing. The car does this weird thing also when it's off and sitting in the driveway -- the fan will turn on and air will blow out the inside vents. For no apparent reason. It also makes a noise inside the dashboard when you first open the driver's door. Kind of sounds like a CD changer switching CDs, except my CD changer is in the trunk not the dash. It makes the noise and then winds down like it has a dying battery inside until it just stops. I suppose a lot of the other stuff is basic wear and tear, I just wish the electrical aspect wasn't so wonky. It would be pricey to fix it all.

• SUV