2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Uneven Likeability
By sbe79 on 08/06/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have V70 T5 model. It has 147K on it. I have to say that I really, really like the car. I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it. It drives, mostly, great. I like the way it handles. It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car. The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s. However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot. One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning. The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely). Mechanic can't find the issue.

Fun to drive and super versatile
By jbberge on 07/11/13 12:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have driven this car in snow, rain, ice, and the deserts of AZ and nothing has slowed it down. I even drove it up a running river (not very deep) on a camping trip once. It holds my mtn bike if I fold the seats down, and I've slept in it a few times too. Yeah, it's a bit expensive to service and I think it's a little funny looking but I couldn't be much happier with a wagon! Just be sure to stay up on your maintenance because it's way cheaper than repairing something once it breaks.

Buy this car if you like throwing money in the trash
By heather50 on 09/20/12 11:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Everything has systematically broken down, cracked, snapped off or ripped on this car. My mechanic even shakes his head at the ridiculously poor quality of this vehicle. I spent well over 10,000 on mechanical repairs in the last 6 years, always thinking that each trip to the mechanic would be the last.....Ha! In addition to that expense- the following have happened: glove compartment hinge broken, electrical door locks and windows don't always work, panel by drive shaft cracked, side view mirror adjuster broken off, most speakers are not working, locking system on back hatch doesn't always close, vent panel for defrost fell off, and more burnt out head and tail lights than imaginable.

AS EXPECTED AND BETTER!
By mrsimpson on 07/29/12 14:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

First, after much review perhaps the XC models have far more problems than the 2.4T V70. I am at 124,000 and this car is the most comfortable, reliable and all around best car to drive. I also own a 2008 Audi A4, and although the Audi is the prize, I lean more toward driving the Volvo ALL THE TIME! The only issue I had was the radiator modulator going bad, which ran me about 575 dollars and only because my friend is a mechanic! Volvo would have easily been a 1000 plus job! But you know the parts are pricey, find a trusting local guy or do the regular maintenence yourself, it pays! That said I commute just shy of 90 miles a day and this car runs so smooth it is a pure joy. Also good on gas!

Do people even know how to maintain a vehicle anymore, love my volvo
By derove on 06/26/12 21:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

so i bought my volvo new in 2001 and i am currently at 400,000 miles, what did i do, i changed the oil every 4k miles, changed the timing belt every 105k miles, i did have to fix the gas gauge cause the bobber in the fuel tank was stuck, and let me think what else oh i needed to put a new cd player in it bought it a stock one from ebay for 50 bucks, people are just stupid you cant just drive a car and expect it to last without normal matanice, you guys complain ill be back when mine reaches a million miles and thats my word.

Drives like a car, totes like a UTE
By polyas1st on 06/11/12 18:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Volvo's are, like most European cars for people who like to drive. Despite being needlessly burdened with a 4wd system, riding 3" too high , and having 300lbs of extra weight, this car actually handles competently. I do my own work on the car so repair costs aren't really an issue but if you had to have it worked on it would be pretty expensive to maintain properly. It is certainly more expensive to run than a Kia Sorento which is because it is not a Kia Sorento. I like the fact that everything is heavy duty, even the leather on the seats is surprisingly thick.

Biggest Mistake I Ever Made When Buying A Car
By steadybeat on 04/05/12 09:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I thought when I bought a Volvo I was getting a quality vehicle. While it does have the most comfortable seats , a decent enough stereo system, and other interior features that are very appealing it has become a glorified enclosed couch sitting in my driveway. How I wish I had read the reviews here before purchasing because I would have changed my mind. I went with it because of the reputation of the company that I knew of in the mid-80's. It lasted a total of 6 days from purchase from a private seller. I noticed that the heater wasn't putting out and checked fluid levels and topped off the radiator. It came home on a rollback: overheated+blown head gasket. Never,ever, again. What a waste!!!

01 V70 T5 Geartronic/ Auto
By cub740 on 03/31/12 05:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my V70 T5 Automatic 2 years ago not knowing the bad rep the car has. No wonder the price is pretty low. In 2 years, i put in 50K miles with total support from Volvo specialist for a routine maintenance and to tackle to 'usual' problem. It has been maintained with full synthetic at the specialist (NOT JIFFY LUBE) who knows this car in and out. Car has been served me well but it does cost a lot to maintain this car. But when you compare this wagon to a BMW / AUDI/ Mercedes wagon, then volvo still cheaper than those germans. Don't compare these cars with your HONDA or TOYOTA. Compare Euro to Euro not to the Japs. Your idea of cheap maintenance, get a honda/toyota. Problems below*

What a disappointment
By makanani2 on 07/24/11 20:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm thinking the only reason why this car comes up with 4-stars is for the comfort and interior and exterior design, which are excellent. Tell any Volvo mechanic that you own a 2001 Volvo V70 XC and after they stop laughing hysterically, they'll weep for you. The transmission is going to fail, if it hasn't already. Mine had an oil leak so bad, we named the car "The Valdez". Three weeks after being told that it would cost more to replace the transmission and fix the oil leaks than the car was worth, it blew up on a mountain pass. If you want a Volvo, find an older 740 (non -turbo).

Junk After 120K miles
By jmg1977 on 06/26/11 18:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a Volvo, right? It is actually my 4th. And my last. Too bad for what used to be a great Swedish product, but not anymore! Nice styling, great handling on the interstate and sips gas. All ok until about 120K miles. Then literally every electronic and fuel injection component, even the seatbelts started to malfunction. Thousands of dollars. Not the typical older car reliability failures and certainly Bosch doesn't make anything reasonably priced for replacement parts. My next car will be American or Japanese. Not as unreliable or expensive to fix.