Used 2001 Volvo V70 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Best Car I'll ever own
By Bruce McNally

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I paid more for my 2001 V70 2.3 (manual trannie(but with just about every extra available) than I ever had for anything - 20K with 37K miles. It just turned 240,000 and has gotten me from NYC to Merida, L.A., Portland, New Orleans (yearly), Florida you name it - snow, ice, rain & wind, in great comfort, style and if I could figure out how to keep this car for the rest of my life I'd do it. It ain't cheap but you've gotta find great (not dealer) mechanics and sometimes buy your own parts online. I do understand the auto trannie in these first years sucked and have friends with those problems, but otherwise *****

Heated seats & seats themselves, sound system, handling, mileage (30 highway), overall reliability, exterior design (mine's Moondust then had a black leather interior installed), CARGO CAPACITY, room for me and 3 dogs to sleep, power (that's the 5-speed)

Rear legroom, road clearance (I had to finally have mine jacked up - what with NYC and NO road conditions - went through 3 radiators)

Uneven Likeability
By sbe79

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have V70 T5 model. It has 147K on it. I have to say that I really, really like the car. I just don't enjoy the difficulties that come along with it. It drives, mostly, great. I like the way it handles. It may be a station wagon, but it's still an interesting car. The leather interior is miles better than Volvo was using in the 90s. However, the transmission had to be rebuilt before I even got it off the used dealership lot. One year later, it struggles to go from 1st to 2nd gear in the morning. The driver's side control panel on the door works infrequently (so most of the time, my window won't go down and I can't lock the doors remotely). Mechanic can't find the issue.

Good handling. Good overall layout. Great amount of space in a nice-looking car that aesthetically holds up after 12 years. Fun to drive. It fits me, my wife, our 2 teenage boys and a carseat for our toddler nicely.

The transmissions in these are crap. Electrically, it's a bit iffy. The door panel is one thing. The car does this weird thing also when it's off and sitting in the driveway -- the fan will turn on and air will blow out the inside vents. For no apparent reason. It also makes a noise inside the dashboard when you first open the driver's door. Kind of sounds like a CD changer switching CDs, except my CD changer is in the trunk not the dash. It makes the noise and then winds down like it has a dying battery inside until it just stops. I suppose a lot of the other stuff is basic wear and tear, I just wish the electrical aspect wasn't so wonky. It would be pricey to fix it all.

Fun to drive and super versatile
By jbberge

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have driven this car in snow, rain, ice, and the deserts of AZ and nothing has slowed it down. I even drove it up a running river (not very deep) on a camping trip once. It holds my mtn bike if I fold the seats down, and I've slept in it a few times too. Yeah, it's a bit expensive to service and I think it's a little funny looking but I couldn't be much happier with a wagon! Just be sure to stay up on your maintenance because it's way cheaper than repairing something once it breaks.

Versatility, safety, MPG

Buy this car if you like throwing money in the trash
By heather50

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon T5 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.3L 5cyl Turbo 5M)

Everything has systematically broken down, cracked, snapped off or ripped on this car. My mechanic even shakes his head at the ridiculously poor quality of this vehicle. I spent well over 10,000 on mechanical repairs in the last 6 years, always thinking that each trip to the mechanic would be the last.....Ha! In addition to that expense- the following have happened: glove compartment hinge broken, electrical door locks and windows don't always work, panel by drive shaft cracked, side view mirror adjuster broken off, most speakers are not working, locking system on back hatch doesn't always close, vent panel for defrost fell off, and more burnt out head and tail lights than imaginable.

AS EXPECTED AND BETTER!
By mrsimpson

2001 Volvo V70 Wagon 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

First, after much review perhaps the XC models have far more problems than the 2.4T V70. I am at 124,000 and this car is the most comfortable, reliable and all around best car to drive. I also own a 2008 Audi A4, and although the Audi is the prize, I lean more toward driving the Volvo ALL THE TIME! The only issue I had was the radiator modulator going bad, which ran me about 575 dollars and only because my friend is a mechanic! Volvo would have easily been a 1000 plus job! But you know the parts are pricey, find a trusting local guy or do the regular maintenence yourself, it pays! That said I commute just shy of 90 miles a day and this car runs so smooth it is a pure joy. Also good on gas!

Favorites are the heated seats in winter, ice cold A/C in summer, SMOOTHE RIDE!, Fuel economy for a wagon is excellent, the POWER of the turbo is fantastic also, you will move when you want to and no one will even suspect it out of this somewhat unaspicious, less assuming beauty. Safety is also great, take a look behind you when you drive the wagon and you will realize, if one day some genius is texting or drunk driving and rams you from behind (enter joke here) then you will be more likely to be aok. The storage is better than most SUVs also!

Heat controls get funny, you have to adjust (this is a common flaw) but once you get it down, it becomes a part of this cars character strangely enough.