2000 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
4 Years - 100,000 miles
By danegirl on 03/01/11 12:21 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car used 10/2006 - 82k on it. Now I'm up to 181,775. Other than faulty trunk latch had no real issues until 2009. Had to replace driveshaft ($750 DIY). Other than eating up tires it really was a good car until no one caught the leak in the transfer case ($1,700 bad mechanic/$780 dealership fixed). ABS went bad but as eariler - Victor Rocha is a GOD! ($125). If you can do some of the work yourself I highly recommend it. The complicated stuff - make sure you KNOW that the mechanic who is working on it can actually fix it properly or just suck it up and go to a dealership. In So. Mich. go with Sesi Volvo. One final word of advices - if you hear a noise DO NOT IGNORE IT!

Buying new car one part at a time
By Christopher Hanks on 04/16/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Paid 5K$ for a V70 XC AWD Turbo with 95,420 miles plus 2K$ trade in. Biggest problem was failing Electronic Throttle Montrol (ETM) causing car to stumble and hesitate intermittently. Solution was to replace ETM with rebuilt/re-designed (non-mechanical) ETM for $689 plus $196 labor for installation. In first year have also had to replace serpentine belt, AC evaporator core, rack and pinion power steering assembly, catalytic converter, timing belt, engine mounts and rear stabilizer assembly - totaling another $8800 in parts and labor. Runs well now - hoping for another 100K mi

Get ready to shell out a lot of dough!
By Hutch3535 on 03/04/10 14:41 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I always wanted a Volvo wagon ever since I was a kid, so I was thrilled when I got my 2000 Volvo (used). Since purchasing the car in 2004, I have easily put in $12,000+ on major items: AWD system, new radiator, rebuilt transmission, etc. While I love this car when it's working - it's powerful and feels safe - I dread when the engine light goes on (which is quite often). Just found out I need a new catalytic converter and two O2 sensor - another $1700 repair. This time, I'm trading it in - I just can't see putting any more money into this car! I will NEVER EVER purchase another European car again...I'm going with Subaru for my next station wagon. I can see from this site many others agree!

2000 v70 awd Volvo
By Andre on 12/13/09 11:30 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

The car is very solid, it is well appointed with heated seats, retractable sun roof, the 2.4l motor has turbo. Overall this was a very good purchase: I travel many highway miles, the car hugs the road, and the turbo makes the fuel economy soar. The maintenance fits into the domestic price league so Costco oil changes & lubes for $35 are perfect choice for budget minded car owners. The awd in the recent snow with all season tires was ample. Overall, a very good car, fun to drive and safe with the kids.

My fourth Volvo
By Marc on 07/26/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

...and my last; hello Toyota!. This car is a disaster, I had a lot of problems from the start: rear axle fell off, blew 3 injectors, catalytic converter, one headlight does not work anymore, driver door cracks, weak air conditioner even after a $2,500 repair, also quite a few false alerts from the check engine light coming on for various defective sensors, and a host of other annoying issues. The Volvo dealers have always this attitude that they are doing you a favor to attend to your car. Also forget about getting an appointment less than a week ahead. The dealer in Hyannis took 3 days to replace one injector (no courtesy car)..

disappointed
By noluck on 07/25/09 17:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car based on safety and, what i thought, was reliability. It had 63,000 miles on it, one owner. Pretty car, nice to drive, when it ran. The car was in the shop every month. Nothing was less than 1,000 to fix. The ETS was recalled, car completely lost power on the highway. ABS module went, power windows, wiper motors broke, suspension/shocks needed replacement, 2 starters, brakes, had hatch fixed, gas mileage poor. Overall, I owned it for 3 years and it cost me over $4,000 in repairs. Very disappointed.

The Bad Reviews are all TRUE!
By Joe on 04/04/09 08:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car in January 2009 with just over 100K on it. After disregarding Consumer Reports and many horror stories on this site, I am paying the price now. In just two months, over $2000 put into it, and the check engine light came on couple of days ago, with codes for an oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. The interior is cheap and noisy, crazy squeaks and rattles. Alternator died, leaving me stranded on the highway. $700 to fix. Vibration in the engine, drivetrain issue the mechanic says. Stay away from the '98-'00 XC, great look and feel, but 90% chance it will cost you a boatload to keep running. I was hoping to be that 1 out of 10, but no such luck.

My 3rd and thankfully LAST Volvo
By ds on 03/12/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This car year was a lemon from the get-go and under no circumstance buy this car. Something was always wrong-at first it was the electrical system, then the headlights, then the gas cap not opening so that the entire rear interior panel had to be removed twice and on long trips. In 7 years of ownership we paid more in time and money for repairs than for the original purchase price. The seats are so uncomfortable and scrunch the driver that I had a painful hip and drove sitting on a pillow the last year of ownership. Volvo service and parts are super expensive and the Volvo dealers in my area are arrogant. It is nice not having to throw away money! Returned to Toyota-much more satisfied.

Volvo Cross Country
By kathy on 12/21/07 15:30 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

My friends call this car "the limo". Everyone loves to ride in it. Sit in the back to see why this car is so special.

never again
By never again on 02/09/07 10:58 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

We moved to Maine and thought we should have a volvo, Well, since we've owned it I have been stranded twice in BELGRADE LAKES, Maine- essentially in the middle of nowhere. We've had electrical problems, too many tires replaced and lots of little things- the seat adjustment mechanism broke off, the in-dash lighter fell into the center console (so no MP3 hook up for me!), the lights from the radio have gone out and the cup holder broke. So annoying for the money we shelled out. Will never drive a Volvo again. Not worth the price tag.