2003 Volvo S40 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )
for volvo...not bad.
By BunBun on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

for a 18 yr old guy.. i'm quite happy abt s40.. i never thot volvo will design diff. looks. Cuz usually they jus design it square and ...u no .. like a coffin.. but for S40..its amazing. Even though its a demo car when i bought it.. the car still runs smoothly and i only have to bring to dealer for check up once so far to change brake that had been worn off, tires rotation and tires alignment.

three year owner and still happy
By djones on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We searched high and low for an affordable safe car without driveing a status symbol and found the 2000 S40. I wanted a good commuter car that would be dependable and fun to drive for many years. I do most of my own maintenance and have not had any mechanical problems;the dealer has treated me like royality. The car is not a family of four car but works out fine for a family of three! We purchased the car in August of 2000 loaded with all the features except heated seats; and we love it, love it , love it!

Too Often Overlooked
By S40 in MD on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The S40 has got to be one of the most over looked automobiles. I have owned the car for 8 months and it is a joy to drive. Plenty of acceleration, good handeling, comfortable, very secure in bad weather, economical, reduced insurance and no gimics. The model is to be replaced mid-year 2004, so watch for good discounts as Volvo does.

Yes it is a Volvo but.....
By StuartL. on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Got a great deal on a demo model with exactly the features that I wanted. People in the dealership are great and not stuckup like Audi and BMW. Given Volvo's reputation for building sturdy, dependable cars I have been surprised by the need for new break pads every 20K and the high maintanence costs.

S40 Makes a middle-aged dad happy!
By jefwfunk on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The turbo as standard equipment on this car really makes it an attractive sporty option for someone who doesn't want a Taurus or Camry. With two young kids I need a 4 door and the airbag cagte really encourages me that safety will be paramount. Combine that with the zippy way she handles and the smoothness of the ride at speed and I couldn't have done better for $10k more. Best of all, both girls are always asking me to "Open the roof, Daddy!"

An expensive lemon
By cyr on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Owned this lemon for 2 years. I trusted Volvo for its reliability and Volvo did not deliver it. I have to take this car for repairs every 3 months on average. Only 21,000 miles, but I had 6 problems + 2 recalls. Everything from windshield wipers failure in the middle of a storm, to misalignment of the hood, to check engine lights on for transmission problems, to check engine lights on for unknown reasons, etc..... Brake pads had to be replaced after 15,000 miles. Air conditioning recall + transmission software upgrade recall. To sum it up, Expensive lemon, unreliable, and poor service

Safety at a great price
By mslamont on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

A safe, and pleasant vehicle at a great price. Good pickup, smooth ride.

Fred's review
By Fred Miller on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Of the 9 new cars I've owned in the past 50 years, the S-40 is my all-time favorite--even better than the two 240's I owned for 15 years overall. Volvo--it's for Life, really it is!!

Great Car!
By alainecd on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car new for $21,995 + tax and lic. with premium package (leather and moonroof!) You can't beat that price. It has excellent safety features and is a comfortable ride. The interior materials are very nice and classy.

Our 2002 S40
By Davit on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Noticed wind noise from sunroof, brought it in. Dealer of course said there's nothing wrong with it. A few months later the headliner had a water stain on it from a water leak. The dealer fixed the roof properly, but got greasy fingerprints all over the new headliner. Also the new headliner was installed improperly, now have at least 3 rattles we didn't have before. Had problem with the intermittent wipers not working and cruise control. All total we've had 6 dealer visits in the first 9 months of ownership, not what we expected in terms of Volvo reliability. Other than these problems the car has been very good.