2003 Volvo S40 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

2003 S40 Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Near the top of this Valet's list.
By jeffj-nj

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

700 characters is just NOT enough room to sing this car's praises. I work as a valet, so I've driven, oh, about everything. That said, there is nothing on the road today offering this cost/quality ratio. Everything about the car is just so... right. I had originally prepared a several paragraph essay about this, but I can't post it or even figure out what to cut from it. So, I'll sum it up with this: I've put 25k miles on this car, and enjoyed every one of them. Considering several hundred of them were accumulated in one sitting, and/or during the worst winter NJ has seen in some time, that's really saying quite a bit. If you're looking elsewhere, stop.

Favorite Features

Satisfying 'thud' of the door, silky smooth accelaration, lightning-fast traction control reflexes, physical and emotional comfort, and, oh yeah, the actually functional windshield defogger that doesn't f' up your cabin temperature.

Suggested Improvements

Chrome trimmed guages would be nice, aluminum with leather too - not just cloth, higher stereo, or at least angled up (your eyes are off the road too long - safety first, remember?), a "no seat-belt" chime is very mysteriously absent, but mostly, where's the manual transmission?!

love it!
By dms6dms6

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my Volvo. I have had it just over a year now and I've put 26K miles on it...and I've had no problems with it. It is a great car for the money.

Bad Brakes
By jamminjay

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Brakes should NOT fail at 15,000 miles! On a regular maintenance trip to the dealer they informed us that the rear brakes had less than 10% life life and needed to be replaced. WHAT???? Other than that a peppy little car, pretty solid.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is excellent!

Suggested Improvements

Interior integrity is no too good. Headliner popped out around the sunroof, seatbelt enclosures tend to separate. Re engineer the rear brakes!!!!

Great Car for the Price
By Siddiqui

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have bought this car 2 weeks ago, and I love it, This car is quick.With Ford Xplan and $4500 incenticve it is a true bargain, I am waiting to see how it handles in the winter, I opted for sports and climate package with Moonroof. I have read people have some problems in 2000 and 2001 models but i think there are all fixed in 2003. I have checked A4 and VW Passat but they were too pricey as compared to S40.

Favorite Features

Turbo Engine, handling, safety feature, fuel economy, lumbar support in front seats, 70/30 split in back seats, booster rear seats for kids, heated seats will be great in winter times.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic Dimming rear view mirror (should be there for this price range car), electronic compass, steering wheel radio controls (would have been a real plus).

Culturally confused but very nice
By Larry Pope

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have never owned a Ford product. I have never owned a Volvo. I've never owned a Mitsubishi product. I've never owned a car built in Holland. One purchase covered all of those voids. That said, the car is well built, and gutsy. It's my wife's driver and she loves it. My only complaint with the car is that the 4 cylinder is a little noisy. But I've driven few 4 cylinders that didn't sound like sewing machines.

Favorite Features

Overall exterior design. I used to hate Volvos. Called them "Swedish Tractors". Ugly ugly ugly. The new generations of car show some style and "American" influence. Whether it's Ford's ownership or they simply had to come into the 21st century, they've done a nice job with the styling.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 bolt wheels look a little cheap. The castings are good and the styling is fine, make them 5 bolt. Overall, no major complaints or concerns.

Close to a lemon
By Consultant

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Car has been in repair an average of once per month since we got it. The gas gauge still doesn't work although Volvo made several attempts to recalibrate. Have blown two headlights and the list goes on. Can't wait to get rid of this piece of junk. My first ever car was a Volvo and this will be my last Volvo.

Safety First Performance First
By PenguinPete

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is real good for the price it cant be beat the 03s are now going for around 21-22K fully equipped with premium and climate packages. Its a well made automobile thats FUN to drive. I just wish it had a little more room in the rear I guess thats what the S60 is for but 4 fit fine for a 2 hr trip. Any more I dont know Im never out of the drivers seat.

Favorite Features

Color red is awesome plenty o looks, comfy seats, climate control

Suggested Improvements

Use the S60 leather you charging us the same price

Is This a Volvo?
By CG's binky

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had this car 3 months.I have taken 2 long trips,commute and fun trips.On short drives it handles and has great pick-up.On long drives it has been extremely comfortable and easy to drive.In a pinch,it moved with stabil- ity and traction.I've never owned a Volvo,but I am absolutely sure my money was well spent.It has been fun, good- looking, comfortable and best of all, safe. It has enough verve to equal the responsiveness of a manual trans.As a friend mentioned -"look at all the old Volvo's you see on the road".Can't say I want to own an old Volvo,but it's nice to know it would likely last as long as I would want.I could not be happier with this car!

Favorite Features

handling, and turbo. It has a very sporty feel-not at all what I expected!

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked to try a manual trans-not available. I really like the aluminum or brushed nickel interiors in other cars- maybe in the future? Updated dials and dash appearance could do a lot for this car.

Oh, not bad
By John Lee

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We test drove VW Passat, and Jetta. Both vehicles had a higher price tag. The S40 is by far a better car. Good power and the handleing is excellent for a Front Wheel drive car.

Favorite Features

It is quiet, comfort, but somewhat expensive.

Suggested Improvements

rear seat space

Oh, not bad
By JOHN LEE

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Favorite Features

It is quiet, comfort, but somewhat expensive.

Suggested Improvements

rear seat space