2003 Volvo S40 - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )
Great Car
By Dustin07456 on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is the second S40 that i have owned. It is an exceptionally reliable car with good pick up and very good handling. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Love my S40
By motor_city_smitty on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Solidly built. I could tell it is a quality vehicle when you shut the door and sit in the interior. The inside dash is well laid out.

Before you buy
By CBG on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really do like my S40, but the maintenance cost are a bit outrageous. In one year I have spent apx. $700.00 JUST ON MAINTENANCE. Plus every 15,000 miles you have to replace all the break pads ($150). The car is very fun to drive and has great pick-up, but if I had known I would be spending so much money on maintenance I would have stayed with my Toyota.

Just a great car!!
By cyclegirl on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I love my car. I might mention that I do have all the options on my car. I have had very little problem with the car. The headlights have gone out, and I had the rear brakes replaced. The ride is very smooth and there is more than enough power when passing or entering a freeway. I have had my car 3 years, and after 34,000 miles, it's just been very reliable. Oh, mileage on the highway seems to be very good.

Great Car! Great Pricing
By Jammer on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Even though I am a large person I have found this car to have great seating and leg room. Peppy, Fun and luxurious are words that describe how it feels to drive this awesome compact sedan. I never would have guessed a Volvo could be so much fun to drive!

Love my Volvo!
By TLA72 on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is easy to handle and fun to drive. It is a fast little car. The leather interior is great quality and the seats are very comfortable. As a mother, it is a great feeling to know that I am driving my son in one of the worlds safest cars!

what you will
By boyo on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Despite problems with the central computer unit, this is the best vehicle I've owned over the last 40 years.

S40
By Dshark on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

never owned a near-luxury vehicle but the S40 is fantastic so far. The gas mileage takes some getting used to as I previously owned a Mazda Protege LX. Also, it had a manual trany. Great.

Glad to get rid of it
By timo on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Was shocked at what a high matainance car it was. Aside from ride and being safe, the cost of breaks every 15,000 miles and tune up every 7,500 (one over $500) if you want Volvo to do it. Also, went through 6 headlights in 6 months (warrenty covered) and A/C needed work. I was glad to see it go and went for more reliable and smoother riding Toyota

Best Car I've Owned
By big rich on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Best car I have ever owned in 30 yrs. of driving. For this price ($26,000) range you can't do better. Quiet, super comfortable, and an unbelievable ride. I will never buy anything else.