1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
I love my Volvo
By itssamyo

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I love my 850. It is my first car that my family has owned since 1997. Four years ago when I started driving it I was admittedly ashamed to have a "soccer mom car". My attitude quickly changed. Its a N/A four speed automatic that is going on 274000 miles. The car is showing its age with little squeaks and rattles, the hatch no longer stays open on its own, and little bits and bobs seem to be wearing out. Despite this it has been an incredibly safe form of transportation. While repairs are far from cheap, the engine and transmission are bulletproof and continue to work well, and I tend to push this wagon very hard.

Favorite Features

The interior space and comfort is the best thing about this wagon. I call it my front-wheel-drive pick up truck because when the seats are folded down you realize how cavernous this car can be. The seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in and road trips are a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

Do yourself a favor and buy a manual. The automatic is quite sluggish and not very efficient. If you can't drive stick, make sure to get one with the sport switch which lets you more easily access the higher RPM's.

Speedy Masochist, Inexpensive Oldy
By mattmyth1

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought a 95 Turbo wagon 14 months ago. It had been loved by 2 owners, 220,000 miles. Finding it was not easy. I looked at 6 different wagons before I found my car. Luckily, I met a local mechanic/enthusiast in LA, twice I was close to buying but hired him to inspect the vehicles which I highly recommend. Both times I avoided buying pieces of junk from liars. Do your research, know the common problems. I bought the car and restored the interior for next to nothing thanks to all of the junkyards in the area. Also had the engine restored and swapped my auto trans for a manual. The car is amazing for what I paid. I purchased a tune, and the car is so viscous, a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Turbo, manual trans, spacious cushy road trip wagon. Durable, I drive it very hard and it takes it all. I blast the engine to red line, it's tough. An impressive engine, great car for the price.

Suggested Improvements

The dashboard. Was very noisy, read forums for suggestions and strategies to reduce rattling. Know that if you buy this car, you will need a trustworthy mechanic at your disposal unless you are willing to learn to work on them yourself. This is a great car for novices to work on, but you will need a stocked local junkyard at your disposal.

Durable
By joes12

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We got a good deal on an 850,after my Caprice died unexpectedly. It was my first 'foreign' car,and aside from a little getting used to it turned out to be pretty durable and low maintenance...even up to the 250,000 I had it. Ultimately it started to develop a head gasket issue that we found wasn't worth fixing at that stage.

Favorite Features

Safe vehicle,all wheel drive better in snow.

Suggested Improvements

More interior lighting,labeling.

Best car I have ever owned
By schuckles

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 used, the previous owner beat the crap out of it and I've been restoring it. My 850 lacks the turbo, it is a bit slow. However, the 5 cyl engine that Volvo used in this car is rock solid, it starts every time. The car drives like a dream, it holds just about anything you can imagine, the MPG is nothing to write home about (avg 19.8 MPG). The gear shifter is a little notchy, requires a large throw. The odometer stopped working at 185k miles, but using the computer diag port, it's actually got 214k miles - the vehicle shows no sign of giving out - it just keeps going! The suspension and all wheel disc brakes give it a sporty edge, but the engine is under powered.

Favorite Features

The climate control is a little weird, but it works well enough. The turning radius is crazy awesome, the brakes are great.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the electronic seat was more reliable, wish the 5-speed manual came with a turbo.

850 Turbo Wagon
By mreadygo

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Loved the car. With age certain aspects started to go. But took many long drives and got me home every time.

Favorite Features

Handing, control and stability of driving. Loved all the room for travel and how the car compacted well

Suggested Improvements

none

Good workhorse, I will miss her!
By oaklandgirl

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car new, after our first child was born. I've loved driving this car with many children in the back (including the rear-facing seat), feeling safe and protected. The car always felt heavy, "mushed out" on tight curves, but that's the price I've was willing to pay for safety and comfort. The car has been very expensive to maintain: because we live on a hill, the car (which is heavy) requires new tires every two years, seat belt failures, light bulb failures, heating system failures -- all very expensive! The odometer stopped working a few years ago, and we just "blew" a valve (common for Turbos I'm told). I, unfortunately, will not buy a Volvo again because of this.

Favorite Features

Safety, practicality, cargo room and, yes, looks! It never left me stranded.

Suggested Improvements

The window & side-view mirror controls should be moved from the center console! Electrical system needs an overhaul. The dash should be built in such a way that getting behind it to replace a light bulb shouldn't cost $800 in labor!

Volvo? Never Again!!
By M&P

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought used w/ 167Kmiles (13 yrs old). Prev. svc records showed good care, but fixes cost us $3,000 in 4 mos. "Check Engine" light came on before we got it home. Next wk the ABS had a fault; day after that, another ABS fault (ABS Control module [the "brain] died; vehicle speed sensor died; electronic climate control & keyless entry unreliable; today the car sputters & won't start; rattles badly & gives a rough ride. After 30+ years of German cars, we decided to try a Volvo for reliability. What a mistake! This one won't make it to 200K. No on will ever buy this if we're honest. Parts & repairs VERY expensive. Not DIY friendly. Tow companies love us. Afraid to take long trip in this car.

Favorite Features

Honestly? Nothing stands out except big cargo area in this wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy a used '95 850 Turbo - front to back, everything needs to be improved. Will never, ever buy another Volvo. This one is a nightmare.

My lil tank
By peoplesuck29

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love my Volvo! she is solid, safe and well...solid. I love the feeling of the doors when the close...you get that solid WHAMMM its very reassuring! I love the comfort and economy of a wagon. The sporty handling is a plus...burn outs certainly don't take much effort. The reliability is a little questionable but she always turns over...so no real complaints. Gas mileage is GREAT considering how hard i drive the car and how heavy it is...i get 20mpg average around town 27 highway. I live and Maine and winters here are terrible...however the volvo is a champ, i had to go out in thr worst storm of the year...i NEVER slipped once! traction was out of this world...not to mention she weighs so much

Favorite Features

gas mileage, handling, economy of a wagon, value, winter driving is a BLAST! seat comfort and above all, safety.

Suggested Improvements

better quality parts...i know she is old but the build quality is a little less than my friends 240's, 740's....

Once a Volvo owner, always a Volvo owner
By volvo4life

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have really enjoyed owning my Volvo. Sure she may not be a fashion statement, but she is full of character! It is everything that a well build Swedish car should be: rock solid. I have had a few issues with the battery but besides that she turns over and runs fine. I love the turbo! Really kicks in at speeds over 30 mph.

Favorite Features

the turbo! comfort, cargo room, premium sound, heated front and rear seats, moon-roof, trac-meter, auto window, safety features! I love the solid feel and engaging drive. respectable fuel economy, 22 city, 29 highway.

Suggested Improvements

Make the dash with a high quality product. The car is overall very well built but I would have liked a better quality dash material. Other than that, keep it up Volvo. You got me hooked!

Love my 850
By Jim

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 20K miles from a dealer in 96. It was a Hertz rental for a year before I bought it. Best deal ever. It has never had a major problem after 140K miles. Wear yes, but my partner is obsessive about maintenance and care. But we have to sell. Got another fab deal on a year old 2007 S80. I'm having difficulty selling because of the memories and worry free experience. Maybe I'll keep it, just because I love Volvos. I hope Ford didn't screw up the quality too much since I bought this one.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort A+. Reliability A+ And surprisingly not that expensive to maintain. But I have a great mechanic and will take my cars to no one else.

Suggested Improvements

Tailgate mechanicals is a forever problem for all 850 wagons. Fabric doesn't last long enough, exterior trim needed replacement. Everyone needs new clothes and Volvos need them too after 12 years.