1995 Volvo 850 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
I love my Volvo
By itssamyo on 07/18/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I love my 850. It is my first car that my family has owned since 1997. Four years ago when I started driving it I was admittedly ashamed to have a "soccer mom car". My attitude quickly changed. Its a N/A four speed automatic that is going on 274000 miles. The car is showing its age with little squeaks and rattles, the hatch no longer stays open on its own, and little bits and bobs seem to be wearing out. Despite this it has been an incredibly safe form of transportation. While repairs are far from cheap, the engine and transmission are bulletproof and continue to work well, and I tend to push this wagon very hard.

Speedy Masochist, Inexpensive Oldy
By mattmyth1 on 06/06/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought a 95 Turbo wagon 14 months ago. It had been loved by 2 owners, 220,000 miles. Finding it was not easy. I looked at 6 different wagons before I found my car. Luckily, I met a local mechanic/enthusiast in LA, twice I was close to buying but hired him to inspect the vehicles which I highly recommend. Both times I avoided buying pieces of junk from liars. Do your research, know the common problems. I bought the car and restored the interior for next to nothing thanks to all of the junkyards in the area. Also had the engine restored and swapped my auto trans for a manual. The car is amazing for what I paid. I purchased a tune, and the car is so viscous, a blast to drive.

Durable
By joes12 on 01/26/13 19:31 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We got a good deal on an 850,after my Caprice died unexpectedly. It was my first 'foreign' car,and aside from a little getting used to it turned out to be pretty durable and low maintenance...even up to the 250,000 I had it. Ultimately it started to develop a head gasket issue that we found wasn't worth fixing at that stage.

Best car I have ever owned
By schuckles on 01/29/12 07:25 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 used, the previous owner beat the crap out of it and I've been restoring it. My 850 lacks the turbo, it is a bit slow. However, the 5 cyl engine that Volvo used in this car is rock solid, it starts every time. The car drives like a dream, it holds just about anything you can imagine, the MPG is nothing to write home about (avg 19.8 MPG). The gear shifter is a little notchy, requires a large throw. The odometer stopped working at 185k miles, but using the computer diag port, it's actually got 214k miles - the vehicle shows no sign of giving out - it just keeps going! The suspension and all wheel disc brakes give it a sporty edge, but the engine is under powered.

850 Turbo Wagon
By mreadygo on 01/13/10 11:12 AM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Loved the car. With age certain aspects started to go. But took many long drives and got me home every time.

Good workhorse, I will miss her!
By oaklandgirl on 09/27/09 12:25 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car new, after our first child was born. I've loved driving this car with many children in the back (including the rear-facing seat), feeling safe and protected. The car always felt heavy, "mushed out" on tight curves, but that's the price I've was willing to pay for safety and comfort. The car has been very expensive to maintain: because we live on a hill, the car (which is heavy) requires new tires every two years, seat belt failures, light bulb failures, heating system failures -- all very expensive! The odometer stopped working a few years ago, and we just "blew" a valve (common for Turbos I'm told). I, unfortunately, will not buy a Volvo again because of this.

Volvo? Never Again!!
By M&P on 03/10/09 22:45 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought used w/ 167Kmiles (13 yrs old). Prev. svc records showed good care, but fixes cost us $3,000 in 4 mos. "Check Engine" light came on before we got it home. Next wk the ABS had a fault; day after that, another ABS fault (ABS Control module [the "brain] died; vehicle speed sensor died; electronic climate control & keyless entry unreliable; today the car sputters & won't start; rattles badly & gives a rough ride. After 30+ years of German cars, we decided to try a Volvo for reliability. What a mistake! This one won't make it to 200K. No on will ever buy this if we're honest. Parts & repairs VERY expensive. Not DIY friendly. Tow companies love us. Afraid to take long trip in this car.

My lil tank
By peoplesuck29 on 03/08/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love my Volvo! she is solid, safe and well...solid. I love the feeling of the doors when the close...you get that solid WHAMMM its very reassuring! I love the comfort and economy of a wagon. The sporty handling is a plus...burn outs certainly don't take much effort. The reliability is a little questionable but she always turns over...so no real complaints. Gas mileage is GREAT considering how hard i drive the car and how heavy it is...i get 20mpg average around town 27 highway. I live and Maine and winters here are terrible...however the volvo is a champ, i had to go out in thr worst storm of the year...i NEVER slipped once! traction was out of this world...not to mention she weighs so much

Once a Volvo owner, always a Volvo owner
By volvo4life on 11/20/08 18:26 PM (PST)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have really enjoyed owning my Volvo. Sure she may not be a fashion statement, but she is full of character! It is everything that a well build Swedish car should be: rock solid. I have had a few issues with the battery but besides that she turns over and runs fine. I love the turbo! Really kicks in at speeds over 30 mph.

Love my 850
By Jim on 08/27/08 20:53 PM (PDT)

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 20K miles from a dealer in 96. It was a Hertz rental for a year before I bought it. Best deal ever. It has never had a major problem after 140K miles. Wear yes, but my partner is obsessive about maintenance and care. But we have to sell. Got another fab deal on a year old 2007 S80. I'm having difficulty selling because of the memories and worry free experience. Maybe I'll keep it, just because I love Volvos. I hope Ford didn't screw up the quality too much since I bought this one.