Don't Buy One!
By BWare on
2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I admired the looks of the Jetta for a long time and knew this was the car for me. I bought it with 15,00 miles in 2001. When I drove the 5 speed, I was thrilled with its zip and handling. Never had a more fun car to drive. However, this car has cost me more money to maintain than ANY I have ever owned. Replacement of coils, light and electrical probs, the list is a long one. I will never own another Volkswagon. I am going back to buy another reliable, if a bit boring, Honda-which I had before and which cost me almost nothing to maintain and never broke down.
Favorite Features
Drivablity. It is a blast to drive.
Suggested Improvements
Horrible interior material Dog hair sticks like glue. Cheap cup holders. Bad electrical probs with windows, etc everyone complains of this with Volkswagons.
By mickeyt52
on 04/02/11 22:07 PM (PDT)

The coils should have been covered by a recall. The turbo engines have always been finicky, what with all the plumbing that goes with it. Most enthusiasts do away with a lot of it, and put aftermarket fittings on. Problem is that turbos generate an awful lot of heat under the hood, causing the rubber hoses to deteriorate. The newer 2.0 liter tsi engines don't have these problems - they (VW) learned a few lessons along the way (same with the windows).