Used 2006 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Another great Toyota truck!!
By huladog

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous Toyota truck was a 1992 4WD V6 with a 5-speed. I racked up over 285,000 miles on it with no problems. Take care of your Toyota, it will take care of you. Same has held true for my 2006 Tundra. I found an extremely rare 2006 SR5 Access Cab with the 4.0L and a 6-speed manual transmission and had to have it. Bought it in 2011 with 181,000 miles. Miles mean nothing on Toyotas if they have been maintained. Replaced the shocks with Bilstein HD's (Yellow), and it made it ride like a new truck! With 220,000 miles on it, I am ready to declare my Tundra the worthy successor to the Beast! Had one single failure, a bad coil, which was easy to replace. 400,000 here I come!

Favorite Features

Smooth power from 4.0L engine Roomy and comfortable Smooth, quiet ride and great noise isolation Accurate steering makes highway cruising easy Very tight turning radius compared to competition Love my Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade to performance brake pads for measurable improvement in performance. Dash material a little plasticky. Durable, but can scratch Stock sound system is pretty weak

Solid Truck.
By roverfanatic7

2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Have the 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited. Best truck. Comfortable, fun to drive, luxury interior, and solid reliability. The truck has 100,000 miles on it and no problems whatsoever. Maintenance is cheap. MPG isn't great, but it is a truck with V8 power. Solid offroader, great for firewooding and hunting. You won't find a better value. This truck defensibly definitely beats the American competitors.

Favorite Features

Offroad ready; power

Suggested Improvements

Bigger wheels and tires

What a truck.
By fj80

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Perfect all around truck, great gas millage and reliability.

Favorite Features

There is lots of talk out there regarding tundra locking on towing power and I strongly disagree with this statement. I have hauled power generators 4-7K lbs all day every day for 5 years and it performed great. I have added couple of lives in the rear suspension to handle extra towing and that made the truck. With the extra help the truck was more stable and it handled 1000lbs of constant weight I would carry on me at all times. The bed thing is the truck is gone my company that i work for decided to replace it for 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 and all the fun ended there.

Suggested Improvements

All the truck needs is stiffer suspension on the back. Stronger Rear differential (2000-2006 models equipped with 4.10 diff).

Great TRUCK!
By yangk

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this truck used with 14,000 miles in 2008. Now has 56,000 miles and needs it's first pair of brakes. It's a V8 so gas/fuel consumption is not like a PRIUS so I'm not whinning. I average 18 mpg mix hwy/city and about 19-20 hwy. Tows my 18' Lund fishing boat nicely. 6' bed is a must, I didn't buy a new Tundra because of the bed. The crew cab is great, handles 5 adult passenger w/ ease. Interior is ok, when it's cold, it creeks when you go over bumps. Parking is a-ok, like any truck, it won't have turning radius like my wife's Lexus. Overall, I love it, and plan on keeping it for a LONG LONG LONG time! These trucks are also hard to come along. If I find another one, I might snatch er' up

Favorite Features

V8, 4x4, rolling rear window, truck bed, crew cab

Suggested Improvements

Paint is slowly peeling underside of my fenders, but I drive through gravel roads so it doesn't surprise me.

Love this truck
By truckie124

2006 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in 2008 with 18000 miles and have put 30000 on it since then. I used it for 2 years for my carpentry business. Rear sliding window came in handy picking up lumber. My father has a 2004 SR5 and the 2006 rides much more car-like than the 2004. It really feels smooth and is an all around great truck. Used to drive a Chevy but had problems with the transmission at 30K miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything for us (after our family had bought 4 cars from them). Will never go back after driving this truck! I love this thing!

Favorite Features

Pros: Reliable, Smooth ride, powerful enough for what most will use it for (this includes contractors), spacious rear seat (for an access cab), 6 cup holders for people like me who drink a lot of coffee, logical controls, great performance in snow in 4wd, looks awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Cons: tire pressure sensor light problematic and is a nuisance feature, seatbelts don't retract well, poor interior lighting (very hard to see or read anything at night, poor turning radius when parking. Occasional hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear in upshift and downshift.