Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Reliable, reliable, reliable. And comfy.
By joe_kickass

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The best vehicle I've ever owned. Smooth, powerful, comfortable, and above all else, RELIABLE. Quietest cab I've ever ridden in. I've got 114,00 miles on this 8 year-old truck, some of which have been very hard miles. Like 2 yards of concrete in the bed kind of hard. (I've got air springs in the back, increasing payload and improving handling). There's not even a rattle in the cab after 8 years. Tight as a drum. This thing has never needed anything more than standard maintenance. Ford, GM, and Dodge can say they have the better rig, but read the comments on those used trucks on this very website. You won't want anything but a Tundra when you do. Unless you're a dumb redneck.

Favorite Features

NO road noise, air-tight cab, ride quality, and reliability. Full width power back window is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer coil springs and shocks in the front and improved fuel economy. There's no reason a 4.7L V8 should only get 16MPG combined mileage.

Best owned Vehicle to date!
By shodon_main

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I currently own the 2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr 4x4 and it is the best vehicle that I have owned yet! I bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it and have since put 30,000 more miles onto it and it hasnt even had a hicup. I have driven the truck from Colorado to the tip of texas and back, hauled a packed full 6'x12' trailer from Colorado to New York and then from New York to Oklahoma and havent had a single problem or gripe with this truck. I currently use it as a daily driver and occasionally to haul the 4 wheeler to the sand dunes for a fun weekend.

Favorite Features

I love the 4 wheel drive on this truck. It always enguages when I need it to and has never had a problem pulling me out or through the toughest of situations. I have taken it off roading in the mountains of Colorado to the Sand Dunes in Oklahoma. The seats are very comfy and the seat warmers are a life saver on those fridged days. There is plenty of room in the back seat to haul all my buddies from work or just to throw nice things into if you dont want them sitting back in the bed. The truck has plenty of torque and more than enough get up and go even when hauling heavy trailers. I really like that the whole back window slides down at the push of a button.

Suggested Improvements

This truck is an older truck now so a lot of the imporvements have already been made on it. A back up camera is a pretty good idea with these trucks as they are quite large and it helps if you use a trailer a lot. The turning radius on this truck is pretty bad so a lot of the time you will have to do a couple point turn for things and really think about where to turn and where you simply wont be able too. At this point the paint all around my truck seems to be chipping or peeling. Not sure if that is just me or others as well. Overall thought it is a solid truck and very fun to drive. Highly recommended to anyone thinking of buying one.

Good Truck......until.......
By miamioolite

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well. I wanted a full size truck that didn't outweigh a tank so this series of Tundra fit the bill. Drives more car like, so agile easy to park. Acceleration is good when empty, huals well, tows well. At 77k miles the air pump failed, disables the engine, $3k to fix. Not warrantied. Poorly made corner cutting part. Toyota won't help. I understand it has 77k on it, but Toyota quality in these mid years has gone down. Replaced the ball joint, window motor, motor mount. Maybe I got a bad car, but check out the Tundra forums. I am not alone. Not what toyota used to be.

Favorite Features

Towing, comfortable, great driving truck!

Suggested Improvements

Oyi. How about bump your quality back up instead of trying to be the biggest car maker in the world. Probably not buying a toyota again. Tiny parts cost the same as a new transmission. lame.

Big truck mileage, mid-sized performance.
By ygbsm

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I needed a vehicle for reliable transportation to replace my 20 year old F-150. The dealer offered me an awesome deal on a three year old, low mileage Tundra and I took it. Very comfortable, 100% reliable, handles well and holds its value. On the downside is the mileage. Most of my driving is commuting to/from work and I feel fortunate if I get 15 MPG. I want to put a camper (slide-in pop-up type) on it and am extremely limited in what I can get. The tow capacity is more than what I've ever needed but I'd like to have more available. My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks get better mileage than I do.

Favorite Features

It's very comfortable and I never, EVER, have questioned whether or not it'll get me where I want to go. The stereo is good, the controls are easy/accessible and it cruises down the interstate with a solid feel.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing...the truck has grown up. Even now, I'd be looking at American trucks for serious hauling capacity.

Great little/big truck
By Terry

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it. I am an on the road salesman and the truck has never let me down. I now have over 205,000 miles on it and get about 21 miles per gal. Its never been tuned up, nor has the timing belt been changed. I have no doubt the truck will keep on going.

Favorite Features

The suspension appears like a 4-wheel drive, especially when I had over size tires on it. The interior is very comfortable. The ride is smooth. I don't care for the stereo/radio.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better stereo/radio and speakers.