Used 2005 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Can Not Find a Better Bang For Your Buck Even Used!
By shodon_main

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Wow! I knew that Toyota had one heck of a reputation when I purchased this truck used with 40,000 miles on it but now I am a true believer sitting here with almost 100K on the odometer. This thing is built like a rock! I have driven it from Colorado to South Padre Island and back hauling 4 buddies and our gear. I have towed heavy loads from Colorado to NY, NY to OK, OK to AZ and never had so much as a hick-up with this thing! It is very comfy and can easily seat 5 grown men. I am not afraid to go off-road with this vehicle as I know it can stand up to some punishment. I have had to perform nothing but routine maintenance since purchasing. It is very easy to take care of.

I personally love the ride of this truck. It is comfortable for trips down the road to get groceries or towing trailers across the US. All the features work great, 4x4, power windows and seats, heated seats, AC, and stereo. Mechanically a solid rock, very hard to break and is very easy to fix or perform general maintenance. It is well designed and fun to drive.

The only real downside I have had with my truck so far is the paint on the outside. It totally chipped off the front bumper and the black edging around the windows is chipping off especially around the back window. I haven't read to many other people having this problem so it might just be an isolated incident. Finally not as a negative but simple because of a lack of a better place to put it this truck gets somewhere around 14 MPG. I can usually get somewhere around 300 miles to a tank of gas, sometimes going as far as 330 and sometimes getting as little as 280 depending on how I'm driving. It is a truck, and a slightly older one at that so its expected not to get the best mpg.

Reliable, reliable, reliable. And comfy.
By joe_kickass

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The best vehicle I've ever owned. Smooth, powerful, comfortable, and above all else, RELIABLE. Quietest cab I've ever ridden in. I've got 114,00 miles on this 8 year-old truck, some of which have been very hard miles. Like 2 yards of concrete in the bed kind of hard. (I've got air springs in the back, increasing payload and improving handling). There's not even a rattle in the cab after 8 years. Tight as a drum. This thing has never needed anything more than standard maintenance. Ford, GM, and Dodge can say they have the better rig, but read the comments on those used trucks on this very website. You won't want anything but a Tundra when you do. Unless you're a dumb redneck.

NO road noise, air-tight cab, ride quality, and reliability. Full width power back window is awesome.

Stiffer coil springs and shocks in the front and improved fuel economy. There's no reason a 4.7L V8 should only get 16MPG combined mileage.

Best owned Vehicle to date!
By shodon_main

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Double Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I currently own the 2005 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr 4x4 and it is the best vehicle that I have owned yet! I bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it and have since put 30,000 more miles onto it and it hasnt even had a hicup. I have driven the truck from Colorado to the tip of texas and back, hauled a packed full 6'x12' trailer from Colorado to New York and then from New York to Oklahoma and havent had a single problem or gripe with this truck. I currently use it as a daily driver and occasionally to haul the 4 wheeler to the sand dunes for a fun weekend.

I love the 4 wheel drive on this truck. It always enguages when I need it to and has never had a problem pulling me out or through the toughest of situations. I have taken it off roading in the mountains of Colorado to the Sand Dunes in Oklahoma. The seats are very comfy and the seat warmers are a life saver on those fridged days. There is plenty of room in the back seat to haul all my buddies from work or just to throw nice things into if you dont want them sitting back in the bed. The truck has plenty of torque and more than enough get up and go even when hauling heavy trailers. I really like that the whole back window slides down at the push of a button.

This truck is an older truck now so a lot of the imporvements have already been made on it. A back up camera is a pretty good idea with these trucks as they are quite large and it helps if you use a trailer a lot. The turning radius on this truck is pretty bad so a lot of the time you will have to do a couple point turn for things and really think about where to turn and where you simply wont be able too. At this point the paint all around my truck seems to be chipping or peeling. Not sure if that is just me or others as well. Overall thought it is a solid truck and very fun to drive. Highly recommended to anyone thinking of buying one.

Good Truck......until.......
By miamioolite

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Well. I wanted a full size truck that didn't outweigh a tank so this series of Tundra fit the bill. Drives more car like, so agile easy to park. Acceleration is good when empty, huals well, tows well. At 77k miles the air pump failed, disables the engine, $3k to fix. Not warrantied. Poorly made corner cutting part. Toyota won't help. I understand it has 77k on it, but Toyota quality in these mid years has gone down. Replaced the ball joint, window motor, motor mount. Maybe I got a bad car, but check out the Tundra forums. I am not alone. Not what toyota used to be.

Towing, comfortable, great driving truck!

Oyi. How about bump your quality back up instead of trying to be the biggest car maker in the world. Probably not buying a toyota again. Tiny parts cost the same as a new transmission. lame.

Big truck mileage, mid-sized performance.
By ygbsm

2005 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I needed a vehicle for reliable transportation to replace my 20 year old F-150. The dealer offered me an awesome deal on a three year old, low mileage Tundra and I took it. Very comfortable, 100% reliable, handles well and holds its value. On the downside is the mileage. Most of my driving is commuting to/from work and I feel fortunate if I get 15 MPG. I want to put a camper (slide-in pop-up type) on it and am extremely limited in what I can get. The tow capacity is more than what I've ever needed but I'd like to have more available. My buddies with 3/4 ton trucks get better mileage than I do.

It's very comfortable and I never, EVER, have questioned whether or not it'll get me where I want to go. The stereo is good, the controls are easy/accessible and it cruises down the interstate with a solid feel.

Nothing...the truck has grown up. Even now, I'd be looking at American trucks for serious hauling capacity.