Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Most Helpful|
WOW!
By Joe

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck brand new. Awesome acceleration, and pulling power. I have pulled things with this truck I shouldn't have. It hasn't let me down yet! Only exceptions is I had to replace two o2 sensors ($90 each). I am driving this truck until the wheels fall off. Only down side is the doors and the access cab needed to be a bit bigger. I love my Toyota! I remember driving off the lot for $14,000 tt&l to include extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, pulling power...

Suggested Improvements

Access cab needs to be bigger

great truck
By vincent black

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited Rwd Stepside SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

great truck never stopped on me strong excel1eration 149000 miles. overdrive censor power window motor gas cap twice and an ongoing problem in the rear. Whenever I stop at light when I release brakes there is a thump in the rear. If anyone has had this problem please share some info

Nicest car I have ever owned
By Michael

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Greatest vehicle ever. Incredible power, not too shabby mpg for a V8. When I first bought it, I drove from Utah to Nebraska and back climbing through Wyoming, fighting strong headwinds and side winds traveling 85 to 105 mph. This truck never missed a beat and got 18 mpg. The only other time I calculated mileage was 2 years ago hauling a 4,000 lb. trailer from Utah to Indiana. I got 10 mpg, but I had no trouble keeping it at 80 to 85 even going up steep inclines. Other than the fact that it needs a new windshield now and the shocks aren't brand new, it still drives like a brand new truck even with 105,000 miles on it. Only regret: not buying leather interior. I never want to sell this truck!

Favorite Features

Still feels, sounds, accelerates, and cruises like a brand new truck with more miles on it than I ever got out of any vehicle made by the "Big 3." Has never needed anything other than routine maintenance and a new heater control knob. Extremely comfortable in the front seats even on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable back seat, bigger towing capacity (both of which are available in later models). Also, would like full-sized 8-foot bed with access cab model. And of course, it seems that no review of a V8-powered vehicle would be complete without a request for better gas mileage. So, improved MPG.

Tundra: Built like a Rock!
By leezjosh

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my truck in August of 2003. Currently has 150,000 miles. It has NEVER refused to start or break down on the road. The only complaint is due to a worn rear bearing, which is somewhat due to wear and tear. Acceleration is very good, leaps ahead of the crowd at stoplights. Very comfy and ergonomically correct interior. Cloth is plushy. Exterior paint is too thin and chips easily. Bumper is not very strong compared to previous Chevy 1500 bumper (Front and Rear) but adequate.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, reliability, camry-like interior.

Suggested Improvements

The paint needs to be thick like the domestic trucks and the bumpers need to be much stronger. However, a stronger bumper may increase chances of whiplash in a car accident.

Tundra
By Roberto

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I had my Tundra in Mexico for 3 years. All we had were dirt roads and since we were on the beach, there was a salt spray problem. This truck is outstanding. It runs just like new and has no rattles.