Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great in the Snow
By Kevin

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

We just ended a record-breaking winter in Washington with about 70 inches for the season (normal is about 8 inches). The Tacoma was unbelievable--even in 15-20 inches on unplowed streets it never quit. We took it out about eight times the first day just for fun while the neighbors were trapped. The truck has also been great on trips and has much more power than the 1998 Taco it replaced. Toyota bought back the old truck because of frame rust and made it easy to buy the new one.

Sound system (added an Ipod interface), access doors, composite bed and the 400 watt AC plug that keeps the wide screen TV working even during power failures!

Built in Ipod interface.

Nice, but strange things
By Lelan Warren

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck, this is my 5 Toyota. But with the 6 speed manual the throttle does strange thing. When you are stopped the RPS are ~ 900 when the truck is rolling and not in gear the RPM go up by them self to ~ 1300? When you are moving in gear and you let off the gas the throttle does not close very fast, it feel like it closes part of the way then in 2 sec it shuts completely. All of this I think hurts the gas mileage 16-17. May be the auto would be better. Yes the cd player need to play MP3s and the 4wd low in trick (but when you learn to push the clutch first it is fine) and the stock tires are low grip. One more thing the plastic bed is very slick. I still like this truck.

Rides very smooth, lots of power. The Limited slip diff is great fun.

MPG, Throttle, MP3s, slick bed

It's a Truck
By King Zhong

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the truck in Greenville, SC. Moved 2 kayaks, boating & camping gear, coolers, etc., from our van into the truck at the dealership. My son and I headed off into the NC mountains in search of whitewater. The 4x4 system worked great. The truck had enough room for our 2 week trip. The double doors made the Access cab useful. The cab has great storage areas.

Bed extender. Movable bed tie downs. Composite bed. Auto dimming mirror (opt). 28 mpg hwy! A lot of storage space in the cab.

Front D rings in the bed MP3 input (added to 2009). Auto dimming mirror interior light off switch. Use GKN electronic torque transfer system.

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

A real truck that doesn't drive like one. Great power for a V6! Roomy interior (I have the "Access Cab" model) with comfortable seats (I have the "SR5" with option package #2).

This truck needs standard iPod and satellite radio adapters. I had to purchase and install an aftermarket iPod/satellite radio interface. Better quality tires and rims should be standard. The factory standard Dunlop tires are garbage and the standard rims look like they came off of a trailer!

Great investment!!
By My BABY!

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this truck as my 5th Toyota, I've had 2 4Runners, a rav4, and a camry. Not to include my families trucks. I drove 3 different models of Tacoma before purchasing mine, all different engines. I settled with the 6 speed manual. I love it to death. I've had it for six months and have nearly 7000 miles on it. I take it on trips often from Augusta, GA to Conway, AR. It does great! It is amazing off road, better than all the other Toyotas I've driven so far. Handles and climbs great. My dad and uncle went and purchased after me. They have automatics though. They love them.

4x4 switch, radio controls on steering wheel, 6 speed reverse notification (beeps once when in gear as it is by first), cup holders! Storage behind and under the rear seats. Comfortable lumbar support for long drives as I have a bad back. 6 disc cd.

MP3 adapter, more easy to read temp gauge, air vent below the steering wheel as they had in the 99 Rav4. This truck handles superb! I'm 22 and have put the truck through some stuff. She's great. Back seat is comfortable for passangers. Could be slightly improved. new model in 2010 :-)