2006 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic 6.1 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Happy Overall

2006 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

V6 Access Cab (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic 6.1 ft. Bed)

Happy Overall
By Central Connecticut on

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck (used) to replace a well-worn full size pickup. It was my hope to buy a smaller truck, and still enjoy the higher ride, spacious cabin, and load-carrying capacity of my old truck, but with better fuel economy. I'm very satisfied on the first two points, but less so on the load-carrying and fuel economy. When this truck is loaded to capacity, the rear springs are almost bottomed out. And the fuel economy is only slightly better than a full size truck. Overall, though, I'm quite happy. It's handling is stiff and glued to the road, like a sports car, but comfortable on long trips. And even for a tall person, the seating and controls are very satisfactory.

Favorite Features

Nimble handling and competent performance on and off road. Cabin accommodations are comfortable and well thought out. The Toyota brand has a superb reputation for reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Heated outside mirrors, a bed light and additional gauges would be appreciated. If higher load capacities were offered as an option, Tacomas could compete better against full sized trucks.