Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Finally Got It!!!
By Troy

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a Tacoma, unfortunately I could never afford one until now. I started out about 3 years ago with my first Truck a 1999 Ranger. While this is a decent truck to start out with, I still wanted my Tacoma. So when I finally decided that I could afford one I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought a 2003 2.7L 5-Speed 4WD extended cab. It has loads more power then my Ranger(2.5L) as well as plenty of torque. While it is not a race engine, it still has plenty of power for what I need to do. I couldn't see wasting my money on a Hemi just to accelerate faster and get 8-10 MPG. The 4WD is superior to any other brand of truck, way better than the ranger.

The 4WD is amazing, and yes a 4 cylinder can pull a Hemi out of a ditch when it gets stuck(I live in Ky it gets quite muddy and wet in the winter) and look good doing it. Plenty of ground clearance, cheaper then a New Dakota. Legendary Toyota reliability

Put the dang clock somewhere else. My steering wheel blocks it and I have to look around it to see it. I am not sure if they have fixed this on the 05 model yet. No other major improvements, it is a great truck!!! I will buy another when the time comes.

Love the Taco
By DDragon

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

TRD and Limited pkgs: Get rid of the factory tires (BF Good All Terrain), horrible in rain (pavement). Not sure Limited pkg was worth the money, but overall the Tacoma has been very reliable. Works great off-road in the mud, sand etc. even w/o 4x4. Great for anyone wanting a truck that works like a full size, but with the smaller frame and enthusiasm to play hard.

Off-road "look" (badge, tires and suspension)

Move clock, more power, improve look of entire dash and instrument panel, gas mileage.

long time toyota owner
By altoona

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

The 5 speed is nice. I like the way this truck handles curves and wet/snowy road surfaces.

Smooth out the drive train, other wise a nice truck.

nice truck/unconfortable pedals too high
By Azael

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

pedals too high make a little unconfortable to drive,other than that is good truck(trusted "toyota" owner)

bigger tires/bigger engine/higher clearance from floor

pedals needs to be lower(for people with long legs,like me)

My Little Mule
By John W. Angel, Jr.

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

TRD Package could do without, downshifts hard when cruise is on and going up a grade, however i've had this truck less than a year and have over 33000 miles on it and its ran trouble free. It is a good riding truck. Get rid of the BF Goodrich tires. I have slid out of control with these tires. Put the Walmart Conten. tires on it and so far I havent had this problem continue.

sets up high so you can see better

move clock, blind spot when looking behind to change lanes.