2003 Toyota Tacoma Base Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sort Reviews by

Originally a Chevy guy
By aspry

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd buy anything "foreign" but I'm glad I did. This is one great truck and can actually be used like one.

Favorite Features

The truck has a four wheel drive shift lever instead of a cheap push button deal. (Sorry Chevy)

Suggested Improvements

Gee I really can't think of anything I'm not satisfied with. Just a great truck.

The little engine that could
By ren

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have to say that this little truck is great for its size. Off road and this little guy can do it ok. I wish it had about 10-15 more ponies, but you cant have everything right. For the money this truck is great. It's reliable and its gets me from A to B. I wish I had an extended cab for more room but I manage in this one. Regular maintenance is good and easy. There is a weird creak or rattle in the dash at times. Wish it had a higher resale. Overall, not a bad little workhorse.

Favorite Features

Acceleration with premium in the 5sp winds up pretty good. Sounds good, handles good, (I would know ;) mileage is a plus

Suggested Improvements

Lift truck off ground a little higher. Make ground behind seat flat without that stupid crossbar behind on the wall. Improve power a little

long time toyota owner
By altoona

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

Favorite Features

The 5 speed is nice. I like the way this truck handles curves and wet/snowy road surfaces.

Suggested Improvements

Smooth out the drive train, other wise a nice truck.

2003 Tacoma
By fixandrepair

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

Favorite Features

IT's a TOYOTA

Suggested Improvements

US factory built should have same quality as "built in Japan" Need clock standard in Radio.

Wonderful small truck
By JimiDGreek

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

Favorite Features

A/C is great. Dash layout is just fine. Stereo play nice. Plenty of cup holders and places to store stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Make clock and intermittent wipers standard. Better seats would be nice too.

Good Basic Truck
By ToyotaTom

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like it. However it is not for tall folks. I am 6'4" should have bought an exta cab.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

Shorten the throw on the manual stick. Get rid of the need to press the clutch in to start the vehicle.

after one year old report
By skyking85711

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

From day one when i went looking for a small quality pick-up truck i knew it was going to be a toyota tacoma 4 - cly 5-spd man. with air and stereo power sterring & power brakes.i never even test drove it as i drove it from the parking lot to in front of the dealership they wrote up the paper work i signed it and left with the truck ,i miss not having a clock and trip-ometer but have learned to live without.tacoma A-OK in my book.

Favorite Features

Drives and handles great nice stereo brakes straight and shifts easily

Suggested Improvements

Put a clock and intermitent wipers encluded in price of the truck.have bucket seats available in this model as well.more color choices.

depenable
By lambd

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

this was an economical buy. it gets me to work, kids to school, and good gas mileage. It seems like it is a solidly built truck and is definately holding it's value so far this year.

Favorite Features

I like the 15 inch wheels and the fule- size spare.

Suggested Improvements

with the exception of the cassete- player, the truck was exactly what i was looking for. I wanted the basic with no extras.

Best Little Truck
By Ulysse

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In the small pickup category the base model Toyota Tacoma can't be beat. Reliability is 100%. I've had no trouble @ all. I live in the Nort East & over the winter made several trips throuout Northern New England & Quebec during a Winter of record cold & snowfall & never once had any problems (pretty remarkable for a 2Wheel Drive ). I do however recommend weight in the back (I used sandtubes) & SNOW!!! tires on all 4 tires. I'm looking forward to many, many miles & years with this base model Toyota Tacoma

Favorite Features

Toyota Quality Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had splurged & got A/C & intermittant wipers.

My first toyota but not my last
By skyking

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had a subaru that was giving to me by my brother 2 years ago that from day one always hesitated when taking off from a stop.it scared me because in a heaverly traffic town it can be dangerous when you pull out with plenty of time yet the car wants to stall on you. plus the air-condition was out so i said i am going to get a toyota tacoma truck .and it has been a blessing so far and i get alot of compliments also.i bought the air and stereo package power steering and abs brakes and that is just the way i wanted .so far it is a real hoot. forgetabout it just enjoy your new TOY>

Favorite Features

nice basic radio system no need to upgrade unless you are deaf

Suggested Improvements

electric clock come free with the truck and put it so you can see it.