Used 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

6 speed SMT
By thatwasme

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT buy an MR2 spyder with the SMT -- it will fail, and Toyota will not be able to fix it. Something about the electronics, which Toyota is now famous for over-engineering and then having it all go haywire, and Toyota's well-deserved reputation for never admitting to screw ups. If you buy ANY Toyota, be sure and get as long a warranty as possible -- these electronics are VERY expensive, and rarely stay fixed for long.

Favorite Features

It's a well-designed machine, no doubt (as far as balance and handling). It's the electronics that's the problem, and Toyota's refusal to acknowledge manufacturing faults in any of their work. Toyota is not honest -- do your own research.

Suggested Improvements

Honesty in owning-up to manufacturing defects, recalls that aren't forced by the government, and goodwill towards customers experiencing known (albeit only internally) manufacturing defects.

Retirement gift
By JimPrice

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2003 new and now have over 32,000 miles. It's been a great car. Eye catching and fun to drive. My wife and I drove it from St. Louis to Seattle and back this summer. It got attention wherever we went. It did great on the mountain curves. We are off to Virginia in it next week and look forward to the trip. You just have to mail your stuff to the hotel ahead of time.

Favorite Features

Sporty feel and drive. Great acceleration in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

Love my spyder
By ilse72

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a fun, sporty little car with lots of energy and easy maneuverability. It has proven to be extremely reliable and, best of all, it is easy on gas.

Favorite Features

Car looks sharp, is spunky and is the right size for me!

Suggested Improvements

I am small and find manual roof hard to lock back into position by myself. A few times, I thought it was latched only to have it pop open about an inch while driving down the interstate.

I love my MR2 Spyder
By Wanda Brown

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My MR2 is so much fun to drive though I agree that there isn't much storage I can put a lot in the lockers and I put a luggage rake on the back for travel. I love the gas mil it gets and the SMT transmission in mine. I'ts not a family car for sure but it works for me and my son.

Favorite Features

leather interior gear changing on the stering wheel soft top SMT the color gas mil

Suggested Improvements

can't make it better it's already there

Most fun ever, even wife agrees
By Dick

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car because of style and price. The Miata is severly under powered and too bland. The MR-2 looks like it's bad-assed brother, and runs circles around it. I bought the green model because it was different and the compliments are amazing. Talk about fun, 0 to 60 in a heart beat without wheel chirp, handles like a dream, like it's on a rail. Even my wife admits that it's way too much fun NOT to take anywhere. The only problem is storage space, there isn't any, so you make do.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Better instrumentation. need gauges instead of idiot lights.