Reliable, practical, it's been a great car.
By thomkatt on
2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)
I bought my Matrix used in '08 with 52k. It's currently at 103k and I still haven't had any problems with it, aside from regular maintenance (oil/filter changes, replaced tires/brake pads). It's my first car and I've really enjoyed its mix of practicality, fuel economy, and relative sportiness. That's sportiness relative to a camry or corolla; it's relatively fun to drive around town, but the fun is limited beyond that. I'm a college student, so the flexible cargo area is great for the frequent moves, group trips to the grocery store, and weekend getaways. As far as style, the asymmetrical dash is cool and the exterior is sporty enough (the solar yellow paint helps). It's been a great car.
Favorite Features
-30 mpg (avg.) -Reliability -Flexible cargo area, with fold flat seats -Ergonomic interior -Sporty styling -The solar yellow paint
Suggested Improvements
-Road noise could be better (by which I obviously mean quieter) -Power is good in town and adequate on the highway, but not much better than that. -Handling and ride quality are adequate, but could be improved. -More standard features. Specifically, rear wipers and automatic side-mirrors, telescoping steering wheel, and more options for driver seat-adjustment. Leather heated seats would be a nice option, too.