High tire pressure ride problems.
By poorthingflint on
2013 Toyota Avalon XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Recently bought this fine vehicle and almost didn't because of harsh suspension response when impacting large road patches and other road irregularities. Drove another car before the one I took home for the little woman to see and drive. Both cars had 18" Michelins and were disappointing in the way they reacted to serious road imperfections. Driving the car I ultimately bought decided to check the tire air pressure. All tires checked just a little shy of 40lbs. Obviously being over inflated by at least 6lbs will cause the ride problems I noticed. With the correct tire pressure the over all ride improved drastically. I would suggest before you road test one check the air pressure.
Favorite Features
Quiet,quiet,quiet. Nice steering feel and weight. Very solid build quality. Zesty power train. Plenty of interior room with a large flat trunk. Supportive seats. Seat Warmers work wonderfully. Nice dash layout with generally easy to use and understand controls. Excellent sound system and very out standing Blue Tooth sound quality sending and receiving.
Suggested Improvements
Although the ride overall is very good for us older folks a little softening of the suspension would take a good ride to a outstanding ride when dealing with low profile 18" tires. I think perhaps tuning of the suspension specially to each tire size might do the trick. To be fair 10-15,000miles of driving might also do the it. Being picky my old body might enjoy long distance trips more if the seat was a little softer but the shape of the seat is so nice this to might be resolved with break in as they are not that far off my tastes. To be fair I am being a little picky here in trying to come up with suggested improvements.. I really like this car as you can tell.
By berkley1
on 05/04/13 16:32 PM (PDT)

I want to thank you for pointing out the tire pressure issue. I test drove a 2013 Limited today and found the hard very rough over bumps. The seats also felt hard compared to the seats in my 2000 Avalon. I thought about your comments and tested the tire pressure. Two tires were at 40 and the others about 38. After the pressure was dropped to 35 by the dealer which is still 2 over the recommended level, the ride improved greatly. However, the seats still seem too firm. Also, I was disappointed that the rear seats no longer recline.

By poorthingflint
on 05/05/13 11:50 AM (PDT)

Hi berkley1, I think the seats (for me at least) might turn out to be like a new pair of shoes that are a little to tight. After wearing them for a while they turn out to be one of your my most comfertable shoes. That's how my first BMW was. Taking the tire pressure down the additional two pounds (cold air temp sfter sitting overnight) will make good better when it comes to the ride. It is amazing to me that so called new car prep misses this important item. Perhaps the new car prep is not being properly performed to be kind.

By planomike
on 05/09/13 12:24 PM (PDT)

Any comments on the limit of one CD in the CD player? I have a 2000 Avalon and make heavy use of the multi-CD capability.

By poorthingflint
on 05/14/13 08:44 AM (PDT)

Yep, I kinda miss the multiple dis capabilities but not as much as I thought I would. There is so much connectivity over all It just not that big a deal.

By 2013avalon
on 06/29/13 14:20 PM (PDT)

Who uses CD's anymore?? Cell phone with bluetooth and MP3 connect is all you need this day and age.