Great car; questionable mileage claims
By scott_k on
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Love the comfort and surprisingly peppy engine (outside of eco mode). Controls are ok, certainly better than our Lexus hybrid with the mouse set-up. Nice and quiet; handles well for a luxury car. Nice design and lines; much more modern than all previous Avalons. Have just 1,800 miles on the car, but don't ever approach 40 or 50 MPG as some reviewers have. I suggest you do the math, and not believe the car calculations. Heated seats heat up quickly and hot; and I like the ease of the climate control system. Stereo is average.
Favorite Features
Comfort. Quietness.
Suggested Improvements
Cheap materials on glove compartment and other storage areas. I would like to be able to listen to the radio when I shut down the engine. Right now, I have to turn it all off, and then turn the power back on. Perhaps I simply don't know how to do this.
By cd7
on 02/08/14 12:53 PM (PST)

Make sure you are driving in "D" for drive and not in the 4th gear, which is easy to do by mistake. When I first got my car I thought I was in drive, but I was in 4th and was getting close to 30 MPG. When I saw I wasn't in Drive and I corrected this, I now easily get 40+MPG on average!! You'll see on your dash when in "D" and it will also show when EV kicks on. Often even up to 45 miles per hour it will kick into EV mode. Unbelievable! I hope this helps! I am enjoying my Avalon Hybrid Limited!!! : )

By jsaldana
on 02/07/14 11:54 AM (PST)

My MPG has dropped up to 20% in the winter from 39+ summer to 35 on average this winter. Your MPG may go up later.

By dallasmavs
on 05/21/14 19:02 PM (PDT)

Even I am getting around 35 mph with the new hybrid. I am getting 40mp on freeway but in city short distance is very low close to 30mph. Not sure why.