2014 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Love this car

2014 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

2.5i Limited 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Love this car
By jons2 on

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I traded in my 04 Highlander for the Outback, primarily because I needed a small SUV type vehicle that would get better gas mileage, and be comfortable on trips etc.
This Outback met all my expectations.
The seats are very comfortable, gas mileage is better now that the engine is broken in and the Chicago weather is warming.
I get about 27MPG in mixed suburban/highway driving with the 2.5 engine.
I noticed that the mileage suffers when the engine is cold (runs richer) and can take some time to warm up on real cold days.
Constant short trips will kill gas mileage, fyi.

Engine has plenty of pep which was an initial concern and I was impressed on how quiet and refined it is.

After 2 yrs and 15000 miles, I still love this car. No issues with anything mechanical or electrical up till now, granted 15000 miles is not a great test of time. Mileage is better in the warmer months than in the winter as it takes a while for it to warm up. I drive mostly short distances so that kills the mileage. I did take it on my first road trip last summer around lake Michigan which encompassed a multitude of 2 lane highway roads. The eyesight technology on the cruise control really proved its worth. The Outback kept a safe distance to the car in front and even stopped when the car in front of me stopped. Has great traction in snow and I love the CVT! FYI, I did have my unlock touch sensor re-programmed by the dealer to include all doors to be unlocked at the touch of the drivers door. Found it more convenient than just having the drivers side unlock.

I believe however that if Subaru adapted direct injection on the cylinders it would greatly improve the performance and MPG on this engine. Also, the logic on the steering wheel switch for radio presets is backwards. If station number 1 is visibly located at the top of the screen and station 6 is at the bottom, would it not make sense to coordinate the steering wheel up down button to the visible location instead of what they have which is a numerical logic order of 1 being at the bottom and 6 at the top? It drives me crazy that I have to consciously think that up is down every time I want to change stations. I hope they fixed that on newer versions. Great car otherwise!

• Road holding
  • Entertainment
  • Usb ports
  • Bluetooth
  • Navigation

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jons2
on 12/04/14 15:06 PM (PST)

Update at 6300 miles: I noticed that driving the car cold really decreases the mileage and I discovered why, at least partially (besides the fact that its running very rich): the car's transmission is programmed to keep the transmission gear ratio in the lower gears while running cold, probably to give more acceleration. You can verify this by moving the transmission lever into the manual position once your speed is constant. You will notice that driving at 50 mph for example, your gear is only in 5th when it could be the top gear ratio (6). Once the car warms up however, moving it to the manual position again at the same speed will show that the transmission is in the high gear ratio (6 on the dash display). So what I have started doing (if I can remember) while the engine is cold, after I reach my cruising speed, I move the lever to manual and up-shift the transmission to the highest gear that it will allow (the dash display will show an up arrow if more gears are available to go in that direction). Watch your MPG display go immediately to higher number in the process.