2011 Subaru Outback Consumer Review: Trading in my Outback on anoth

2011 Subaru Outback - Consumer Review

3.6R Limited Wagon (3.6L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Trading in my Outback on another Outback
By danwatson on

2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I've been very satisfied with our 2011 3.6 Limited Outback. But, it's approaching 70,000 miles and at some point it needs to be replaced. They are making changes to the 2015 model including a CVT transmission for the 3.6, six cylinder engine. The '14's still have a 5 speed auto in the 3.6 models. I don't like CVT's so I've decided to trade in a well worn but reliable '11 Outback. With almost 70,000 miles on a 3 year old car, I'm still getting $17,000 in trade for a new one that was discounted nearly 10% from sticker. This will be my third Subaru and I'm very pleased with the brand.

Favorite Features

Reliability, handling in the snow and ice, appearance inside and out, and smooth engine nicely mated to a solid transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be better, and oil consumption. I understand that Subarus use oil, but I'm not used to having to add oil between regular oil changes. It doesn't leak oil or burn oil, so I don't know where it goes, but I know it's normal.
By subieholic
on 09/21/14 11:37 AM (PDT)

I'm surprised by two of your comments. First, that your car is "approaching 70,000 miles and at some point it needs to be replaced." Yes, at some point, ALL cars need to be replaced. But since Subarus are renowned for their high-mileage capabilities, why do you think you need to replace yours at 70,000? It shouldn't have any problem reaching 300,000 miles. HOWEVER, and this brings me to my 2nd point of contention . . . . . . Since when do Subarus use a lot of oil? Has this been part of your experience, or did you hear it somewhere? I've owned 9 Subarus from 1978 to 2010 models, and (except for an '83 turbo which never did run right since I bought it used) I've had anywhere between 150k and 325k miles on them, and they've NEVER needed oil between oil changes. In fact, the oil always comes out nearly as clean as it went in. Your excessive use of oil is NOT normal for a Subaru. BUT if I happened to get one that does use a lot of oil, I think I'd get rid of it at 70,000 miles, too. Your next one should not use any oil between changes. I think it is in fact leaking out, but maybe it's when you're driving so you don't see the evidence. After all, if you're not burning it and you're not losing it, what alternative is there?