2004 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: A niche car, but fits perfectl

2004 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

X Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

A niche car, but fits perfectly in it.
By speedysteve on

2004 Subaru Forester X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Forester XT for 6 years now, and it has been a very fun car. The only repair I've had is the alternator. It's far faster than it looks and I love being able to floor it on the highway in 5th and it just goes. It looks good, carries a fair amount of stuff when I go camping, and is great in the snow.

I love the engine in this car. It pulls like a much, much bigger motor with little turbo lag. The fold down seats give me plenty of cargo space when I need it, and I can fit 5 people in for short trips. It drives like a tall wagon rather than an SUV like the newer model. Lots of head space (I'm 6'3", and I can wear a fedora while driving).

This car could use a 6th gear. I'm often over 3000rpm on the highway. This would also help with my other complaint, the gas mileage. For what it is and the era it's from, it gets decent gas mileage, but it's been far eclipsed by new technology. Plus, it runs on premium. Long distance trips can get uncomfortable, but I only have the cloth seats, not the leather.