2008 Scion xD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:
Loved This Car
By mcgooey on 06/11/12 06:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car. I stumbled upon this car when it first came out. I think I just got lucky with it. didnt know anything about the car but i had been wonderfully happy with this car. it was fun, sporty. had some get up and go. and there were alot of customizable features that you could add to the car. radio was great. love the ipod hook up feature. I was able to get 40 highway and high 20's city. this car was the love of my life. unfortunately it got squished in between a ford f150 and a ford E150. The car actually held up alot better in the accident then I would have expected from the impact, but the car was a total loss. RIP scion XD

OK, not great.
By whitewolfe001 on 11/04/11 16:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car used at 44k miles. The dealer put on brand new tires, and yet, the car is HORRIBLE in snow! The tires spin/slide not only on a mere coating of snow, but something even on wet roads. It's not a small car problem, because my old Geo Prizm was a champ in snow, and my fiance's Nissan Versa is also quite good. I'm going to have to get winter tires, even though I live 1.5 flat miles from work, because frankly I don't feel safe driving this in any amount of snow. Otherwise, it's OK. The handling is not great. It has a very poor turning radius for a small car, and it's herky-jerky: the gas and brake pedals are too sensitive; it takes quite a lot of finesse to drive smoothly.

Would not buy again
By ts16240 on 05/01/11 16:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The XD was my first brand new car, and I am very disappointed in it. I will be trading it in soon. First off the tires are not great on it. It slides all over the road, rain and snow. I did however find winter tires this year and it went much better, but the cost was high ($600). Driving on the highway is horrible because any little bit of wind and it blows you all over the road. Also when driving with just the front windows down is impossible, it makes a wind tunnel effect and is a killer on your ears, so the back windows have to be down too. I also replaced the charcoal canister twice in it, which happened at 38,000 miles. $1,000+ each time replaced. Not the vehicle I expected.

Tires are garbage
By cfeather on 02/28/11 13:16 PM (PST)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Research this carefully. The Goodrich tires that came on this vehicle new are garbage. Had to be replaced at 24 K. But there are only 2 manufacturers who make a tire for this car. Both are garbage. So what good is reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. if the tires are failing? New tires (Dunlop) were $600 at dealer cost. Wheel bearing went out on my XA at 32K, so I have that to look forward to next! GM parts used on these cars, so this is to be expected.

Compact, fuel efficient and great value.
By agalcowa on 01/23/11 16:08 PM (PST)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I stumbled upon the Scion Xd while looking for a Honda Civic and Mazda 3. The Scion is most different from the Mazda, but is similar to the Civic in the following ways: reliability, fuel efficiency, and compact size. The car is decently built for a compact car. It shares many components from the Toyota Corolla (engine, tranny, etc) and knobs and other items from the Rav4. For any 4-cylinder car that doesn't have a turbo, I recommend the manual for better control and performance, especially when merging onto the freeway. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my Scion and glad that I found it.

Hidden Gem
By Scrapster on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Last week I traded in my Scion tC for an xD. Although some would consider that a "downgrade," the new car fits me much better. So far, I love it! Fun to drive, fantastic fuel economy, solid build quality--I can't understand why these aren't more popular.It has more life than the Versa, Yaris or Matrix, and feels more solid on the highway than the Fit. Okay, I will concede the car's one major flaw--it is most comfortable for shorter drivers. But to me, that's a plus compared to my old tC where I could barely see over the doors! Still, with a seat height adjuster or telescoping steering wheel, the xD would cater to more people.

Great Commutte Car
By Joncab on 06/09/10 23:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great car have not had any issues and now has 34,000 miles. Easy to buy with fixed pricing.

2008 XD auto
By simonccny on 05/11/10 11:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

got this car for $12000, 13k miles , i would say it's a good deal. the car is fun to drive, totally would fit scion's market. i am a 26 years old guy, and have no eager to buy those camery.

My First Toyota
By cormac on 02/26/10 05:27 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought second hand w/40000 miles. Short wheel base gives bumpy ride on wash-board roads. Should improve shocks and suspension. Had one questionable acceleration under damp/rainy conditions.

Very safe car
By Alan on 02/20/10 10:26 AM (PST)

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, ive had it a year and a half now and usually average 33 city, nearly 40 highway. The car drives great, and has enough get up and go for interstate traveling. Its also a very safe car, someone has rear ended me three times now in this car, once just a fender bender, another time on the interstate the guy hit me at about 30 in a suv, just a broken bumper, and most recent i was stopped on the interstate and the ford F150 truck behind me didn't...hit me at about 65-70 mph..i walked away fine and so would anyone in the back seat, the car only dented in a few inches, but about 11,000 in damages...overall its a great safe car. i would highly recommend

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.