Used 2008 Scion xD Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion xD - Consumer Reviews

2008 Scion xD

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Love my Scion xD!!!
By Austin

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I was in the market for a fuel efficient vehicle with a college student budget. I had looked at several popular cars (Corolla, Civic, Impreza, etc) and hadn't thought about Scion. I caught sight of it on a used car lot and before I knew it I was signing the papers. The xD is a reasonably priced car that has great fuel economy. I typically will get about 28-32 around town and 32-36 on the highway. This car has excellent visibility and handles really well on the road. It doesn't accelerate as quickly as I would like, but it's not bad for a four cylinder. I love how much legroom/headroom there is inside-and not just in the front, but as well as the backseat. The back seats fold flat creating a large cargo space, but even with the seats up there is plenty of cargo space. Easy to park, low maintenance cost, extra compartments, plenty of cupholders, the list just goes on. For such an affordable price, it has a lot to offer. The driver seat does not rise/lower which could be an issue for some drivers but the steering wheel can be adjusted. The speedometer/tachometer takes some getting used to as it is sideways-it took me a little while to adjust. Overall I have been pleasantly surprised with my Scion xD and I think I might keep it around for awhile.

Loved This Car
By mcgooey

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car. I stumbled upon this car when it first came out. I think I just got lucky with it. didnt know anything about the car but i had been wonderfully happy with this car. it was fun, sporty. had some get up and go. and there were alot of customizable features that you could add to the car. radio was great. love the ipod hook up feature. I was able to get 40 highway and high 20's city. this car was the love of my life. unfortunately it got squished in between a ford f150 and a ford E150. The car actually held up alot better in the accident then I would have expected from the impact, but the car was a total loss. RIP scion XD

stereo was awesome, handling was great. Sporty look, interior was fun also

starting off with a smaller tires, the tires on this car were kinda big I think

OK, not great.
By whitewolfe001

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car used at 44k miles. The dealer put on brand new tires, and yet, the car is HORRIBLE in snow!
The tires spin/slide not only on a mere coating of snow, but something even on wet roads.
It's not a small car problem, because my old Geo Prizm was a champ in snow, and my fiance's Nissan Versa is also quite good.
I'm going to have to get winter tires, even though I live 1.5 flat miles from work, because frankly I don't feel safe driving this in any amount of snow.
Otherwise, it's OK.
The handling is not great.
It has a very poor turning radius for a small car, and it's herky-jerky: the gas and brake pedals are too sensitive; it takes quite a lot of finesse to drive smoothly.

I was in a hurry to get a car because my previous car failed safety inspection, and I admit I bought the Scion mostly because it was cute. It's cute all right. That's about all I can say about its good features. It's been reliable, sure... it starts. It's OK on gas but not as good as I expected for such a small car. I get 30 miles to the gallon city in the summer if I drive super carefully, but only 27-28 city in the winter when they change the fuel mix (I'm in New England.) My V6 Pontiac Grand Prix got 21-22, so this is not a great improvement in gas mileage for such a reduction in driving enjoyment.

There are weird front end noises that no one can diagnose. I prefer automatic daytime running lights for safety, and to ensure I don't accidentally leave the headlights on, although it does warn you if you try. It's herky-jerky: the gas and brake pedals are TOO sensitive, not a smooth ride. There's a lot of engine/road noise. The aerodynamics are messed up; you can't just open a front window or you'll get a weird interior air vibration (my fiances Nissan Versa does this also). You have to crack a back window also to avoid the weird weird tunnel buzz.

Would not buy again
By ts16240

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The XD was my first brand new car, and I am very disappointed in it. I will be trading it in soon. First off the tires are not great on it.
It slides all over the road, rain and snow. I did however find winter tires this year and it went much better, but the cost was high ($600). Driving on the highway is horrible because any little bit of wind and it blows you all over the road. Also when driving with just the front windows down is impossible, it makes a wind tunnel effect and is a killer on your ears, so the back windows have to be down too. I also replaced the charcoal canister twice in it, which happened at 38,000 miles. $1,000+ each time replaced. Not the vehicle I expected.

plug in for ipod, room to hull stuff when the back seats are folded down

It'd be nice if tires were easier to find, and cheaper.

Tires are garbage
By cfeather

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Research this carefully. The Goodrich tires that came on this vehicle new are garbage. Had to be replaced at 24 K. But there are only 2 manufacturers who make a tire for this car. Both are garbage. So what good is reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. if the tires are failing? New tires (Dunlop) were $600 at dealer cost. Wheel bearing went out on my XA at 32K, so I have that to look forward to next! GM parts used on these cars, so this is to be expected.