Used 2008 Scion xD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Scion Xd - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:

Loved This Car
By mcgooey

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car. I stumbled upon this car when it first came out. I think I just got lucky with it. didnt know anything about the car but i had been wonderfully happy with this car. it was fun, sporty. had some get up and go. and there were alot of customizable features that you could add to the car. radio was great. love the ipod hook up feature. I was able to get 40 highway and high 20's city. this car was the love of my life. unfortunately it got squished in between a ford f150 and a ford E150. The car actually held up alot better in the accident then I would have expected from the impact, but the car was a total loss. RIP scion XD

Favorite Features

stereo was awesome, handling was great. Sporty look, interior was fun also

Suggested Improvements

starting off with a smaller tires, the tires on this car were kinda big I think

OK, not great.
By whitewolfe001

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car used at 44k miles. The dealer put on brand new tires, and yet, the car is HORRIBLE in snow! The tires spin/slide not only on a mere coating of snow, but something even on wet roads. It's not a small car problem, because my old Geo Prizm was a champ in snow, and my fiance's Nissan Versa is also quite good. I'm going to have to get winter tires, even though I live 1.5 flat miles from work, because frankly I don't feel safe driving this in any amount of snow. Otherwise, it's OK. The handling is not great. It has a very poor turning radius for a small car, and it's herky-jerky: the gas and brake pedals are too sensitive; it takes quite a lot of finesse to drive smoothly.

Favorite Features

I was in a hurry to get a car because my previous car failed safety inspection, and I admit I bought the Scion mostly because it was cute. It's cute all right. That's about all I can say about its good features. It's been reliable, sure... it starts. It's OK on gas but not as good as I expected for such a small car. I get 30 miles to the gallon city in the summer if I drive super carefully, but only 27-28 city in the winter when they change the fuel mix (I'm in New England.) My V6 Pontiac Grand Prix got 21-22, so this is not a great improvement in gas mileage for such a reduction in driving enjoyment.

Suggested Improvements

There are weird front end noises that no one can diagnose. I prefer automatic daytime running lights for safety, and to ensure I don't accidentally leave the headlights on, although it does warn you if you try. It's herky-jerky: the gas and brake pedals are TOO sensitive, not a smooth ride. There's a lot of engine/road noise. The aerodynamics are messed up; you can't just open a front window or you'll get a weird interior air vibration (my fiances Nissan Versa does this also). You have to crack a back window also to avoid the weird weird tunnel buzz.

Would not buy again
By ts16240

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The XD was my first brand new car, and I am very disappointed in it. I will be trading it in soon. First off the tires are not great on it. It slides all over the road, rain and snow. I did however find winter tires this year and it went much better, but the cost was high ($600). Driving on the highway is horrible because any little bit of wind and it blows you all over the road. Also when driving with just the front windows down is impossible, it makes a wind tunnel effect and is a killer on your ears, so the back windows have to be down too. I also replaced the charcoal canister twice in it, which happened at 38,000 miles. $1,000+ each time replaced. Not the vehicle I expected.

Favorite Features

plug in for ipod, room to hull stuff when the back seats are folded down

Suggested Improvements

It'd be nice if tires were easier to find, and cheaper.

Tires are garbage
By cfeather

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Research this carefully. The Goodrich tires that came on this vehicle new are garbage. Had to be replaced at 24 K. But there are only 2 manufacturers who make a tire for this car. Both are garbage. So what good is reliability, fuel efficiency, etc. if the tires are failing? New tires (Dunlop) were $600 at dealer cost. Wheel bearing went out on my XA at 32K, so I have that to look forward to next! GM parts used on these cars, so this is to be expected.

Compact, fuel efficient and great value.
By agalcowa

2008 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I stumbled upon the Scion Xd while looking for a Honda Civic and Mazda 3. The Scion is most different from the Mazda, but is similar to the Civic in the following ways: reliability, fuel efficiency, and compact size. The car is decently built for a compact car. It shares many components from the Toyota Corolla (engine, tranny, etc) and knobs and other items from the Rav4. For any 4-cylinder car that doesn't have a turbo, I recommend the manual for better control and performance, especially when merging onto the freeway. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my Scion and glad that I found it.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy (I average 30 in the city and 38 on the highway), I find the driver's seat pretty comfortable and I'm 6'3". This isn't the type of car I would call amazing, but for my daily commuter it's more than I could ask for.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest downside of the Scion Xd is the road noise - the engine sound and road noise is louder than I prefer. I plan on keeping the car for a while, so I'm going to install some Dynamat which should reduce the noise substantially. I wouldn't have purchased a Civic or Mazda because of the noise though.