2005 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:
Shame on Nissan!!
By torrdcs on 05/30/13 05:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased at 64000 miles, drove it, loved it, no problems at all other than the tire pressure light after so many miles of consistent driving. Then, at 121,000 miles, boom... transmission failure. Upon further research, it is a NISSAN DEFECT in the radiator that Nissan refuses to address more than a little warranty increase, and even THAT took a lawsuit. I spent $3000+ over a period of 8 months to fix it and it still wasn't fixed. I had to purchase another vehicle to drive while it was down. I ran out of money, so I was forced to trade the XTerra with $3500 of negative equity, totaling near $7000 that I lost on this vehicle, due to Nissan and its ways. NEVER. AGAIN.

Fun to drive
By haus1984 on 01/24/13 09:19 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this a year ago at 67K miles. In that time I've put about 20K on it. This thing is a lot of fun to drive. It will get up and go! Turns on a dime for an SUV. Seats 5 comfortably. The rear and passenger seats fold down easily and allow for a lot of cargo. It rides nicely and is very comfortable both on and off road. By off road I mean actual trails. Mine has VDC and it works great in snow & mud. Great visibility in all directions. The interior is cheap plastic. Things slide around in the “trunk.” Tire Pressure siren goes off a lot. I’m not going to overinflate the tires so I live with it. I check the trans fluid for murkiness often just to be on the safe side. Haven’t had an issue yet.

Loved it... Until the dreaded radiator leak/transmission failure
By kaja91 on 09/28/12 08:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used @ a dealer & immediately was planning my next purchase of a NEW X-Terra (in several years). Spent $2k in repairs, then @ 95k miles the tranny failed due to the now well-known radiator leak into the transmission. Nissan won't help & Nissan dealers (who all know of this NISSAN design flaw/defect) cut the trade value in 1/2, which leaves the once loyal consumer stuck with a car they can't afford to fix, but are too upside down to trade in affordably. Boo on Nissan for its lack of remediation on a defect which statistically fails well after their 80k mile warranty. Lost a loyal customer. These should not be allowed for resale w/out a documented fix preventing fail. BEWARE LEMON!

I Made it to 140k Miles
By silentrick on 07/26/12 12:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been pretty pleased overall with my 2005 Xterra. I have over 140,000 miles on it and I'm just now experiencing major issues with it. I've had recurring issues with the O2 sensors going out more than once and now I need a new catalytic converter. I wasn't aware of the transmission and radiator issues on the 2005 models until I read this post. As it turns out, I too have an issue with a cracked radiator leaking into my tranny and now I need to replace both. I thought it could have been due to a minor fender bender a few months back but now I'm not so sure, especially because I was hit in the rear. Seems like I got lucky to have made it as far as I did on mine.

shame of American Nissan
By zeus48 on 05/18/12 07:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2005 X-Terra because I very much like the VQ engine series and their automatic transmissions. The first thing was the cheap interior seats began to shred. At 60K the paint is flaking off the roof and the factory knows it had white paint problems (no roof clear coat) at the factory and sold the vehicles anyway. No help from the dealer or factory. I bypassed the radiator w/a tow external cooler. The gas guage sender is failed, the fuel vapor recovery sytem is failed and now the loop cam chains need replacing along w/ the tensioner. I love driving this truck but it is a mess considering it's age. I believe the responsibility rests with American Nissan management and cheaper is better

Hanging on by a thread
By sparrow1257 on 01/31/12 21:02 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the car but will never purchase another Nissan. I bought the car new and starting at 15k miles the repairs started and never ended: tensioned assembly replaced three times, all brake assemblies replaced at 25k miles, transmission and radiator replaced due to fluid peeking into the transmission, cracked transfer case, bad veil and oil sending units, abs assembly on the driver side completely failed, coolant leaking onto passenger side firewall. Fortunately I purchased the 100k extended. I have 105k miles on the car. My total out of pocket for the past year would have been $18k if not for the warranty!! That is a new car! Nissan also damaged car during repairs and refused to pay.

Recall and all the known issues
By usmcjarhead on 01/29/12 16:54 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Xterra S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Hardy J…in PA. Bought a 2005 Nissan X terra from Sheehy in Glen Burnie, MD. I did research on the Xterra’s before I bought the SUV and people were OK with the model and the gas mpg were crappy. I was happy with mine for months then…..the fuel sending unit went out, had the sensor recalls done, I paid for the front hubs out of my own pocket and now…..the radiator leaked into the transmission just like Nissan expected. 100’s of people texted, wrote, emailed, complained about all the known issues with the xterra’s. All the issues were like text book. Some owner issues were paid under warranty, some paid out of pocket, some had financial help from Nissan Corporate and some bit the bullet and were out of thousands like me. I can not afford to pay for the radiator replacement, new tranny and replace the catalytic converts. Contacted Nissan corp., they said I was way passed the warranty for the tranny and radiator repair. Nissan knew the Xterra had issues with the 2005 to 2007, but they would not recall all the issues. I’ve seen many sites with some pissed off owners because they are left with a lemon. I never knew I would get screwed by a car manufacture. Some owners were in the middle of the road with their families when the tranny died. Its worst than the issues with the Camrys killing people. The Xterra is a nice SUV minus the 2005 to 2007.

Loved it, but...
By citychild on 10/30/11 07:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just traded it because we couldn't afford 16/mpg average. The only significant problem we had was around 88k, our A/C stopped working--crucial in Phoenix. We found out it was the radiator which was plugged at 30%. We were told since it's such a small radiator, this caused the A/C to stop working. Thankfully, we had an extended warranty because the bill for this was costly because there was a lot of figuring out what to do before they figured it out. Between the gas, the cost of tires ($200/each) and oil changes ($50 each) we traded our car. It was a sad day, but we will be happier at the gas station, that's for sure.

Found a friend with Nissan
By troberts3 on 09/21/11 19:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra S Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned a Cadillac CTS when I bought "The X" and didn't drive the CTS for three weeks because I loved The X so much. Purchased used 05/2010 at 65K, now has 101K. I have replaced NOTHING! Solid, reliable truck with compartments everywhere for storage. Finally sold my Cadillac because I liked the Nissan better. I will stay with Nissan as long as they keep making vehicles like this one. My ONLY complaint: Back seat leg room. My friends have a lot of trouble getting in and out. One other thing: Tire pressure light comes on after traveling a constant speed for 40-50 miles. Does it every time. I think it's the new tires. Not sure...

radiator/transmission
By cindy0710 on 07/12/11 22:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Xterra SE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I, too, have experienced the faulty radiator leaking into the transmission and ruining it...I have 109000 miles so it is beyond the 80000 mile warranty and nissan wants thousands to fix it....acknowledging that the faulty radiator caused the problem, not wear, tear, etc.....so now they want me to pay the hefty bill for a new radiator and transmission for a defect in the automobile....Shame on Nissan for not recalling and fixing this problem