1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class - Consumer Reviews

420SEL 4.2L V8 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )
Last year the for the simple 'Big Benz'
By JayKinfFL on 07/05/10 11:21 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

1991 was the last year for this body style, and Mercedes certainly got their money's worth out of the design - it has been in production since the 1980 model year. Trunk space is great for a foreign car (larger than Lexus LS400 or Infiniti Q45), but not nearly as spacious as Deville or Continental. Fuel economy is not great, acceptable for a car of this size - but made even worse since you must use premium (min. 91 oct.) fuel. Interior room is cavernous - and the front seat adjustments (and telescoping steering column) can be tailored to make just about any size driver comfortable. Acceleration isn't as swift as the larger 560 series, but considerably better than the 6-cyl. 300 models.

Timeless quality
By Neil Pollock on 05/23/08 14:54 PM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

I purchased the 420 SEL with 35K miles for the price of a new Maxima in '99. The S Class has a smooth, comfortable ride and has the feeling of a bank vault. At 65 mph you can hear the ticking of the still accurate clock. This S is spacious, handles well under all conditions, and even at 17 years old is better than most new cars. The car still garners respect and perhaps best of all, it is long paid off. I have been told by more than a few Mercedes experts that the '91 420 SEL was one of the best of the modern Mercedes Benz autos. They are an investment. When you fix a Benz you still have a Mercedes Benz.

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420SEL 4dr Sedan
By My 420SEL on 12/01/07 13:46 PM (PST)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

This Mercedes 420 SEL is my pride & joy. The comfort and safety of this car is better than some of the newer ones, for 16 years young and with a 113,000 miles on it, she still performs every time its called upon.This is a quality built car.

Older but better
By william hockinson on 06/24/07 17:00 PM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

The Mercedes 420 SEL has preformed well for our family for over 10 years. Still offers the comfort and safety as new cars. The car is now sixteen years young and running strong. With only 74,000 we expect to own this car another ten years. Just because a car is old, does not mean it is not a well made.

Great Car
By steveyacht on 09/21/06 07:13 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for well over 6 years having obtained it with 87,000 miles. Currently has over 150,000 and still runs like a fine Swiss watch.

Road Hog
By WILLIAM POWE on 05/21/06 11:30 AM (PDT)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

This car has always made people look twice. I drove around the state of Florida from Pensacola to jacksonville, Miami, key west, Tampa, Orlando, and back! The more I drove, the stronger the car bacame. And the more the heads turned! It is like a big sports car. Average speed 80. MPG 17(moon roof open) I am a big man 6'3 280 and the leg room is what I love, front or back! Beware of A/C. Like all Hogs these babys eat a lot. But if you can feed one it will pay off. At 115000 miles this car is young and feels like it. Last week I drove the family to Disney, in the big SUV, and how I missed the comfort of the Benz. Bad note: 85 mph feels like 65.

mymercedes
By jerry on 11/02/05 10:34 AM (PST)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

I own a 420SEL Mercedes. Its one of the best cars I ever owned. The other day I saw young lady driving a beautiful Mercedes, I thought it was one of the sharpest cars I'd seen in a while. Little did I realize it was my daughter driving my car. She had gone to the house and borrowed it while her car was in the shop. It's a solid built car and it really moves on the highway. Very comfortable to drive and very dependable.

420SEL
By vpmx on 02/05/05 12:57 PM (PST)

1991 Mercedes-Benz 420-Class 420SEL 4dr Sedan

Great looking, solid, great in snow. Heavy steering until moving at speed. Plenty of room - long car. No remote for door locks.