2005 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:
a few years in
By tbg on 01/22/12 22:49 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our MPV ES in Oct 2008 with 46,000 on it. It currently has about 114,000 on it and doesn't seem to be much different from when we bought it. To date, it has required relatively infrequent and minor fixes: a minor ($300) fuel thing (forgotten what precisely) at 90k, a small water pump leak at 108k.

Too Bad They Don't Still Make Them
By ANewcomb on 08/02/07 22:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Spent a lot of time researching for our first minivan since baby no. 3 is on the way and I abhor the idea of being a minivan owner. Looked at everything, but had to go with something small enough to fit down my ridiculously narrow drive way. Ended up looking for a MPV ES used since they stopped making them with the '06s. We're not the biggest people and our kids are all small at this point so this van is just the right size for us. Only had it a couple weeks but it really works well for us. It handles great, rides like a car and has sporty looks. Friend of mine just bought an '04 Honda Odyssey EX cloth seats and 35000 miles and paid the same that I did for my 05 MPV ES that's loaded.

fun van, right size for city
By dude on 02/01/07 17:01 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought an 05 demo with 5k miles. Really like this van. Maybe it's just that it was a full option demo, but I find it preferable to all but the new Honda. But paid $15k less than equally optioned Honda would have cost.

Love that MPV except....
By Mary on 02/16/06 17:37 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning and loving a 2000 MPV we purchased a 2005 Mazda MPV leftover with the $425 towing package. One would assume the vehicle would be ready to accept the hitch receiver and wiring harness but no. Required: new muffler, exhaust tip, and gasket in order to install the hitch. Just shy of an additional $1,000 installed at the dealership. Oh, and lets not forget that the vehicle is rated and advertised to tow 3000 pounds yet the hitch receiver is rated 2000. Include the proper muffler with the tow package or at least include this info in MPV literature. Besides that it is one fantastic versatile vehicle.

2005 MPV
By dav mc on 01/25/06 22:06 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2004 Odyssey was totaled by another driver. The MPV was the best value for the features. It drives better than our Honda and looks much sportier. We were able to get it for 36 dollars under invoice, then the dealer took off $4000 in rebates. They even delivered it to me and signed the paper work on my kitchen table. This is my 3rd vehicle purchase through the internet and all have been great. I actually enjoy driving this van although it is my wife's. If you are a smaller adult (under 6 foot and under 200 #s) the seats will fit you better than the domestic vans. We have only had it a few weeks, but love it so far.

Great looking, Great value!
By Bjorn on 09/23/05 18:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this van a month ago and we have been very pleased with our purchase. We needed a more compact van to fit in our small garage spot. Despite its compact size, the MPV still has a very practical interior compared to an SUV. Fold the third row and remove the two middle seats and this baby will swallow anything. We got an ES with leather, sunroof and power doors for $24K. Comparable Toyota and Honda models would have cost thousands more. We've even gotten a few compliments from the neighbors about the looks of the car! On the downside, the interior is definitely due for a redesign, and the motor is not as powerful or refined as the latest offerings from Honda or Toyota.

A True "Minivan" that's fun to drive
By cope1 on 08/31/05 18:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the MPV because of it's smaller size and firm ride. It handles almost like our 2002 Camry and is just as easy to park. The build quality is the best I have had in many years; even better than our 2002 Camry. Fit & finish are excellent. I would always like more power; but remembering the old 4 cylinder. minivans, the MPV has plenty. The MPV's acceleration seems to be on a par with my heavier 1999 Explorer V8. Braking is very good. Admittedly it's not as large as most of it's competitors; but larger isn't always better.

soccer mom has never had so much fun
By kirk on 06/24/05 19:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm only 12 and my mom and I were not very happy about the idea of a minivan. My dad told us to see if we liked the Mazda and we did. The power and and style of it are great. My mom and I have both think this is the coolest minivan there is. Lots of power makes a mom in a Yukon turn red.

Highly Regarded
By Mary on 04/06/05 16:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

You'll love to drive this! My husband even likes to drive it, and he's picky.

Why Pay More for Honda and Toyota
By Justin Owens on 03/26/05 16:15 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this van for a month, but with all the features the MPV has, why pay more for the Honda or Toyota? We purchased the ES, with everything on it. It has leather, DVD, moonroof, power doors -- it's loaded. Sticker on this MPV was $32,190, but after using S-plan and rebates we only paid $26,718. This saved me almost $10,000 compared to the Honda and Toyota equipped the same. The only thing you lose with the MPV is the room. It is smaller than the others, but it feels more like a car than a van. I have not had any of the issues stated by the editors review. The MPV is a great value and fun to drive, plus you don't see these at every stop light like you do the Honda and Toyota.