Used 2002 Mazda MPV ES Minivan Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

Decent family van
By Andrea

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've enjoyed the benefits of this smaller-sized van. Our family fills it, but it has met our needs. With wise packing and a rooftop carrier, we can carry whatever we need. Ours has about 115 k miles on it, and ran well until about a year ago. We have spent quite a bit of money on repairs recently, and the "check engine" light continues to indicate a problem. I think it is nearly time to replace it, but it has served us well.

Sunroof, easy to maneuver and fits into small parking spots, auto side doors, leather seats, sliding center seat

Gear shift location, can't control rear temperature in the front, long-term reliability

$500.00+ for 6 spark plugs/tune up
By no more mazdas 4me

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission went out at 50,100 miles during my stay in Dallas after evacuating hurricane katrina. Mazda paid about 45%. I have no boat, have not pulled anything, just three small kids then. The coil packs that replaced the spark plug wires are terrible. If you have a problem with any of the back 3 cylinders bend over!!! Tires seem to wear very fast, though evenly, on the potholes of New Orleans streets. I see I am not alone with these problems.

Rides like a car! Seating options and sporty look for a van. Many people thought it was a suv on first glance.

Discount to all owners on next Mazda.

Vehicle is over 7yrs old, with 166600
By M. Kontny

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Mazda MPV Mini Van in 2005 and now it has 166,000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with my van, the only draw back is that the vehicle is starting to show rust in certain areas. I live in Wisconsin and we had a pretty harsh winter last year so there was plenty of salt to do the damage it has done to my vehicle. Otherwise, it still runs like a charm, do regular maintenance on it, replace tires once now they need to be replaced again. Air conditioner isn't working, need to have that checked. Rear heat isn't functioning due to the fact that the piping that runs within the rear wheel well has rotted out. Will have to fix this also. But overall, I really like the Mini Van.

Find a better way to route the rear heating and A/C antifreeze and freon, stupid to run it in the rear wheel well where you know that its going to corrode causing expensive repair.

Completely Happy
By Alvin

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I wanted a minivan that wasn't so bulky, with 3RD row stow away seats, and something with decent power under the hood. The 3.0L motor is both powerful and smooth. You forget it's a minivan you're driving. The 5 speed automatic makes a world of difference on the freeway and we've found it to be smooth on shifts. We have 118,000 miles, and so far so good. We were going to buy a Honda, but after research, they had just as many complaints from its customers and was bigger than we liked

Smaller, less bulky, fits in garage with room to spare. Third row stow away seats, 2nd row sliding door windows roll down. Smooth and powerful 3.0L engine. 5speed transmission(knock on wood). Car like feel. Safety features such as ABS, side air bags, very good front and side impact rating.

overall exterior design could be better, especially the rear end. Radio is down right awful(worst part about the car in my opinion.)Placement of shifter when in drive.

My unreliable 2002 MPV
By Nigel

2002 Mazda MPV Minivan ES 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience started with trading in my 2000 MPV, which had been reliable but underpowered, for the 2002. The tires went bald at 55k km (about 30k miles) and I had to pay lots for Turenza's with a 150k tread warranty. After the warranty expired lots of problems - front axle stabilizers both went during a road trip, hand brake cable ($250 to fix!), rear shocks, tranny cooler, 4 sets of front rotors, and finally the transmission linkage while it was getting serviced at the dealership!! Mileage was always poor for the 3L engine and tranny frequently banged while shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing the computer didn't help. Happy ending though - I got $3k trade in last week for a Matrix!

Drives like a sports car. When tranny in a good mood shifts smoothly like silk. Fold down back seats and removable middle seats give lots of hauling room. Air conditioning always worked well for the 6 1/2 years I had it. Always found Mazda service staff to be willing to go extra mile.

Better fuel economy. Better transmission. Better reliability.