Used 2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata model:

If it is Miata, buy it
By secil

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

It is a rare car, turbo-charged engine powers car great. This is one still called Miata. Mazda people dropped miata name, so pity. New Mazda is not good as Mazdaspeed Miata. If you find one, buy it. It is rare car, I looked for it everywhere. It is hard to find, easy to drive.

Rims, tires, Bose 6 cd changer in dash, performance, fog lights, leather seats, rear wheel drive especially driving over 100 mph, gas mileage, exterior design, weight, easy to park.

6-speed is not bad but prefer 5-speed. Power top would be nice but not that much problem. Tilt steering wheel,more powerful turbo with 220 HP like Lotus Elise. New 2 liter Mazda turbo will be coming but only 200 hp, not good enough. 2 cup holder, raise redline rpm, stronger A/C.

Unsatisfied
By aargonaut

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this as a replacement for a 2000 BMW Z3 2.3 w/5 speed manual. I've had the Mazda for less than a week and I want to get rid of it. It is quick, turns on a dime, has a good stereo, and is fine to run around in. However, the seats are too soft and uncomfortable, on a rough road my teeth rattle, and I find the 6 speed transmission is geared too close so that I am constantly shifting. I'm getting rid of it as fast as I can. It also gets lousy gas mileage for a small 1.8 liter engine.

Turbo is fun, drives like a go cart.

They made them for 2006.

I Never Smiled So Much on My Way to Work
By Jeff from Arizona

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had many sports cars in my life, but none have put so many smiles on my face as this little roadster. I used to hate red lights, but now I can't wait for them as I get to run through the gears. It's not the fastest, but you will definitely be in a close second for about 20K+ less than the other guys. Lots of looks and people trying to figure out how a Miata got a hold of some steroids. I live and drive in beautiful Arizona and with this car the views don't get much better. Do yourself a favor a take one for a test drive. Go look at the S2000, Z4, Solstice (whenever it comes out; I drove one of the first Pontiac Fiero's off the line, and I won't ever do that again) -- you'll get MX-5.

Driving it!

Not any that make any sense, such as a bigger trunk, better ride, and gas mileage. It's a sports car with sports suspension, turbo, and little roadster.

Miata MX-5 turbo
By tim kemp

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

PROS: fun to drive! Quick with a turbo boost you can really feel. Handles well. Dash and instrument lay-out and quality of interior is excellent. Not an automatic drop-top but so easy to do it doesn't matter. Friends take one look and say "this is not your ordinary Miata". CONS: short leg room (needs cruise control for long drive). Weak A/C in hot weather, but adequate.

See above.

See above and would like a larger engine.

Mazda Miata "Best Bang for the Buck"
By Carol Scott

2005 Mazda Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata 2dr Roadster (1.8 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I own several performance cars, a Superformance 427" Cobra among them. The Miata offers the best road handling performance of all. Although not as fast as the Cobra in acceleration, it handles far better. Interior arrangements are above average for a car in this price range.The body style is perfect, and looks like a much more expensive sports car.

Road handling is exceptional.

The car could use more power with a larger engine.