2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
awesome mazda
By cuda67 on 09/22/14 09:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I"ve had this car since 2008 it had 178,000 miles on it now it has 250,000 mileson it. The still drives like it was new. The hatch back is so awesome and gives the car a sporty profile. I still get 29mpg with a 4speed AT. The car has more then pad for it's self in value.

Love at first Zoom
By ZoomZoom-NC on 06/09/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As a family we needed a third vehicle to cover our increasing transportation needs. We own a van and an SUV and thought a sedan would balance out the family vehicle situation. We bought this car after realizing that though many Civics and Camrys out there would certainly do, many were abused by their previous owners and made for a pretty shabby used car. The local Mazda dealer explained how Mazda owners tend to have a special bond with their car and treat it nicer, and after about a week with the Mazda6 I could completely understand why. I'll never buy from another car manufacturer again. Even though its a rock bottom base model, it still evokes some jealousy in my friends. They can't tell.

Overall we love it
By maz5maz6 on 06/01/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new and have over 50K on it after 4.5 years. Only issues have been an LCD display problem (very recently at the 4.5 year mark so it's out of warranty) and the plastic around the lower end of the steering wheel column rubbing against something and sometimes "creaking" very low as you drive -- otherwise the fit and finish of the car was/is excellent. We avoided the 6cyl version as that was a Ford engine with noted reliability issues. Besides being a little underpowered, the 2.3 4cyl has been excellent so we bought the same the next year in our Mazda5 (which has also been excellent after 50K miles). Overall we've been very pleased with our Mazda6 "Sport" (hatchback).

WOW
By larrybrwn on 06/02/08 11:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Who says you can't have it all in the same package and have it be affordable never owned a Mazda! Way to go guys. Cant wait for my next one. That is if this one ever dies. 80,000 miles on it now and still no problems!

Take it or leave it
By amanda2471 on 12/03/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like my mazda because its has a nice design, an amazing amount of space, and its a nice ride. I was also impressed at how nice the car was a really reasonable price. However it has not always been a very reliable car. At only 3000KM the fuel pump died and I didnt have a car for 2 months because the part was on back order in Japan. Then at 15000KM I had break problems and the break clips had to be replaced. Then last week at 58000KM the transmission died. My lease is up in appox 9 months and because of all the reliabilty problems I probably wont buy a mazda again.

2004 Mazda6
By Toubas on 04/11/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda6 is fun to drive. You may lose some tires because of the low clearance in some poorly maintained New York streets. The car does not like severe rain downpours either. I lost a fan blade that hit the radiator and pierced it during a rainstorm. The Mazda dealer said it was an "act of God." and the warrantee was not honored. I wrote mazda at no avail. Good car, poor service and a company that is not consumer oriented. I would not recommend it. A calm, careful driver.

Fun to Drive & Useful
By NiCkIsThEmAn on 12/01/05 14:28 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am a previous owner of a 2000 Grand Prix Supercharged. After driving that torque monster this car is slow off the line, but the power above 3500 is decent. This is no stoplight blaster nor is it a slug. The 2.3L has enough juice to merge and pass at speed. The suspension/handling is excellent, even on the busted-up streets here in the Northeast. Build quality is solid. I do 80% city or heavy traffic driving and this car gets the job done. I love to have cargo capacity without having to drive a big slow gas-guzzler-box. If you are looking for a fun-to-drive, versatile car with decent fuel economy, this may be the one for you.

MAZDA6 i hatch
By natural on 09/11/05 14:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Lots of features in an attractive package. Reliability unfortunately has declined just as Consumer Reports has indicated in the 6. Throttle problems and now a malfunction in the Bose stereo. A few rattles as well. My previous '90 MX-6 GT was a better car, actually the best car I ever owned. May trade it for a Toyota. I bought it due to the safety ratings.

Formerly Honda, now Mazda owner!
By traveler777x on 05/09/05 09:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 6i hatch (auto) for over 10 months and put on almost 14K miles. Mazda got it right! I'm a former Honda Civic owner (15 years, 3 Civics) who wanted more features and horsepower and did not want to lose reliability. So far, I have had no issues (other than a little sputtering in the cold with no warmup). The 6i is not as quick to accelerate under 20mph as my Civic was, but it's not a VTEC. The gas mileage truly stinks with the way I drive; I've gotten as low as 19mpg and no higher than 26.5mpg so far. Car hugs the curves, though. I wish it came in a hybrid - I'd trade this one in for it. The amount of room I have is astonishing. I recommend test driving to see if it's for you.

Not a bad car for the $$$$
By mattywat on 04/24/05 14:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a great car; been buying hatchs for years, GTI's, CRX's and so on. Love the exterior and interior. Standard sport package "makes" the car. Kinda wish I could have afforded the V6.